Re: Formal Estimative Methods with Scrum

  • Peter Hundermark
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi Fernanda,

      By far the majority of Scrum teams use "planning poker" to estimate
      items in the product backlog. As much as it is a simple, quick and fun
      method of estimation, it qualifies as a formal method by any definition.
      It combines Delphi Wideband and expert estimation techniques and is done
      for every work item. It also requires the team to standardise its
      estimates.

      I have (prior to Scrum) used just about every estimation technique over
      three decades, including SLOC, function points, use case points and
      COCOMO II. None has been more reliable than planning poker and
      everything else has cost a lot more time and effort.

      So why would anyone need or want anything else?

      Peter
      CSC

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Fernanda S. de Oliveira"
      <fernanda.stringassi@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am studying CMMI Level 2, and I�d like to know if you have
      suggestions about how to have formal estimative methods with Scrum,
      since the team is responsible for the estimative.

      > Do you have suggestions about some methods that is not too heavy and
      can be used with Scrum practices?

      > I read some messages from 2006 about FPA and Scrum, but today you all
      might have new ideas and cases to share.