Re: [scrumdevelopment] NEW SCRUM PROJECT

  • Peter Stevens
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi Randy,

      I wrote a blog entry about "Sprint Zero," part of a series on Getting Started with Scrum. Hope these are helpful to you!

      Cheers,

      Peter

      RandyInQ8 wrote:

      Hello Everyone,

      I have been a member for a while and never got a chance to really
      participate. I have a project which is composed of one BA, one java
      developer, one QA tester and one UA tester. Basically, I would like
      to implement scrum and the BA will also act as the product owner. Is
      this right.

      We have 10 problems to resolve in this project and I thought I would
      treat the problems as features. Since the developer is new he cannot
      commit to the one week sprint and we can only deal with one problem at
      a time due to resource constraint. Therefore, we initially agreed we
      will have two weeks sprint and at the end of the week, we will have
      demo to the team. My problem is that the developer is also doing
      production support so we don't have his full time commitment.

      What would you advise me? I really want to try and execute scrum
      method in our organization hopefully to be able to deliver software
      faster.

      I need some advise and please ask me more questions if my initial
      statement is not enough to get me started with your mentoring.

      Thanks,

      Randy

      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM
      http://scrum-breakfast.blogspot.com/

    • Roy Morien
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 17, 2008
        I think the direct challenge approach is always useful. In the face of their determination to apply a waterfall approach, ask them to show their project metrics from previous projects. For example, even gross, simple metrics such as Estimated Time versus Actual Time to Completion, Estimated Cost versus Actual Cost to Completion, Number of Errors found by QA that had to be returned to the developers for rectification, Number of errors found by Users after Implementation ... that sort of thing.

        You might ask them to describe /their/ way of measuring project success, and how their Waterfall Development Approach contributes to project success.

        I am by no means an expert on SOX compliance, but agile methods have never had a clause that says don't produce necessary documentation, especially legislatively required documentation. So that should not be an issue at all.

        You might even ask them to present their case against agile methods. This might give you an opportunity to see whether they even understand what it is all about.

        And present some of the research that has demonstrated the Waterfall Approach as being a primary contributor to project failure.

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: tangcov@...
        Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:00:24 +0000
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: NEW SCRUM PROJECT

        We have agreed what DONE would mean to the team and we have some of
        the items such as the functional and UA test are concerned. My
        challenge his is that I am experimenting the scrum approach in a
        waterfall environment. Our SOX requirements tell us to create this
        documents. I would love some mentoring on how I can try to get the
        organization to see scrum and try to use the minimum documentation for
        SOX compliance. I am saying this because we have a PMO that is
        pushing for the waterfall PM process.

        Thanks,

        Randy
        --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Roy Morien <roymorien@. ..> wrote:

        > At the risk of nit-picking, I think the definition of DONE is not
        being ready for production (implying installable in the client's
        production environment) but is ready for trusted use by the
        destination user. This may in fact be another developer, or, indeed,
        the end-user.

        > Regards,
        > Roy Morien
        >

        > To: scrumdevelopment@ ...: woyna@...: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:56:31
        +0000Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: NEW SCRUM PROJECT

        > In agile, the story/feature/ item is not "done" until it's ready
        toinstall into production. The Sprint Backlog should include every
        tasknecessary to get the feature completed, including all
        testing,required documentation, training, installation, etc.Will the
        developer be doing all these tasks, or will somebody else bejoining
        the team?Mark--- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "RandyInQ8"
        <tangcov@> wrote:>> Thank you everyone. I will try all of these as I
        progress with the> Scrum method. I would like to ask you about the
        product backlog. I> basically have 8 items to deliver. According to
        the developer, it> will take him about 80 hours per item. > > Would
        these items the only thing I would need in my back log or do I> need
        to show development, QA and UAT components for each back log item?> >
        Thanks,> > Randy> > --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "Tobias
        Mayer"> <tobias.mayer@ > wrote:> >> > Hi Randy,> > > > The two week
        period makes sense. Here are a few suggestions. > > > > 1. Make sure
        that the developer, QA tester, UA tester and BA allshare a> > work
        space. They are one team, and need to discuss and collaborate> >
        frequently.> > > > 2. If a feature is too big to be completed in a
        single 2-week sprint> > find ways to slice it vertically so each slice
        (story) fits into an> > iteration. Start thinking in terms of User
        Stories as well asfeatures,> > and read Mike Cohn's book, User Stories
        Applied> > <http://www.amazon. com/dp/032120568 5> (assuming you haven't
        already).> > > > 3. Be sure that the whole team (all 4) are sharing
        the commitment to> > "done" and that the features/stories committed to
        are coded,tested and> > have whatever user docs needed for release by
        the end of theiteration. > > It is not sufficient for just the
        developer to be done.> > > > 4. When a team member is not committed
        full time it helps greatly to> > make visible his other work. Treat
        the work almost as stories on a> > separate backlog, and track them on
        your board. If the workconsists of> > lots of small talks just add a
        sticky each time a new one comesup. If> > sprint commitments are
        missed his technique helps management to see> > exactly why, and
        allows them to re-prioritize accordingly. > > > > 5. Even though the
        sprints are two weeks it may make sense in the> > beginning to hold
        weekly retrospectives. I recommend 30-60minutes for> > a small team.
        This helps to keep things on track and quickly address> > any issues
        that have arisen.> > > > I hope this helps, and best of luck.> > > >
        <tangcov@>> > wrote:> > >> > > Hello Everyone,> > >> > > I have been a

        http://a.ninemsn. com.au/b. aspx?URL= http%3A%2F% 2Flavalife9% 2Eninemsn% 2Ecom%2Eau% 2Fclickthru% 2Fclickthru% 2Eact%3Fid% 3Dninemsn% 26context% 3Dan99%26locale% 3Den%5FAU% 26a%3D30288& _t=764581033& _r=email_ taglines_ Join_free_ OCT07&_m= EXT

        Find it at www.seek.com.au Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it!