RE: SV: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM in R&D projects

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 8, 2008

      Alan

      Scrum is based on Complex Adaptive Systems particularly in the realm of emergent solutions.  The real value of Scrum is the implementation of the scientific method coupled with Bayesian investigatory logic.  That is to say “we are wandering around, looking for the truth by proving things being wrong.”  I recently posted a bit on this on Agile Commons, http://agilecommons.org/posts/8b9d153f03.

      Using examples from both academic research as well as commercial research to highlight the waste we produce when we do not look at the failures we generate.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."

      From: aha@trifork. com
      Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:12:54 +0100
      Subject: SV: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM in R&D projects

      I have for development of software for medical device R&D.

      It is possible, but we learned some harsh lessons on the way. First of all, we identified two categories of tasks: Some are well-understood and can be broken down and estimated fairly accurately, others were research-like tasks, which could only be time boxed, and which would probably appear again in the next sprint. When possible we would make sure that some deliverable could be associated with the time boxed research tasks (updated lab journal, if nothing else). By time boxing the research like tasks, we ensured that the developers involved in these could still work on their other tasks with a clear conscience, and no one had illusions that research on the frontier was predictable.

      However, it took us more than a year and many frustrations to learn this, so make sure that the team feels comfortable about Scrum.

      Best regards,

      Allan Harsmann

      From: flavio.steffens@ gmail.com
      Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:22:09 -0300
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM in R&D projects

      Hello my friends,

      in may I will start a big project of reserch and development using the RFID technology. Im a little afraid about applying SCRUM at all.

      Is it possible to have some stories not as a system funcionality, but some kind of research? Someone have experience in R&D projects with SCRUM? How was it?

      Thanks

      --
      Flavio Steffens de Castro

      Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.

      Check our comprehensive Salary Centre Overpaid or Underpaid?