Re: [scrumdevelopment] Kano Questionnaires

  • Beth Snapp
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
      An update: we had 3 Kano-type questions on our final questionnaire to pilot participants. We picked three stories that emerged from focus groups that we wanted to confirm quantitatively. 20 people responded. It did take some time to go through each of the individual responses and categorize according to the Kano matrix but we got some interesting results.

      Most notably, the pilot participants were much more indifferent about one story which we thought was a "must-have" from our focus groups. Also, another story which we thought was a "must-have" showed more of an "exciter" quality. The third story had been a "must-have" in focus groups and was an overwhelming "must have" in the questionnaire.

      The lesson for us was that the Kano questionnaire is definitely useful as a supplement to the more qualitative data revealed in interviews and focus groups. It gives us the "numbers" to support (or not support) our assumptions. The results will be included in our proposal for funding to the university.

      Beth
      Ohio State University

      On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Beth Snapp <misfyred@...> wrote:
      Peter,

      We are going to send the questionnaire this week. To keep it short, we are including questions about the more controversial (meaning we couldn't draw a conclusion) features of the project that came up in previous surveys and focus groups. I will let you know how it works out for us.

      Thanks. --Beth

      On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Peter Stevens <peterstev@...> wrote:

      Beth Snapp wrote:

      I recently read about the Kano Questionnaire in Mike Cohn's book,
      Agile Estimating and Planning. It seems like a really great way to
      determine quantitatively what user stories are important to our
      customers/users. Does anyone have experience-- good or bad--with these
      types of questionnaires, particularly in the context of agile software
      development, who might like to comment?

      Thanks in advance.

      Beth Snapp
      Arts & Sciences, Ohio State University

      _
      Hi Beth,

      we used Kano to evaluate functions for user roles we had defined. There were some interesting problems of naming. What exactly is a basic expectation and what makes an exciter. We thought the whole application should be an exciter. We also tried the quesitons, but the answers didn't really help, as they indicated everything was a basic expectation (must have) without further qualification.

      So I really like Kano as a way to think about features, but have had difficulties using the quantitative approaches.

      Cheers
      Peter
      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM