Re: Formal Estimative Methods with Scrum

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 8:00 AM
      Planning Poker, which is more-or-less based on the Delphi technique.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Fernanda S. de Oliveira"
      <fernanda.stringassi@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am studying CMMI Level 2, and I´d like to know if you have
      suggestions about how to have formal estimative methods with Scrum,
      since the team is responsible for the estimative.

      > Do you have suggestions about some methods that is not too heavy and
      can be used with Scrum practices?

      > I read some messages from 2006 about FPA and Scrum, but today you
      all might have new ideas and cases to share.

      > Thank you,
      >
      > Fernanda

    • matt gelbwaks
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 5:17 AM
        Fernanda,

           You should have a talk with your SEPG and your CMMI Assessor.  One thing I hope you will discover is that with the CMMI, all you really need (as per PP SP1.3) is an estimation rationale.  Planning Poker is a wonderful rationale.  They would also like to see the estimates based upon historic data, and so incorporating yesterday's weather is a valuable addition.  When you do your PIID (assessment), the assessor will ask you for indication that you have an estimation rationale that you can demonstrate an indication that you incorporate historic data.  At level 2 this indication does not need to be the same for all projects, though at level 3 they do.  My advice is read through the first 3 chapters (at least) of the CMMI 2nd Edition(version 1.2).  These first 70 pages will give you a good understanding of the objectives and goals of the CMMI fram work.  Then, review the Rules appendix of Schwaber's Agile Project Management with Scrum book.  With both reads current in your mind, you will be able to begin fitting the practices into the framework.

        <fernanda.stringassi@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am studying CMMI Level 2, and I´d like to know if you have
        suggestions about how to have formal estimative methods with Scrum,
        since the team is responsible for the estimative.

        > Do you have suggestions about some methods that is not too heavy and
        can be used with Scrum practices?

        > I read some messages from 2006 about FPA and Scrum, but today you
        all might have new ideas and cases to share.

        > Thank you,
        >
        > Fernanda

      • Peter Hundermark
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 6:26 PM
          Hi Fernanda,

          By far the majority of Scrum teams use "planning poker" to estimate
          items in the product backlog. As much as it is a simple, quick and fun
          method of estimation, it qualifies as a formal method by any definition.
          It combines Delphi Wideband and expert estimation techniques and is done
          for every work item. It also requires the team to standardise its
          estimates.

          I have (prior to Scrum) used just about every estimation technique over
          three decades, including SLOC, function points, use case points and
          COCOMO II. None has been more reliable than planning poker and
          everything else has cost a lot more time and effort.

          So why would anyone need or want anything else?

          Peter
          CSC