Agile Balance to Extreme Pressure

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2004
      Go ahead extreme-doers, make my balanced day....

      Under EXTREME PRESSURE I am being coerced to give up
      what I consider a good idea, a good name, and most
      important a VALUABLE contribution and concept to
      those who need it or can use it.

      But you should know this Extremists:

      I WILL NOT BE COERCED TO CHANGE SOMETHING
      I BELIEVE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
      TO BE *TRUE* and *VALUABLE*

      I SHALL NEVER GIVE IN.

      AND

      I SHALL NEVER ALLOW ANYONE TO TELL ME WHAT TO THINK
      OR WHAT TO SAY.

      Long lives Balanced Agility!!!

      Long lives the Simplest Thing to DO!!

      Long lives Scrum!!!

      Long lives Common Sense!!! and

      Long lives Freedom of Speech!!!

      - Mike
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2004
        Go ahead extreme-doers, make my balanced day....

        Under EXTREME PRESSURE I am being coerced to give up
        what I consider a good idea, a good name, and most
        important a VALUABLE contribution and concept to
        those who need it or can use it.

        But you should know this Extremists:

        I WILL NOT BE COERCED TO CHANGE SOMETHING
        I BELIEVE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
        TO BE *TRUE* and *VALUABLE*

        I SHALL NEVER GIVE IN.

        AND

        I SHALL NEVER ALLOW ANYONE TO TELL ME WHAT TO THINK
        OR WHAT TO SAY.

        Long live Balanced Agility!!!

        Long live the Simplest Thing to DO!!

        Long live Scrum!!!

        Long live Common Sense!!! and

        Long live Freedom of Speech!!!

        - Mike
      • Hemant Desai
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
          WOW !!!!!
          This is one of the most possionate displays that I have seen in a long time. :)

          Mike Beedle <beedlem@...> wrote:

          Go ahead extreme-doers, make my balanced day....

          Under EXTREME PRESSURE I am being coerced to give up
          what I consider a good idea, a good name, and most
          important a VALUABLE contribution and concept to
          those who need it or can use it.

          But you should know this Extremists:

                I WILL NOT BE COERCED TO CHANGE SOMETHING
                I BELIEVE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
                TO BE *TRUE* and *VALUABLE*

          I SHALL NEVER GIVE IN.

          AND

          I SHALL NEVER ALLOW ANYONE TO TELL ME WHAT TO THINK
          OR WHAT TO SAY.

          Long lives Balanced Agility!!!

          Long lives the Simplest Thing to DO!!

          Long lives Scrum!!!

          Long lives Common Sense!!! and

          Long lives Freedom of Speech!!!

          - Mike

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Mike Beedle
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
            Message
            Harmant:

            Yes, I am passionate about Scrum, Balanced Agility and software development in general.

            Things in Life are not always harmonious, but it is true, we must choose our
            battles carefully.

            I chose my battle and position to be that of _balance_.

            That is strange isn't it, to be in conflict while arguing for balance.

            Go figure ....

            - Mike

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
              I do not know why we are dredging this up again.

              I feel just as passionately that although the concept is a very good one that I have already been practicing in my own way, it is not intrinsically more balanced than vanilla Scrum, XP, or any other form of agile software development. Balance is a function of the entire context (time, project, team, organization, customer, market, etc.), not just the agility of the methodology (or meta-methodology). To call any methodology "balanced" in and of itself makes it harder for people to understand this critical point.

              Steven Gordon
              http://sf.asu.edu/

              Mike Beedle <beedlem@...> wrote:

              Go ahead extreme-doers, make my balanced day....

              Under EXTREME PRESSURE I am being coerced to give up
              what I consider a good idea, a good name, and most
              important a VALUABLE contribution and concept to
              those who need it or can use it.

              But you should know this Extremists:

              I WILL NOT BE COERCED TO CHANGE SOMETHING
              I BELIEVE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
              TO BE *TRUE* and *VALUABLE*

              I SHALL NEVER GIVE IN.

              AND

              I SHALL NEVER ALLOW ANYONE TO TELL ME WHAT TO THINK
              OR WHAT TO SAY.

              Long lives Balanced Agility!!!

              Long lives the Simplest Thing to DO!!

              Long lives Scrum!!!

              Long lives Common Sense!!! and

              Long lives Freedom of Speech!!!

              - Mike

              _____

              Do you Yahoo!?
              Get better spam protection with Yahoo! Mail <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Click HereClick Here <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cmurcsn/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707209021:HM/EXP=1078168552/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141iocmbm/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078082152397341?>
              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=388939359>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 29, 2004
                On Sunday, February 29, 2004, at 2:11:24 PM, Mike Beedle wrote:

                > That is strange isn't it, to be in conflict while arguing for balance.

                Is it ever really strange to be in conflict when choosing to argue?

                The central "e" in "Jeffries" is silent ... and invisible.
                Don't you wish he was?
              • Mike Beedle
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Message

                  Steven Gordon wrote:
                  > I feel
                  just as passionately that although the
                  > concept is a very good one that
                  I have already
                  > been practicing in my own way,

                  Steven:

                  Interesting, that makes six different groups since this discussion started that
                  are doing something similar.

                  Just as I thought, this had to be a *very common thing*.

                  I bet you there is more, maybe even *many more*.

                  Steven Gordon wrote:
                  > it is not
                  class=267545817-01032004> intrinsically more balanced than
                  > vanilla Scrum,
                  class=267545817-01032004> XP, or any other form of agile
                  > software development.

                  Ah, but I am not saying is *more* balanced, I am saying that it is an *easier
                  balance* to achieve, perhaps even a *minimal balance* when you get started.

                  I also not saying is a "better balance" I am just saying it is easier to achieve.

                  I think the strong arguments were clouding the space and making the concept
                  hard to understand, which in my view is *very simple*:

                      - do the simplest thing that works first (get to that "easy" balance) and then,
                      - add more engineering practices (as you stay in balance)

                  It is that easy.

                  There are no promises of being a "better balance" or that an "overall balance"
                  is included.  (No grandiose claims, .... just that it is easier.)

                  Steven Gordon wrote:
                  > Balance is a function of the
                  entire context
                  > (time, project, team,
                  organization, customer,
                  > market, etc.), not just the
                  agility of the
                  > methodology (or
                  meta-methodology).
                  I agree, but I never said that there was an "overall balance" promised in Balanced Agility ;-)

                  Steven Gordon wrote:
                  > To call any methodology "balanced" in and of
                  > itself makes it harder for people to understand
                  > this critical point.

                  Just to clear a few misunderstandings:

                      * Balance Agility is not a methodology is a minimal "engineering starting (balanced) point"
                        using Scrum AND the commitment to stay in balance as you add more engineering
                        practices.

                      * It is not "balanced in and of itself", you have to struggle to keep your
                        balance at two levels:

                              1) in doing the minimal "right things" to successfully complete the
                                 software development cycles when you start scrumming and
                              2) in making sure that what you ask your development staff is realistic.

                  Does this make sense?

                  - Mike

                  LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS

                  uses logic
                  detail oriented
                  facts rule
                  words and language
                  present and past
                  math and science
                  can comprehend
                  knowing
                  acknowledges
                  order/pattern perception
                  knows object name
                  reality based
                  forms strategies
                  practical
                  safe

                  RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS

                  uses feeling
                  "big picture" oriented
                  imagination rules
                  symbols and images
                  present and future
                  philosophy & religion
                  can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
                  believing
                  appreciates
                  spatial perception
                  knows object function
                  fantasy based
                  presents possibilities
                  impetuous
                  risk taking

                • Mike Beedle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004

                    Ron Jeffries wrote:
                    > Is it ever really strange to be in conflict when choosing
                    > to argue?

                    Ron:

                    Well, I could have chosen to stay quiet,
                    or to not publish or elaborate my idea,
                    and to let the world be, without Balanced Agility.

                    But now I am glad I went through that argument,
                    and through the thorough exploration of the idea --
                    the world as I see it, will be better with
                    Balanced Agility.

                    ***

                    Yes, I am making this an official announcement, I see
                    so much value in this idea, I will be writing a book
                    in the next 3 months with the title:

                    Balance Agility with Scrum:
                    The Easy and Minimal Road to
                    Agile Software Development

                    Wish me luck.

                    I will let you know of drafts available for review
                    on this list!

                    - Mike
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                      On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 1:41:49 PM, Mike Beedle wrote:

                      > Balance Agility with Scrum:
                      > The Easy and Minimal Road to
                      > Agile Software Development

                      I like the name "Balance Agility with Scrum".

                      And I hope you understand now why a number of us don't like the name
                      "Balanced Agility".

                      I could be wrong, of course. It's just not the way to bet.