Re: [scrumdevelopment] Consistent sprint lengths

  • tony pagliocco
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
      From my experience, sprint lenght consistency is important because it allows there to be estimation set on certain products in the backlog based on their priority in the list.

      If you were to change length of the sprint each time , it would never allow for accurate destimation because there would never be a proper determination of how many story points should go into each sprint.

      The books I've read have all said that sprint go 4 weeks , but our team is using 2 week sprints since we started and find them working well.

      Tony

      CJ <laraidah@...> wrote:
      Why is consistent sprint length so important? Are there exceptions
      (like different points in the project)?

    • Andreas Leidig
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
        Another aspect is the external view of your project: it is much easier
        to make outside stakeholders shut up for a while if you give them a
        clear picture of when they can influence the project and especially
        when they will receive feedback.

        Consider the following situation as an example:

        You are in a "consolidating middleware project". Your product
        communicates with a multitude of backend systems and is used by quite
        a number of different frontends. Typically one fronted is for one
        specific customer and often associated with one distinct backend.
        If you are trying to co-ordinate the different customers as well as
        the different systems it will help you very much if you can tell these
        outsiders: OK, but we have a 3-week rhythm of delivering results.

        In this example the other systems didn't use scrum and were not part
        of our organization. But at the point they understood that this rhythm
        is short enough to adapt to customer's delivery wishes and also long
        enough to get productive in developping, they were really happy and
        synchronized with our beat.

        Hope this helps illustrating the importance.

        Andreas
      • andybrandt_dot_net
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
          Hi!

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, tony pagliocco >
          > The books I've read have all said that sprint go 4 weeks , but our
          team is using 2 week sprints since we started and find them working well.

          Same here. We started with 4 weeks but it didn't work well. On Mike
          Cohn's advice we switched to 2 weeks and it worked great for more than
          a year now on few projects. But now on one project we've even switched
          to 1 week sprints and first impressions of the team are quite positive.

          Best regards,
          Andy

          > Tony
          >
          > CJ <laraidah@...> wrote:
          > Why is consistent sprint length so important? Are there
          exceptions
          > (like different points in the project)?

          Try it now.