Re: Difficult stories in the product backlog

  • Paul Oldfield
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2008
      (responding to Chris)

      > I am one of the other developers on the project in question.
      > It is not clear that the product owner is adequately
      > representing the needs of the system-maintainers-to-be.

      Okay. Don't assume the PO is wrong, the choice between
      getting features up and running and generating value may
      genuinely be higher priority than knowing why things went
      wrong on the few cases that they did. Talk about your
      concerns.

      > And I think we are fairly certain that
      > there will be some cost associated with procrastination.

      That's common, and that's something the development team
      can address. Theoretically it should be cheaper to add
      a feature later than it is to add it today, because we
      know more later than we do today. Turning this theory into
      reality means getting several practices that deal with
      technical debt to work smoothly. You might also be
      writing the story in a way that it expands as you get
      more functionality; "Log all functions" will be a bigger
      task later than it is today. Of course, if we do it today
      the extra work will need to be done later...

      > As such even though we, and our product owner, know that it will
      > be more costly to retrospectively implement these features...

      Work on improving the techniques that would show this to be
      false. It need not be true.

      Paul Oldfield