RE: [scrumdevelopment] Help Wanted: What makes projects fail?

  • Jaideep Khanduja
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 9:41 PM

      Jeff and Peter (and all others concerned)

      To add to communication which I agree is the frontrunner factor in causing failures few other factors are:

      1.       inappropriate team selection for business study

      2.       improper project manager selection

      3.       wrong team selection/ sizing

      4.       lack of coordination (part of communication) / same project but teams working on different logical islands

      5.       monitoring of progress (again can be a part of communication)

      6.       transparency (part of communication)

      7.       man based processes rather than system based processes (no clear cut standards to follow)

      these are my 2-cents on failures – what I learnt during my projects experience of 15 years. (pardon me if I am too raw!!!)

      Best Regards,

      Jaideep

      ___________________________________

      Thought of the day:  "If you believe that you know the requirements better than the customer, you are part of the problem, not the solution."

      -Alan M. Davis

      ___________________________________

      P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2 12:46 AM
        (responding to Peter)

        > > Why fail? See my paper...
        > > http://www.waterfal l2006.com/ oldfield. html
        > > <http://www.waterfall2006.com/oldfield.html>
        > >
        > Gee, I guess I should have called this your favorite "success" ;-)
        >
        > Cheers and happy April fools,

        On a more serious note, I can recommend the book "Assessment
        and Control of Software Risk" by Capers Jones who has done a
        lot of research on why projects fail. The book is over a
        decade old, but projects still fail for the same reasons
        (will we ever learn???).

        Paul Oldfield
      • srinivas chillara
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2 3:53 AM
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I need your help: I'm working on a talk about why
          > projects fail and how to
          > prevent failure.

          Projects don't fail, people do.
          People fail to score the project goal.