Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Writing Unit, Integration and Automated tests during development

  • Rodney Wynn
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
      Andy

      Do not worry about complete test code coverage in the legacy applications.  Just insert the testing into the modlets that are changed /enhanced by the teams at that time.  You will find the longer the legacy application hang around the more coverage you will achieve during repairs and rework.
      Integration testing will simply have to applied during each production drop.  Not easy but less costly for the company and developers  (money for the company and time for the developers).

      It is just something you will have to note in the release documents until complete test coverage is achieved.

      Rodney

      andywadhwa <andywadhwa@...> wrote:
      Thanks everyone for your helpful responses so far. I would like to add
      that our development team does have a 'definition of done' which
      includes a requirement for test coverage in the code. There is also a
      general understanding amongst the engineers that these tests increase
      the quality of their code and produce long term cost savings.

      Nevertheless, the issue is two-fold. The first problem lies in the
      fact that there already exist a large number of legacy applications
      with zero unit/integration test coverage. The cost/time required to
      build complete unit or integration test coverage on this code during
      small maintenance/ minor enhancement stories is cost prohibitive to the
      business.

      The other issue resides in the different interpretation of 'Done' Vs
      'Business Accepted'. While engineering work might not be considered
      done until there is sufficient test coverage, the functionalities can
      still be demoed and accepted by the business resulting in the
      engineering team omitting the unit/integration tests when they are in
      a time crunch to get a 'Pass' on a story.

      Andy

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "Wolfgang Schulze Zachau"