RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum history

  • Jonas Bengtsson
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 9, 2002
      Mike Cohn wrote:
      > To my knowledge, Scrum was first documented by Hirotaka Takeuchi and
      > Ikujiro Nonaka in 1986 in Harvard Business Review (Jan/Feb issue)

      I just got the book "The knowledge-creating company" by Takeuchi and Nonaka.
      Are there any references to Scrum within that book? (I can't find it in the

      Jonas
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 9, 2002
        > Jonas Bengtsson [mailto:jonas.b@...]
        >Mike Cohn wrote:
        >> To my knowledge, Scrum was first documented by Hirotaka Takeuchi and
        >> Ikujiro Nonaka in 1986 in Harvard Business Review (Jan/Feb issue)
        >
        >I just got the book "The knowledge-creating company" by Takeuchi and
        Nonaka.
        >Are there any references to Scrum within that book? (I can't find it in the

        Jonas:

        There might be more references but here are some:

        pgs. 78 (figure 3.7),
        81 (middle of the page),
        210, 211 (Rugby and "American Football")
        255 (actual reference),
        etc.

        - Mike
        http://www.livingmetaphor.org
        http://www.agilescrum.com
        http://www.xbreed.net
      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 9, 2002
          In the preface they make reference to rugby and passing the ball around, but
          I don't think there are any more specific references to scrums
          Ken

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 15, 2002
            Mike,
            Thanks for the references. (I've not had the time to look them up until now).

            I'll try finding the "original" article.

            Jonas