Re: Scrum evaluation

  • Ash
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 29, 2008
      Mike and Matt,
      I think you guys are bringing up very relevant points. And Mike, I
      just took your survey too...thought the questions covered the spectrum
      of Agile nicely. I want to add to this discussion as I think this is a
      very relevant topic in many companies.

      So, Matt if I understand you right, you are saying that "we got twice
      as better at doing Agile than last year" should be supplemented with
      "we also got twice as productive" or "twice as fast" or "half the
      defects" etc. right?
      In my current company, I can say "we doubled our customer satisfaction
      in two years of Agile" and that helps me get mgmt attention at
      improving Agile practices. I think it is important to have one or more
      metrics to go along with tracking your Agile maturity.

      I think what Mike is saying is
      that you don't need to target AMM Level 4 (or any other benchmark) on
      an absolute scale unless you are sure that your competitor is Level 3
      and even then all you are saying is I need to be better than them.
      Improving on your current state is a noble enough goal.

      I see more and more Agile coaches getting frustrated or disparaging
      other companies for not doing Agile practice X or Y. As long as the
      company practicing Agile is getting better at it and improving the
      practices as well as the results, it shouldn't matter. They are still
      doing the right thing, IMHO.

      I have the same thoughts about process audits (whatever type,
      generally internal in larger companies). If a project fails audit,
      that should also imply that the project will fail to deliver results
      or will cause an adverse effect to the long term health of the
      company. If neither is true and the project failed a process step that
      was there simply for process sake, one that has no effect on the
      productivity, it shouldn't matter.

      lastly, our mgmt also time and again has toyed with the idea of
      measuring productivity at an organization level (or dept level), story
      points are not meant for that so they have toyed with Function points.
      Any comments on if anyone on this list has successfully measured
      productivity at a Dept or Org level?

      Ash Tengshe

    • Joseph Little
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 1, 2008
        Mike and others,

        Lead in: Mike, in his email below, argues that companies should (or
        do) want to be "more agile than relevant competition" rather than
        "perfectly agile" (my term).

        Mike's comment makes sense to me. Let me also add a set of related

        My understanding is that Toyota faced this problem with lean (or, as
        they call it, the Toyota Production System). They felt they were (and
        perhaps are) better than everyone at this stuff. "So, how do we
        continue to get better?" "The relentless pursuit of perfection."
        (Lexus tagline, and also a key lean idea.)

        The idea is that as we approach our current definition of perfection,
        we (with new knowledge) re-invent the specifics of it, moving it
        further out of reach...and then aspire to that goal.

        I think that perfection never exists in this all-too-real world, so it
        is not reasonable to ask "have we become perfect yet". So, Toyota
        says "Are we clearly better than Toyota now?" (ie, better than Toyota
        was last year). This is how they instill Kaizen mind.

        This makes sense to me as a reasonable approach, based on other
        experiences in my life. Clearly helps if you feel you are already
        better than the competition.

        When Google gets complacent, it will die quickly.

        To speak with even more guesses than usual, I will say that Google
        becoming more Agile than Google (was last year) would be a worthwhile
        investment for Google. (In a static analysis, the investment might
        seem unnecessary; in the dynamic world, it is needed.)

        Thanks, Joe