Re: [scrumdevelopment] Consistent sprint lengths

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008

      > Why is consistent sprint length so important? Are there exceptions
      > (like different points in the project)?

      If you search the archive of this list you will find a multitude of
      answers. The one I like to give most is:

      1.) Commitment
      2.) Batch sizes (amount of work you do)
      3.) Adaptability
      4.) Predictability
      5.) Self-organisation patterns that develop.

      By having a steady heartbeat your team can feel at ease in the
      environment they have to work in. There is no reason at all to have
      varying sprint lengths. If you started out with 20 days and after 5
      sprints your teams wants to go to 10day sprints, by all means do.

      -d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
    • tony pagliocco
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
        From my experience, sprint lenght consistency is important because it allows there to be estimation set on certain products in the backlog based on their priority in the list.

        If you were to change length of the sprint each time , it would never allow for accurate destimation because there would never be a proper determination of how many story points should go into each sprint.

        The books I've read have all said that sprint go 4 weeks , but our team is using 2 week sprints since we started and find them working well.

        Tony

        CJ <laraidah@...> wrote:
        Why is consistent sprint length so important? Are there exceptions
        (like different points in the project)?

      • Andreas Leidig
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
          Another aspect is the external view of your project: it is much easier
          to make outside stakeholders shut up for a while if you give them a
          clear picture of when they can influence the project and especially
          when they will receive feedback.

          Consider the following situation as an example:

          You are in a "consolidating middleware project". Your product
          communicates with a multitude of backend systems and is used by quite
          a number of different frontends. Typically one fronted is for one
          specific customer and often associated with one distinct backend.
          If you are trying to co-ordinate the different customers as well as
          the different systems it will help you very much if you can tell these
          outsiders: OK, but we have a 3-week rhythm of delivering results.

          In this example the other systems didn't use scrum and were not part
          of our organization. But at the point they understood that this rhythm
          is short enough to adapt to customer's delivery wishes and also long
          enough to get productive in developping, they were really happy and
          synchronized with our beat.

          Hope this helps illustrating the importance.

          Andreas
        • andybrandt_dot_net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
            Hi!

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, tony pagliocco >
            > The books I've read have all said that sprint go 4 weeks , but our
            team is using 2 week sprints since we started and find them working well.

            Same here. We started with 4 weeks but it didn't work well. On Mike
            Cohn's advice we switched to 2 weeks and it worked great for more than
            a year now on few projects. But now on one project we've even switched
            to 1 week sprints and first impressions of the team are quite positive.

            Best regards,
            Andy

            > Tony
            >
            > CJ <laraidah@...> wrote:
            > Why is consistent sprint length so important? Are there
            exceptions
            > (like different points in the project)?

            Try it now.