Re: "Not enough testers"

  • Bob Schatz
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hi John,

      I run into this all the time. And I'll be happy to talk to that team
      ;-)...

      Anyway, my message is that TESTING and QUALITY are activities, not a
      PERSON or ORGANIZATION.

      It is part of what a professional does when creating a potentially
      shippable piece of functionality.

      If the team does not have someone with the special skills they need
      then they have to figure out what to do. Not having a test person
      available for that team is certainly an obstacle that may slow the
      team's velocity, but it does NOT free the team from the responsibility
      to test what they've built.

      The team members should come up with solutions. What other skill sets
      are on the team that might be able to assist with testing?? A business
      analyst, documentation writer, other developers?? Maybe you'll need
      someone run a more formal test later as an outcome of the obstacle,
      but that test run should not find any surprises in terms of issues.

      In your particular case, I would guess there are some good ideas on
      that team that would open up some possibilities. Their ScrumMaster
      needs to coach them here, in addition to working to help remove the
      obstacle.

      Bob Schatz