Re: Freeware/open source SCRUM tool

  • andybrandt_dot_net
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
      Hi Pooja!

      It is not exactly freeware, but you can try a free account on our tool called Banana Scrum
      http://www.bananascrum.com/ .

      Best regards,
      Andy

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Pooja

    • poojawandile
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
        I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
        issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
        through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
        features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
        excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
        allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
        knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
        and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
        tool itself.

        Thanks,
        Pooja

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pete Deemer
        <petedeemer@...> wrote:

        > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
        What are
        > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
        >

        > -------------------------------------
        > Pete Deemer
        > GoodAgile
        > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
        details
        > at goodagile.com
        >

        > poojawandile wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi,
        > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Pooja

      • Tobias Mayer
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hi Pooja,

          As Xavier suggested you may be better off starting with no electronic
          tool at all, not even Excel. Start with a taskboard and some hand drawn
          burndown charts. After a few sprints you will begin to determine what
          kind of tool support you need.

          Here is the major con: if you pick a tool before starting to sprint your
          process will be driven by the tool, not by your needs.

          I also advise you again to look at Pete Deemer's question. It is a very
          good one and should be given some thought. In your response you tell
          what the solution should be, but not what the problem actually is.

          Best wishes,
          Tobias

          <poojawandile@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
          > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
          > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
          > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
          > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
          > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
          > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
          > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
          > tool itself.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Pooja
          >

          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pete Deemer
          > petedeemer@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
          > What are
          > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
          > >

          > > -------------------------------------
          > > Pete Deemer
          > > GoodAgile
          > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
          > details
          > > at goodagile.com
          > >

          > > poojawandile wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi,
          > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Pooja

        • Jaideep Khanduja
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008

            Hello Pooja,

            As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

            kind regards,

            Jaideep

            ___________________________________

            ** If we only do as well as we did yesterday, then we will not see any improvement tomorrow.

            ___________________________________

            P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

            <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
            What are
            > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
            >

            > ------------ --------- --------- -------
            > Pete
            w:st="on">Deemer
            > GoodAgile
            > CSM in Delhi
            (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
            details
            > at goodagile.com
            >

            > poojawandile wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi,
            > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Pooja

            Confidentiality Notice:

            The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at admin@... immediately and destroy all the copies of this message and any attachments

          • Pete Deemer
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
              let me share a story. I once knew a team that was doing scrum quite
              happily, using pencils and paper and post-it notes and not much else.
              but it felt very low tech and old-fashioned to them. as one of them put
              it: this is how my grand-dad used to do things back in his day! so they
              decided to come up with a better approach. they set up a database to
              store all the info that previously was living on paper, and they built a
              bunch of nice web pages for entering and viewing the data. with each
              week that passed, they added more and more features, to the point where
              the tool was getting quite complicated. unfortunately, they found
              themselves spending more and more fixing and extending the tool, which
              took time away from other things. but it was very powerful. instead of
              just one simple burndown chart for the whole team, they now could look
              at individual burndown charts for every member of the team, and they
              could see who was ahead and who was behind. and someone added a wiki
              page that allowed everyone to type in their daily update and blocks,
              which allowed the team to stop doing the daily scrum meeting in person.
              and someone else built a clever tool that automatically create a task
              queue for each team member, so that they always knew exactly what to
              work on; they didn't need to even think about it, the system just told
              them what to do. and management learned about the tool (the team showed
              it off during a sprint review), and asked for the team to create a
              single page for the exec team to look at, which showed the burndown
              chart for every single person in the department, and anyone who was
              behind on their tasks, or on their "delivered versus predicted task
              hours per day" (a new metric someone suggested they monitor, since the
              data was all there in the tool) would show up with a bright red blinking
              flag next to their name. The execs liked this dashboard so much they
              asked for a wap version of the page, so they could check it via their
              blackberry from the car, train, etc., a couple times a day if they
              wanted. Over the course of about two months, what had been a happy and
              productive team somehow evolved into a group of stressed out, unhappy
              individuals all constantly looking over their shoulder, and none of them
              had the faintest idea how they were doing during the sprint, which led
              to missed goals and even closer executive monitoring. Getting them back
              on track was very costly and painful, and it was doubly disappointing
              because the whole detour occurred for no good reason.

              I'm not saying that tools are wrong, by any means; for larger projects
              and multi-location teams, they can be helpful. But before going that
              route, I would get very clear on the problem you're trying to solve, and
              be certain that your tool is going to address the underlying issue, and
              not simply disguise it.

              -------------------------------------

              poojawandile wrote:

              > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
              > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
              > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
              > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
              > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
              > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
              > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
              > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
              > tool itself.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Pooja
              >
              > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
              > <mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Deemer
              > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
              > What are
              > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
              > >

              > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
              > > Pete Deemer
              > > GoodAgile
              > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
              > details
              > > at goodagile.com
              > >

              > > poojawandile wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hi,
              > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Pooja

            • Mark Saffell
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
                This is great! Just remeber how was the first tool made? You need tools to make tools.
                Who invented whatever? Why did they invent whatever? Did they really invent it themself or did they see someone else try to invent it?
                Human nature?
                -Mark A Saffell

                poojawandile wrote:

                > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                > tool itself.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Pooja
                >
                > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                > What are
                > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                > >

                > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                > > Pete Deemer
                > > GoodAgile
                > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                > details
                > > at goodagile.com
                > >

                > > poojawandile wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Hi,
                > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Pooja

              • Michael James
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Jaideep Khanduja" <jaideep.khanduja@...>
                  wrote:

                  > As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with
                  > simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

                  Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                  and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                  --mj (FULL DISCLOSURE: I sell ScrumWorks. BTW ScrumWorks Basic is still free.)
                • Xavier Quesada Allue
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
                    > Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                    > and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                    The excel sheet that is used in non-tool-based implementations of
                    Scrum is only for the Product Backlog. We also use it to generate the
                    project burndown chart. That is all.

                    In my experience, only the Product Owner should have write access to
                    the product backlog. The Product Owner acts as SPOC for all
                    stakeholders (who are NOT the team members by the way). When new
                    stories are created, the PO adds them to the backlog with the correct
                    priority. No team member needs to touch the backlog except in
                    read-only mode.

                    In practice, the backlog is kept in Subversion so if anybody would
                    need to edit it for any reason, it is easy to track, merge and revert
                    changes. This simple approach is effective and the benefits garnered
                    from a fully featured Scrumboard are difficult if not impossible to
                    match for any tool.

                    http://www.agilar.org/blog/lean-scrumboard-gallery/

                    Tools still remain the best choice for distributed teams and I think
                    tool vendors should focus on this niche.

                    regards,
                    Xavier
                  • Ken Schwaber
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008

                      Excellent, Pete. Another problem I run into is that enterprises using a Scrum tool mistake that for doing Scrum.

                      Ken

                      poojawandile wrote:

                      > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                      > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                      > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                      > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                      > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                      > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                      > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                      > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                      > tool itself.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Pooja
                      >
                      > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                      > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                      > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                      > What are
                      > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                      > >

                      > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                      > > Pete Deemer
                      > > GoodAgile
                      > > CSM in Delhi
                      (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                      > details
                      > > at goodagile.com
                      > >

                      > > poojawandile wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Hi,
                      > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks,
                      > > > Pooja

                    • Michelle Ammerman
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008

                        In our office, I constantly ask our staff to be mindful of implementing cures for which there is no disease, because often, those cures cause new diseases.  The scenario that Pete describes did just that.

                        poojawandile wrote:

                        > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                        > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                        > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                        > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                        > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                        > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                        > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                        > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                        > tool itself.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Pooja
                        >
                        > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                        > <mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Deemer
                        > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                        > What are
                        > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                        > >

                        > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                        > > Pete Deemer
                        > > GoodAgile
                        > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                        > details
                        > > at goodagile.com
                        > >

                        > > poojawandile wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Hi,
                        > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > > Pooja

                      • andybrandt_dot_net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008
                          Hi All!

                          On the side of Pooja's question I see a discussion on tools
                          developing. I always see people arguing that physical, hand based
                          solutions are much better than any tools that might be limiting etc.
                          Let me share my prospective on this.

                          First, I think this is more of a personality issue. There are people
                          who must have paper to make notes on, who feel bad without index cards
                          etc. I respect that, however, I'm a "paperless man". The only thing I
                          like on paper is books. I like whiteboards, but only as something
                          temporary for sketching some drawing and concepts, not for keeping and
                          maintaining anything. I don't feel my way of doing things is by any
                          means inherently worse. So I demand those who love paper and index
                          cards etc. do respect my virtual way of doing things as much as I do
                          respect theirs.

                          Second, the real problem here is getting too dogmatic about tools. As
                          long as you do realize the tool is no more than it is I don't think
                          you can go down the road someone else described at length. Yes, some
                          overdo by adding all kinds of "metrics" and turning Scrum into PMBOK.
                          Hence all the huge apps with hierarchies of backlog items, huge prices
                          and feature bloat.

                          But one can as well overdo with being too dogmatic about only index
                          cards and hand drawn burndowns being the "right way".

                          I think the right way is the way that works in a given situation, for
                          a given team.

                          And, thirdly, in today's world not everyone has the luxury of having
                          everyone at the same office, doing the same hours. And even if you do
                          have that - are your clients on-site? Can they physically walk in and
                          see the backlog, see the burndown? If not, then I'd argue using a good
                          - easy and simple - tool is much better than trying to do it with
                          Excel which is designed for other purposes.

                          The ideal to which we are trying to get is to give a dispersed team or
                          a remote client/product owner a virtual experience that has as much as
                          possible from the physical world meetings etc. whenever and wherever
                          that is not possible.

                          Best regards,
                          Andy Brandt

                          Code Sprinters
                          http://www.codesprinters.com/

                          <poojawandile@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Pooja

                        • Jaideep Khanduja
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008

                            > As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with
                            > simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

                            Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                            and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                            As far as ownership is concerned if it is there in a tool, it has to be there (and can very well be there) even if it is an excel spreadsheet. Tools by no chance create ownership, it comes from within.

                            -regds/ jaideep

                            --mj (FULL DISCLOSURE: I sell ScrumWorks. BTW ScrumWorks Basic is still free.)

                            Confidentiality Notice:

                            The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at admin@... immediately and destroy all the copies of this message and any attachments

                          • A.S. Rawat
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 5, 2008
                              I think what Pete said and Ken also vetted is all essence of doing SCRUM. First time I looked at the excel template passed on to me made me think of other things which took me off the track instead of getting down with brass tacks to start the scrum.
                              Thanks Pete and Ken.

                              Rawat.

                              > As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with
                              > simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

                              Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                              and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                              As far as ownership is concerned if it is there in a tool, it has to be there (and can very well be there) even if it is an excel spreadsheet. Tools by no chance create ownership, it comes from within.

                              -regds/ jaideep

                              --mj (FULL DISCLOSURE: I sell ScrumWorks. BTW ScrumWorks Basic is still free.)

                              Confidentiality Notice:

                              The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at admin@... immediately and destroy all the copies of this message and any attachments

                            • teckmx5
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 5, 2008
                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Pooja

                                Hi Pooja,

                                there is an Open Source Scrum Tool: Agilo for Scrum. You can download or try it online.
                                http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/download/

                                Have fun
                                Teck
                              • Basharat Wani
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 5, 2008
                                  Hey

                                  There is another openSource tool called "Tacke" that I evaluated , you can download it from here .

                                  The tool is good.

                                  Regards
                                  Basharat

                                  > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?

                                  Thanks,
                                  > Pooja

                                  Hi Pooja,

                                  there is an Open Source Scrum Tool: Agilo for Scrum. You can download or try it online.
                                  http://www.agile42. com/cms/pages/ download/

                                  Have fun
                                  Teck

                                • Nicholas Cancelliere
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 6, 2008

                                    I actually took my team off the web-based Scrum tools, I found that they were interacting with the tool more than one another!  Folks started to use the idea of putting a note on a story in the tool (usually buried down on some screen) as communicating and negating the responsibility to actually communicate.  Many conversations would end up starting with "Well Beth I don't understand, because I put a note about this issue on the wiki a couple of days ago - didn't you read it?"

                                    We use a kanban board now and it's a lot better.  Everything is in full view, and if you need to talk to someone you get up and talk to them -- you don't dodge the conversation by conveniently logging a note in a web tool.

                                    While in some settings (like with distributed teams) it's difficult to not use a web-based tool -- I think that teams need to be very mindful when they do use them, and not to treat it as some alternative form of email.

                                    Communication is a two-way event ... I tell you something and I know you heard me and understand me.  Emailing or jotting a note on a wiki isn't necessarily communicating -- it's when the exchange (I email you back, I comment on your wiki note) that we start communicating.  Make sure your teams never loose sight of this fact.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Nicholas

                                    --
                                    Nicholas Cancelliere
                                    Austin, TX

                                  • Murali Yelamanchili
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 6, 2008
                                      Hi,

                                      We use ScrumWorks Basic for our Scrum tool, which is still free. I won't say that it is the only tool we use. We use a combination of ScrumWorks, JIRA and Excel.

                                      As for whether to use tools or not here is my take on it -

                                      Let us not forget the reality today. In India, where I work, we don't often have the luxury of large office spaces with large meeting rooms. Sometimes we make do by just huddling at the Scrummaster's desk and finish the standup. It is next to impossible to get a physical taskboard, because the office space comes at a premium.
                                      It is not ideal, but the best we can do under these conditions. Just to give you an idea, our floor are seats 70 engineers, and we have only 1 room that can accomodate 10 members at best at a time. And there are 11 teams doing Scrum, and if we all want a taskboard in there, and all try to dash into the room for a meeting.
                                      As Manager and Scrummaster, I don't particularly like what I have to do here.
                                      Similarly, post-it notes are rationed, and not in full supply as and when we want them.

                                      We use a distributed tool (ScrumWorks) because our Product Owner works out of Australia. It works most of the time, except for when the PO is off the grid - I mean when he is on the flight or is not able to connect to the Internet (on the beach or a coffee shop :-) )
                                      When he is not connected, he finds it very difficult to record his ideas into the Product backlog, because he cannot access Scrumworks, and uses an Excel spreadsheet to record his ideas, and then syncs it with the backlog inside Scrumworks when he is back on the VPN again. This is a manual task, because Scrumworks is not really good with export/import of information. But we don't waste time trying to fix it, but get along with it, the best we can, and work around it.

                                      Above all this, I am required to produce an executive summary for my bosses once a Sprint ends, and the Scrum tool makes it easy for me as it generates most of the information I require for the report.
                                      Do I like it? No - not really, but I have to do it.

                                      My point is that tools are useful to those who really need them. I think most of us are sane enough not to use a tool just because it is fashionable, or makes us feel good.

                                      The reality is a bit different than we would like it to be - In my case this means - no physical taskboards, no post-it notes (sorry no supply), shortage of markers and certainly no meeting rooms. And a PO, who needs  offline access, combined with upper management who want executive summaries of Sprints.
                                      Using tools makes my life as a manager and scrummaster easier to certain extent, and helps me concentrate more on what I else can do for the team. So I would certainly advocate using them, but also would state, like others have done here, we be judicious in our use of these tools and not think that they offer a solution to all our problems.

                                      Regards,
                                      Murali

                                      poojawandile wrote:

                                      > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                                      > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                                      > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                                      > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                                      > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                                      > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                                      > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                                      > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                                      > tool itself.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Pooja
                                      >
                                      > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                                      > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                                      > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                                      > What are
                                      > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                                      > >

                                      > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                                      > > Pete Deemer
                                      > > GoodAgile
                                      > > CSM in Delhi
                                      (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                                      > details
                                      > > at goodagile.com
                                      > >

                                      > > poojawandile wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Hi,
                                      > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Thanks,
                                      > > > Pooja

                                    • shiraz
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 6, 2008
                                        HI All
                                        Am currently working on an assignment which i thought might share with you so that canddiates looking out for change can be benefitted
                                        I have a position with a Product Development Company for a Manager Role (PM) for Pune Location,
                                        Exp 8-10 Yrs
                                        Candidate will be responsible for handling Scrum Based development team. Should have good expertise in Java/J2EE. He should be a scrum master/scrum certified. Should have handled team of 4-5 engineers earlier. Good exposure to requirements handling and design.
                                        If any one of you is interested plz revert immediately with updated resume with contact details so that i can speak to you and can take it further
                                        Warm Regards
                                        Shiraz

                                        poojawandile wrote:

                                        > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                                        > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                                        > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                                        > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                                        > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                                        > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                                        > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                                        > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                                        > tool itself.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Pooja
                                        >
                                        > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                                        > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                                        > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                                        > What are
                                        > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                                        > >

                                        > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                                        > > Pete Deemer
                                        > > GoodAgile
                                        > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                                        > details
                                        > > at goodagile.com
                                        > >

                                        > > poojawandile wrote:
                                        > > >

                                        > > > Hi,
                                        > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Thanks,
                                        > > > Pooja

                                      • shiraz

                                            poojawandile wrote:

                                            > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                                            > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                                            > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                                            > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                                            > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                                            > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                                            > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                                            > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                                            > tool itself.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Pooja
                                            >
                                            > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                                            > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer

                                            > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                                            > What are
                                            > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                                            > >

                                            > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                                            > > Pete Deemer
                                            > > GoodAgile
                                            > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                                            > details
                                            > > at goodagile.com
                                            > >

                                            > > poojawandile wrote:
                                            > > >

                                            > > > Hi,
                                            > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Thanks,
                                            > > > Pooja

                                          • Daniel Wildt
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 8, 2008
                                              I have used Scrum Works basic for some projects, it is great and easy to use.

                                              Now I'm using spreadsheets. I'm not using boards and cards cause currently I don't have environment for that  and I'm working with distributed teams. The spreadsheet is going well and it is an easy point of contact for the whole team.

                                              The software must help your team. But the team must be able to run a sprint without the tool.
                                              Try not to use a software tool to control your sprint if you are able to do that in the beginning.
                                              Just to make sure that the team is aware about how to work with the mechanics.

                                              Regards,
                                              Daniel Wildt
                                              http://danielwildt.blogspot.com
                                              http://weblogs.java.net/blog/dwildt/