Re: [scrumdevelopment] Book Recommendation

  • Four Hewes, Caspian Design
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
      Michael,

      Perhaps a few choice, targeted chapters from these books bound
      together as a kind of study guide and primer.

      "Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams," by Tom DeMarco and
      Timothy Lister...
      "The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master," by Andrew Hunt
      and David Thomas
      "Practices of an Agile Developer," by Venkat Subramaniam and Andy Hunt
      "Amplifying Your Effectiveness: Collected Essays," edited by Gerald
      M. Weinberg, James Bach, and Naomi Karten

      Four

      At 4:14 PM -0400 4/3/08, Michael Wollin wrote:
      The executive in charge of my group requested that I recommend three
      books that summarize agile (or scrum) from a customer perspective and
      also a product manager perspective. I have chosen the two books from
      Mike Cohn (User Stories Applied and Agile Estimating & Planning) for
      the latter. I need a recommendation for the former.

      That third book needs to be as easy to read as possible, and more
      high level than what one would read as a Scrummaster. I need to sell
      the Manifesto and I need to sell the ROI advantages to executives who
      want to be "informed" but not given too much detail (if you get my
      drift).

      Michael Wollin
      Four Hewes, Principal
      Caspian Design | A Hybrid Consultancy for changing marketplace,
      technology and business
      Strategic Guidance | New Product Development | Design Services
      http://www.CaspianDesign.com
    • Michael Wollin

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
          Here is my recommendation:

          Agile and Iterative Development by Craig Larman

          Agile Estimating and Planning by Mike Cohn

          Agile Project Management with Scrum by Ken Schwaber

          Bob Schatz
          Agile Infusion, LLC
          bobschatz@...
          http://www.agileinfusion.com
        • Basharat Wani
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008

            Hey Michael ,

            That third book needs to be as easy to read as possible, and more high level
            than what one would read as a Scrummaster. I need to sell the Manifesto and
            I need to sell the ROI advantages to executives who want to be "informed"
            but not given too much detail (if you get my drift).

            Ken Schwaber, Mike Beedle; Agile Software Development with Scrum

            Hope this help.

            Cheers
            Basharat

            Agile and Iterative Development by Craig Larman

            Agile Estimating and Planning by Mike Cohn

            Agile Project Management with Scrum by Ken Schwaber

            Bob Schatz
            Agile Infusion, LLC
            bobschatz@agileinfu sion.com
            http://www.agileinf usion.com

          • Chris Brookins
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
              I have also found "Agile and Iterative Development by Craig Larman" to be the easiest book to digest for the layperson, end user, customer, executive

            • Jacky Li
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                I'd like to recommend "Scrum and XP from the Trenches", which can be downloaded freely on InfoQ:

                http://www.infoq.com/minibooks/scrum-xp-from-the-trenches

                --
                Jacky Li

                InfoQ China Agile Lead Editor: www.infoq.com/cn
                +86 138 1045 9095
              • Doug
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                  Agile and Iterative Development, A Managers Guide (Larman) A good
                  high-level overview of Agile and its value to customers and
                  stakeholders. I used this book to help 'sell' Agile development when
                  we started up with the process a couple of years ago. It talks a lot
                  about the business value of using Agile.

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...>