Re: Scrum in the Insurance Industry

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 7, 2008
      I don't think it's just IT:

      "...there is nothing more difficult to carry out, nor more
      doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to handle, than to initiate a
      new order of things. For the reformer has enemies in all those who
      profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all those who
      would profit by the new order, this lukewarmness arising partly from
      fear of their adversaries...and partly from the incredulity of
      mankind, who do not truly believe in anything new until they have had
      actual experience of it."
      Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

      I had the same experience with my students when I first starting
      teaching our capstone project course. The project required 2
      iterations, and weekly status reports in the form of a Sprint Backlog
      and Burndown Chart. The students had only learned waterfall in the
      project management course, and many were upset that they'd have to
      learn and apply something new. Imagine that! Learning something new in
      grad school! Of course, the vast majority of the students took to the
      new method like fish to water, especially given that I gave them
      crappy requirements that constantly changed. A few also complained
      about the changing requirements. You just can't win. :-)

      Now that I'm also teaching a section of the project management course,
      which includes coverage of agile, Scrum, and XP, the students are much
      better prepared for the capstone.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Roy Morien <roymorien@...> wrote:

      > Why is it that IT people seem to be usually so conservative and
      hesitant?

      > I have the experience of "forcing" student groups (about 230
      students in 57 groups) doing their final year industry experience
      projects to at least be iterative. I couldn't go the whole agile
      thing, although I did give lectures on Scrum.

      > To start, almost all the students were 'hesitant', ranging from
      puzzled to hostile against the idea. To finish, there was almost
      unanimous support for the approach. The first problem was the students
      had not learned anything about systems development methods beyond the
      SDLC/Waterfall/"Documentation is Good, and more Documentation is
      Better" way of working.

      > I published a paper about this at the 2005 IS Education Conference
      in Pittsburgh, if anyone is interested at having a look a that.

      > Regards,
      > Roy Morien
      >

      > To: scrumdevelopment@...: kellie.morrell@...: Fri, 29 Feb 2008
      06:14:09 -0600Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum in the Insurance
      Industry

      > Regarding Scrum in the Insurance Industry: We started using Scrum 4
      monthsago at a mid-west (USA) Insurance company for Life products. The
      Businessis very engaged and energetic about using agile. The IT folks
      are somewhathesitant, but have become real believers when working
      software wasdelivered within in 30 days (1 sprint). We will also be
      starting up aHealth product agile project in the near future. Here is
      a graph I foundthat shows the Insurance Industry as accepting agile. I
      believe it is fromForrester findings from 2005 (more info on their web
      site).(See attached file: Forrester Findings on 2005 Trends.ppt)Kellie
      Morrell, PMPMutual of OmahaI/S - Finance Support - IFS
      Teamkellie.morrell@..."coolunni" <coolunni@... om> To Sent by:
      scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com scrumdevelopment@ cc yahoogroups.com
      Subject [scrumdevelopment] Scrum in the 02/28/2008 09:29 Insurance
      Industry AM Please respond to scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups.com Is
      anybody using the Scrum methodology is in Insurance industry? I work
      in the property and casualty section and would be curious to know of
      experiences and success stories. A search resulted in naught. Tull-nyc
      This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
      solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material that is
      legally privileged, proprietary or subject to copyright belonging to
      Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company and its affiliates, and it may be
      subject to protection under federal or state law. If you are not the
      intended recipient, you are notified that any use of this material is
      strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error,
      please contact the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and
      delete the material from your system. Mutual of Omaha Insurance
      Company may archive e-mails, which may be accessed by authorized
      persons and may be produced to other parties, including public
      authorities, in compliance with applicable laws.

      http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT