Help Wanted: What makes projects fail?

  • peterstev
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I need your help: I'm working on a talk about why projects fail and how to prevent failure. One of my favorite excerizes from my Scrum training was listing all the ways a project could fail. I'd like to come up with a list top causes. So please write a quick comment on my blog with your candidates (Better yet, please tell a story about your "favorite" failure ;-).

      Once I have enough candidates, I'll set up a poll, so we can vote on the biggest causes. All results will of course be published in this space.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      P.S. Yes, I do have my favorite causes, but I don't want to prejudice the results ;-)

      Once again, here is the blog entry: What makes projects fail?

      Thanks & Cheers,

      Peter
    • Paul Oldfield
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        (responding to Peter)

        > ...(Better yet, please tell a story about your
        > "favorite" failure ;-).

        Why fail? See my paper...
        http://www.waterfall2006.com/oldfield.html

        ...you need to remember this was posted 1st April... :-)

        Paul Oldfield
      • Peter Stevens
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
          Paul Oldfield wrote:

          (responding to Peter)

          > ...(Better yet, please tell a story about your
          > "favorite" failure ;-).

          Why fail? See my paper...
          http://www.waterfal l2006.com/ oldfield. html

          Gee, I guess I should have called this your favorite "success" ;-)

          Cheers and happy April fools,

          Peter

          --
          Peter Stevens, CSM
          http://scrum-breakfast.blogspot.com/

        • Jeff Heinen
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008

            Communication, communication, communication.

            Did I mention communication?

            In my experience virtually every project failure ultimately stems from a breakdown in communication, whether it is within the team, across teams, between team and customer, etc.

            -Jeff

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008

              Jeff and Peter (and all others concerned)

              To add to communication which I agree is the frontrunner factor in causing failures few other factors are:

              1.       inappropriate team selection for business study

              2.       improper project manager selection

              3.       wrong team selection/ sizing

              4.       lack of coordination (part of communication) / same project but teams working on different logical islands

              5.       monitoring of progress (again can be a part of communication)

              6.       transparency (part of communication)

              7.       man based processes rather than system based processes (no clear cut standards to follow)

              these are my 2-cents on failures – what I learnt during my projects experience of 15 years. (pardon me if I am too raw!!!)

              Best Regards,

              Jaideep

              ___________________________________

              Thought of the day:  "If you believe that you know the requirements better than the customer, you are part of the problem, not the solution."

              -Alan M. Davis

              ___________________________________

              P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

              I need your help: I'm working on a talk about why projects fail and how to prevent failure. One of my favorite excerizes from my Scrum training was listing all the ways a project could fail. I'd like to come up with a list top causes. So please write a quick comment on my blog with your candidates (Better yet, please tell a story about your "favorite" failure ;-).

              Once I have enough candidates, I'll set up a poll, so we can vote on the biggest causes. All results will of course be published in this space.

              Thanks in advance for your help.

              P.S. Yes, I do have my favorite causes, but I don't want to prejudice the results ;-)

              Once again, here is the blog entry: What makes projects fail?

              Thanks & Cheers,

              Peter

              Confidentiality Notice:

              The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at admin@... immediately and destroy all the copies of this message and any attachments

            • Paul Oldfield
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                (responding to Peter)

                > > Why fail? See my paper...
                > > http://www.waterfal l2006.com/ oldfield. html
                > > <http://www.waterfall2006.com/oldfield.html>
                > >
                > Gee, I guess I should have called this your favorite "success" ;-)
                >
                > Cheers and happy April fools,

                On a more serious note, I can recommend the book "Assessment
                and Control of Software Risk" by Capers Jones who has done a
                lot of research on why projects fail. The book is over a
                decade old, but projects still fail for the same reasons
                (will we ever learn???).

                Paul Oldfield
              • srinivas chillara
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                  > Hi everyone,
                  >
                  > I need your help: I'm working on a talk about why
                  > projects fail and how to
                  > prevent failure.

                  Projects don't fail, people do.
                  People fail to score the project goal.