Increasing Sustainable Pace

  • henrikjernevad
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 9, 2008
      During a discussion with my boss, I started really thinking about
      sustainable pace. What is it, and why do people (or is it just me?)
      assume it corresponds to a 40 hour work week? Why not 35, 45, or even
      55? Just playing safe on 40 seems a waste, if I and my team can do better.

      I put my thoughts into a blog post. Feel free to read and comment.

      http://henko.net/imperfection/increasing-sustainable-pace/

      Best Regards,
      Henrik Jernevad
    • henrikjernevad
      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 13, 2008
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Little"
        <jhlittle@...> wrote:

        > Within your post is a great idea: that we should never be satisfied
        > with what we have accomplished. And should always be looking at
        > ways to get better.

        Thanks for noticing. ;-) That was the main thought I had when I wrote
        the blog post as well. Unfortunately, however, I don't think it came
        across all too well.

        > However, in my view you are stuck on one mode of measurement that is
        > not terribly relevant: number of hours worked.

        I believe you are right (as are most others who've commented in this
        thread). Number of hours isn't *the* best metric. It's unclear if it
        is good metric at all. Anyhow, it's the wrong place to start.

        > There are lots of associated issues (technical debt, motivation,
        > etc), but that's too much for a post here.

        It is those associated issues I was hoping to discuss here. As I wrote
        in the article, I believe motivation and discipline are two of the
        main factors in this equation. In retrospect, I regret mentioning
        working hours. I believe the main idea is very much valid without a
        specific reference to hours.