Re: [scrumdevelopment] Freeware/open source SCRUM tool

  • Xavier Quesada Allue
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
      Pooja,

      If your team is co-located, then my suggestion is to skip software
      tools altogether and go for a physical Scrumboard. If your team is
      dispersed, then you will probably benefit from a tool, but in that
      case you probably have a budget and thus I would suggest one of the
      tools being actively developed by the fine companies that support the
      Agile community. There are no quality open source options at this
      moment, but depending on the nature of your project you might be able
      to get one of these tools for free as in beer.

      Regards,
      Xavier

      On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:21 AM, poojawandile <poojawandile@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Pooja

    • Pete Deemer
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
        Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always: What are
        the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?

        -------------------------------------
        Pete Deemer
        GoodAgile
        CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full details
        at goodagile.com

        poojawandile wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Pooja

      • andybrandt_dot_net
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hi Pooja!

          It is not exactly freeware, but you can try a free account on our tool called Banana Scrum
          http://www.bananascrum.com/ .

          Best regards,
          Andy

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Pooja

        • poojawandile
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
            I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
            issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
            through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
            features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
            excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
            allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
            knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
            and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
            tool itself.

            Thanks,
            Pooja

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pete Deemer
            <petedeemer@...> wrote:

            > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
            What are
            > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
            >

            > -------------------------------------
            > Pete Deemer
            > GoodAgile
            > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
            details
            > at goodagile.com
            >

            > poojawandile wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi,
            > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Pooja

          • Tobias Mayer
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
              Hi Pooja,

              As Xavier suggested you may be better off starting with no electronic
              tool at all, not even Excel. Start with a taskboard and some hand drawn
              burndown charts. After a few sprints you will begin to determine what
              kind of tool support you need.

              Here is the major con: if you pick a tool before starting to sprint your
              process will be driven by the tool, not by your needs.

              I also advise you again to look at Pete Deemer's question. It is a very
              good one and should be given some thought. In your response you tell
              what the solution should be, but not what the problem actually is.

              Best wishes,
              Tobias

              <poojawandile@...> wrote:

              > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
              > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
              > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
              > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
              > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
              > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
              > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
              > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
              > tool itself.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Pooja
              >

              > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pete Deemer
              > petedeemer@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
              > What are
              > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
              > >

              > > -------------------------------------
              > > Pete Deemer
              > > GoodAgile
              > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
              > details
              > > at goodagile.com
              > >

              > > poojawandile wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hi,
              > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Pooja

            • Jaideep Khanduja
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008

                Hello Pooja,

                As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

                kind regards,

                Jaideep

                ___________________________________

                ** If we only do as well as we did yesterday, then we will not see any improvement tomorrow.

                ___________________________________

                P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

                <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:

                > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                What are
                > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                > Pete
                w:st="on">Deemer
                > GoodAgile
                > CSM in Delhi
                (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                details
                > at goodagile.com
                >

                > poojawandile wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi,
                > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Pooja

                Confidentiality Notice:

                The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at admin@... immediately and destroy all the copies of this message and any attachments

              • Pete Deemer
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
                  let me share a story. I once knew a team that was doing scrum quite
                  happily, using pencils and paper and post-it notes and not much else.
                  but it felt very low tech and old-fashioned to them. as one of them put
                  it: this is how my grand-dad used to do things back in his day! so they
                  decided to come up with a better approach. they set up a database to
                  store all the info that previously was living on paper, and they built a
                  bunch of nice web pages for entering and viewing the data. with each
                  week that passed, they added more and more features, to the point where
                  the tool was getting quite complicated. unfortunately, they found
                  themselves spending more and more fixing and extending the tool, which
                  took time away from other things. but it was very powerful. instead of
                  just one simple burndown chart for the whole team, they now could look
                  at individual burndown charts for every member of the team, and they
                  could see who was ahead and who was behind. and someone added a wiki
                  page that allowed everyone to type in their daily update and blocks,
                  which allowed the team to stop doing the daily scrum meeting in person.
                  and someone else built a clever tool that automatically create a task
                  queue for each team member, so that they always knew exactly what to
                  work on; they didn't need to even think about it, the system just told
                  them what to do. and management learned about the tool (the team showed
                  it off during a sprint review), and asked for the team to create a
                  single page for the exec team to look at, which showed the burndown
                  chart for every single person in the department, and anyone who was
                  behind on their tasks, or on their "delivered versus predicted task
                  hours per day" (a new metric someone suggested they monitor, since the
                  data was all there in the tool) would show up with a bright red blinking
                  flag next to their name. The execs liked this dashboard so much they
                  asked for a wap version of the page, so they could check it via their
                  blackberry from the car, train, etc., a couple times a day if they
                  wanted. Over the course of about two months, what had been a happy and
                  productive team somehow evolved into a group of stressed out, unhappy
                  individuals all constantly looking over their shoulder, and none of them
                  had the faintest idea how they were doing during the sprint, which led
                  to missed goals and even closer executive monitoring. Getting them back
                  on track was very costly and painful, and it was doubly disappointing
                  because the whole detour occurred for no good reason.

                  I'm not saying that tools are wrong, by any means; for larger projects
                  and multi-location teams, they can be helpful. But before going that
                  route, I would get very clear on the problem you're trying to solve, and
                  be certain that your tool is going to address the underlying issue, and
                  not simply disguise it.

                  -------------------------------------

                  poojawandile wrote:

                  > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                  > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                  > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                  > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                  > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                  > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                  > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                  > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                  > tool itself.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Pooja
                  >
                  > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                  > <mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Deemer
                  > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                  > What are
                  > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                  > >

                  > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                  > > Pete Deemer
                  > > GoodAgile
                  > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                  > details
                  > > at goodagile.com
                  > >

                  > > poojawandile wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Hi,
                  > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > Pooja

                • Mark Saffell
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
                    This is great! Just remeber how was the first tool made? You need tools to make tools.
                    Who invented whatever? Why did they invent whatever? Did they really invent it themself or did they see someone else try to invent it?
                    Human nature?
                    -Mark A Saffell

                    poojawandile wrote:

                    > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                    > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                    > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                    > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                    > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                    > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                    > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                    > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                    > tool itself.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Pooja
                    >
                    > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                    > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                    > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                    > What are
                    > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                    > >

                    > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                    > > Pete Deemer
                    > > GoodAgile
                    > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                    > details
                    > > at goodagile.com
                    > >

                    > > poojawandile wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Hi,
                    > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Pooja

                  • Michael James
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Jaideep Khanduja" <jaideep.khanduja@...>
                      wrote:

                      > As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with
                      > simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

                      Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                      and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                      --mj (FULL DISCLOSURE: I sell ScrumWorks. BTW ScrumWorks Basic is still free.)
                    • Xavier Quesada Allue
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008
                        > Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                        > and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                        The excel sheet that is used in non-tool-based implementations of
                        Scrum is only for the Product Backlog. We also use it to generate the
                        project burndown chart. That is all.

                        In my experience, only the Product Owner should have write access to
                        the product backlog. The Product Owner acts as SPOC for all
                        stakeholders (who are NOT the team members by the way). When new
                        stories are created, the PO adds them to the backlog with the correct
                        priority. No team member needs to touch the backlog except in
                        read-only mode.

                        In practice, the backlog is kept in Subversion so if anybody would
                        need to edit it for any reason, it is easy to track, merge and revert
                        changes. This simple approach is effective and the benefits garnered
                        from a fully featured Scrumboard are difficult if not impossible to
                        match for any tool.

                        http://www.agilar.org/blog/lean-scrumboard-gallery/

                        Tools still remain the best choice for distributed teams and I think
                        tool vendors should focus on this niche.

                        regards,
                        Xavier
                      • Ken Schwaber
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008

                          Excellent, Pete. Another problem I run into is that enterprises using a Scrum tool mistake that for doing Scrum.

                          Ken

                          poojawandile wrote:

                          > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                          > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                          > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                          > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                          > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                          > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                          > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                          > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                          > tool itself.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Pooja
                          >
                          > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                          > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                          > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                          > What are
                          > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                          > >

                          > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                          > > Pete Deemer
                          > > GoodAgile
                          > > CSM in Delhi
                          (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                          > details
                          > > at goodagile.com
                          > >

                          > > poojawandile wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Hi,
                          > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > > Pooja

                        • Michelle Ammerman
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 3, 2008

                            In our office, I constantly ask our staff to be mindful of implementing cures for which there is no disease, because often, those cures cause new diseases.  The scenario that Pete describes did just that.

                            poojawandile wrote:

                            > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                            > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                            > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                            > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                            > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                            > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                            > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                            > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                            > tool itself.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Pooja
                            >
                            > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                            > <mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>, Pete Deemer
                            > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                            > What are
                            > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                            > >

                            > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                            > > Pete Deemer
                            > > GoodAgile
                            > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                            > details
                            > > at goodagile.com
                            > >

                            > > poojawandile wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Hi,
                            > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > > Pooja

                          • andybrandt_dot_net
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008
                              Hi All!

                              On the side of Pooja's question I see a discussion on tools
                              developing. I always see people arguing that physical, hand based
                              solutions are much better than any tools that might be limiting etc.
                              Let me share my prospective on this.

                              First, I think this is more of a personality issue. There are people
                              who must have paper to make notes on, who feel bad without index cards
                              etc. I respect that, however, I'm a "paperless man". The only thing I
                              like on paper is books. I like whiteboards, but only as something
                              temporary for sketching some drawing and concepts, not for keeping and
                              maintaining anything. I don't feel my way of doing things is by any
                              means inherently worse. So I demand those who love paper and index
                              cards etc. do respect my virtual way of doing things as much as I do
                              respect theirs.

                              Second, the real problem here is getting too dogmatic about tools. As
                              long as you do realize the tool is no more than it is I don't think
                              you can go down the road someone else described at length. Yes, some
                              overdo by adding all kinds of "metrics" and turning Scrum into PMBOK.
                              Hence all the huge apps with hierarchies of backlog items, huge prices
                              and feature bloat.

                              But one can as well overdo with being too dogmatic about only index
                              cards and hand drawn burndowns being the "right way".

                              I think the right way is the way that works in a given situation, for
                              a given team.

                              And, thirdly, in today's world not everyone has the luxury of having
                              everyone at the same office, doing the same hours. And even if you do
                              have that - are your clients on-site? Can they physically walk in and
                              see the backlog, see the burndown? If not, then I'd argue using a good
                              - easy and simple - tool is much better than trying to do it with
                              Excel which is designed for other purposes.

                              The ideal to which we are trying to get is to give a dispersed team or
                              a remote client/product owner a virtual experience that has as much as
                              possible from the physical world meetings etc. whenever and wherever
                              that is not possible.

                              Best regards,
                              Andy Brandt

                              Code Sprinters
                              http://www.codesprinters.com/

                              <poojawandile@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Pooja

                            • Jaideep Khanduja
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 4, 2008

                                > As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with
                                > simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

                                Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                                and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                                As far as ownership is concerned if it is there in a tool, it has to be there (and can very well be there) even if it is an excel spreadsheet. Tools by no chance create ownership, it comes from within.

                                -regds/ jaideep

                                --mj (FULL DISCLOSURE: I sell ScrumWorks. BTW ScrumWorks Basic is still free.)

                                Confidentiality Notice:

                                The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at admin@... immediately and destroy all the copies of this message and any attachments

                              • A.S. Rawat
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 5, 2008
                                  I think what Pete said and Ken also vetted is all essence of doing SCRUM. First time I looked at the excel template passed on to me made me think of other things which took me off the track instead of getting down with brass tacks to start the scrum.
                                  Thanks Pete and Ken.

                                  Rawat.

                                  > As long as your team is centralized, and you are able to work well with
                                  > simple excel sheets, there seems to be no need to go for any tools.

                                  Have you ever seen a whole team assume collective ownership
                                  and control of an Excel spreadsheet?

                                  As far as ownership is concerned if it is there in a tool, it has to be there (and can very well be there) even if it is an excel spreadsheet. Tools by no chance create ownership, it comes from within.

                                  -regds/ jaideep

                                  --mj (FULL DISCLOSURE: I sell ScrumWorks. BTW ScrumWorks Basic is still free.)

                                  Confidentiality Notice:

                                  The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at admin@... immediately and destroy all the copies of this message and any attachments

                                • teckmx5
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 5, 2008
                                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "poojawandile" <poojawandile@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Pooja

                                    Hi Pooja,

                                    there is an Open Source Scrum Tool: Agilo for Scrum. You can download or try it online.
                                    http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/download/

                                    Have fun
                                    Teck
                                  • Basharat Wani
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 5, 2008
                                      Hey

                                      There is another openSource tool called "Tacke" that I evaluated , you can download it from here .

                                      The tool is good.

                                      Regards
                                      Basharat

                                      > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?

                                      Thanks,
                                      > Pooja

                                      Hi Pooja,

                                      there is an Open Source Scrum Tool: Agilo for Scrum. You can download or try it online.
                                      http://www.agile42. com/cms/pages/ download/

                                      Have fun
                                      Teck

                                    • Nicholas Cancelliere
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 6, 2008

                                        I actually took my team off the web-based Scrum tools, I found that they were interacting with the tool more than one another!  Folks started to use the idea of putting a note on a story in the tool (usually buried down on some screen) as communicating and negating the responsibility to actually communicate.  Many conversations would end up starting with "Well Beth I don't understand, because I put a note about this issue on the wiki a couple of days ago - didn't you read it?"

                                        We use a kanban board now and it's a lot better.  Everything is in full view, and if you need to talk to someone you get up and talk to them -- you don't dodge the conversation by conveniently logging a note in a web tool.

                                        While in some settings (like with distributed teams) it's difficult to not use a web-based tool -- I think that teams need to be very mindful when they do use them, and not to treat it as some alternative form of email.

                                        Communication is a two-way event ... I tell you something and I know you heard me and understand me.  Emailing or jotting a note on a wiki isn't necessarily communicating -- it's when the exchange (I email you back, I comment on your wiki note) that we start communicating.  Make sure your teams never loose sight of this fact.

                                        Sincerely,
                                        Nicholas

                                        --
                                        Nicholas Cancelliere
                                        Austin, TX

                                      • Murali Yelamanchili
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 6, 2008
                                          Hi,

                                          We use ScrumWorks Basic for our Scrum tool, which is still free. I won't say that it is the only tool we use. We use a combination of ScrumWorks, JIRA and Excel.

                                          As for whether to use tools or not here is my take on it -

                                          Let us not forget the reality today. In India, where I work, we don't often have the luxury of large office spaces with large meeting rooms. Sometimes we make do by just huddling at the Scrummaster's desk and finish the standup. It is next to impossible to get a physical taskboard, because the office space comes at a premium.
                                          It is not ideal, but the best we can do under these conditions. Just to give you an idea, our floor are seats 70 engineers, and we have only 1 room that can accomodate 10 members at best at a time. And there are 11 teams doing Scrum, and if we all want a taskboard in there, and all try to dash into the room for a meeting.
                                          As Manager and Scrummaster, I don't particularly like what I have to do here.
                                          Similarly, post-it notes are rationed, and not in full supply as and when we want them.

                                          We use a distributed tool (ScrumWorks) because our Product Owner works out of Australia. It works most of the time, except for when the PO is off the grid - I mean when he is on the flight or is not able to connect to the Internet (on the beach or a coffee shop :-) )
                                          When he is not connected, he finds it very difficult to record his ideas into the Product backlog, because he cannot access Scrumworks, and uses an Excel spreadsheet to record his ideas, and then syncs it with the backlog inside Scrumworks when he is back on the VPN again. This is a manual task, because Scrumworks is not really good with export/import of information. But we don't waste time trying to fix it, but get along with it, the best we can, and work around it.

                                          Above all this, I am required to produce an executive summary for my bosses once a Sprint ends, and the Scrum tool makes it easy for me as it generates most of the information I require for the report.
                                          Do I like it? No - not really, but I have to do it.

                                          My point is that tools are useful to those who really need them. I think most of us are sane enough not to use a tool just because it is fashionable, or makes us feel good.

                                          The reality is a bit different than we would like it to be - In my case this means - no physical taskboards, no post-it notes (sorry no supply), shortage of markers and certainly no meeting rooms. And a PO, who needs  offline access, combined with upper management who want executive summaries of Sprints.
                                          Using tools makes my life as a manager and scrummaster easier to certain extent, and helps me concentrate more on what I else can do for the team. So I would certainly advocate using them, but also would state, like others have done here, we be judicious in our use of these tools and not think that they offer a solution to all our problems.

                                          Regards,
                                          Murali

                                          poojawandile wrote:

                                          > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                                          > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                                          > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                                          > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                                          > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                                          > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                                          > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                                          > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                                          > tool itself.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          > Pooja
                                          >
                                          > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                                          > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                                          > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                                          > What are
                                          > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                                          > >

                                          > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                                          > > Pete Deemer
                                          > > GoodAgile
                                          > > CSM in Delhi
                                          (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                                          > details
                                          > > at goodagile.com
                                          > >

                                          > > poojawandile wrote:
                                          > > >

                                          > > > Hi,
                                          > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Thanks,
                                          > > > Pooja

                                        • shiraz
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 6, 2008
                                            HI All
                                            Am currently working on an assignment which i thought might share with you so that canddiates looking out for change can be benefitted
                                            I have a position with a Product Development Company for a Manager Role (PM) for Pune Location,
                                            Exp 8-10 Yrs
                                            Candidate will be responsible for handling Scrum Based development team. Should have good expertise in Java/J2EE. He should be a scrum master/scrum certified. Should have handled team of 4-5 engineers earlier. Good exposure to requirements handling and design.
                                            If any one of you is interested plz revert immediately with updated resume with contact details so that i can speak to you and can take it further
                                            Warm Regards
                                            Shiraz

                                            poojawandile wrote:

                                            > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                                            > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                                            > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                                            > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                                            > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                                            > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                                            > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                                            > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                                            > tool itself.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Pooja
                                            >
                                            > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                                            > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer
                                            > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                                            > What are
                                            > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                                            > >

                                            > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                                            > > Pete Deemer
                                            > > GoodAgile
                                            > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                                            > details
                                            > > at goodagile.com
                                            > >

                                            > > poojawandile wrote:
                                            > > >

                                            > > > Hi,
                                            > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Thanks,
                                            > > > Pooja

                                          • shiraz

                                                poojawandile wrote:

                                                > I am looking for a tool to manage spint backlog, product backlog,
                                                > issues, risks, burndown chart, etc. Though this can be acheived
                                                > through an excel also, I just thought a tool may offer some more
                                                > features which may not be exactly and easily possible through an
                                                > excel spreadsheet, for delegating activities to team emmebers and
                                                > allowing them to update their tasks on their own. With my limited
                                                > knowledge on Scrum, yes, I would be interested in knowing the pros
                                                > and cons of using a tool against an excel sheet or the need of a
                                                > tool itself.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Pooja
                                                >
                                                > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
                                                > <mailto:scrumdevelo pment%40yahoogro ups.com>, Pete Deemer

                                                > <petedeemer@ ...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi Pooja, I get this quite often. My first question is always:
                                                > What are
                                                > > the problems you're having that you'd like the tool to solve?
                                                > >

                                                > > ------------ --------- --------- -------
                                                > > Pete Deemer
                                                > > GoodAgile
                                                > > CSM in Delhi (Gurgaon), March 5-6 - seats still available - full
                                                > details
                                                > > at goodagile.com
                                                > >

                                                > > poojawandile wrote:
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Hi,
                                                > > > Could you please suggest any freeware SCRUM tool?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Thanks,
                                                > > > Pooja

                                              • Daniel Wildt
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 8, 2008
                                                  I have used Scrum Works basic for some projects, it is great and easy to use.

                                                  Now I'm using spreadsheets. I'm not using boards and cards cause currently I don't have environment for that  and I'm working with distributed teams. The spreadsheet is going well and it is an easy point of contact for the whole team.

                                                  The software must help your team. But the team must be able to run a sprint without the tool.
                                                  Try not to use a software tool to control your sprint if you are able to do that in the beginning.
                                                  Just to make sure that the team is aware about how to work with the mechanics.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Daniel Wildt
                                                  http://danielwildt.blogspot.com
                                                  http://weblogs.java.net/blog/dwildt/