Google spreadsheets for scrum...

  • D
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 21, 2008
      I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum but is
      anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
      security a worry?
    • jgabardini
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 21, 2008
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "D" <dmahlitz@...> wrote:

        > I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum but is
        > anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
        > security a worry?

        We are using Google spreadsheets, for the sprint backlog and the
        product backlog.
        Security is not a concern for us... but as it is shared only to the
        team and stakeholders... it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

        Juan
      • Chris Brookins
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 21, 2008
          We used Google Spreedsheets extensively until we switched to JIRA & the Greenhopper plug-in which is amazing.  We liked Google spreadsheets for what it was.  Our IT dept was concerned about security, but never so much that they pulled the plug on it while we were using it.

          - Chris

          On 2/21/08, D <dmahlitz@...> wrote:

          I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum but is
          anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
          security a worry?

        • malisz999
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 21, 2008
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "D" <dmahlitz@...> wrote:

            > I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum but is
            > anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
            > security a worry?

            Hi,

            we find google spreadsheet very usefull especially when teams and
            stakeholders have different locations. We've started with Excel
            spreadsheet but finally decided that simultanous and browser access to
            backlogs are more important for us than security issue. We feel a
            little bit uncomfortable since crucial data are not located on our
            servers.

            Regards
            Artur
          • Tony
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 21, 2008
              For a cross geography team , why not consider software like Rally?

              As long as your accurately tracking, any format will work, but
              availabitlity and reliability is probably something key you'd want to
              consider.
            • Banibrata Dutta
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                With a bit of discipline, google spreadsheets could be made quite secure, infact sometimes, more secure than a traditional spreadsheet sitting on someone's laptop (consider the issues with laptop getting stolen, and data theft). Accessing over "https:" for instance, keeping strong account passwords, changing passwords as frequently as you can afford to, and making sure that the shared document is accessed from everyone's personal accounts, and not from a common account. It can improve trackability.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tpagliocco@...> wrote:

                  > For a cross geography team , why not consider software like Rally?
                  >
                  > As long as your accurately tracking, any format will work, but
                  > availabitlity and reliability is probably something key you'd want to
                  > consider.

                  My experience is when you use sphisticated tool rather than very simple
                  you start to expect it will fit your needs well and get confused when
                  it doesn't.
                  If you suggest Rally software I think you work on it more than a while.
                  Can you write in a few words how it fits scrum and do you find it to be
                  enough for development process within scrum framework, what are minuses
                  (if exists) of this software ? - Thanks in advance
                • barvybe
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "D" <dmahlitz@...> wrote:

                    > I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum but is
                    > anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
                    > security a worry?

                    We started with Google Docs, but moved to VersionOne's product instead
                    because, while it has a price tag, it provided some things that were
                    very important to our team and executive group:

                    1. many of our dev resources are outsourced - V1 provides ways to
                    track hours and document discussion, requirements (as needed), and
                    bugs back to stories so that we can do invoice reconciliation

                    2. notifications and status are readily available - we have lots of
                    ongoing projects with some cross project resource sharing so this was
                    imperative for us.

                    3. related to above - you can see allotments by resource easily
                  • Mark Saffell

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 23, 2008

                        Sharepoint is one option – and it is cumbersome.

                        I was browsing some blogs today and came across the Microsoft Scrum Kit:

                        http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=98602&clcid=0x409

                        I also have my modified version of the XLS posted on my site at http://mitchlacey.com/ under “resources”.

                        May not help the cross geo stuff, but its what I use regularly on teams I am on.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 25, 2008
                            Hi all,

                            [Real life ON]

                            This is an interesting thread and topic that I run into with clients many times.

                            I always (did I say "always") encourage teams to start with the easiest thing -- white boards, post-it-notes -- to effectively establish face-to-face communications.  In person.

                            Now, in the real world, outside stakeholders *want* to know what is happening.  Usually from day one of the project.

                            I usually go to a simple Google spreadsheet -- and unfortunately what follows is that "corporate security" does not want any "confidential" information outside the firewall.  Never mind that the initial Product Backlog rarely even makes sense to the team that created it (smile).  From there it goes internal to some other tool (maybe even just a shared Excel Spreadsheet).

                            I have worked on projects where Google has been extremely responsive if say, our product backlog or sprint backlog goes down (this happens with every tool, including white boards being erased at night!).  I was impressed with that (sometimes I feel google goes into auto-responder world too much).

                            Finally, I have actually opened the Product Backlog for my site ImplementingScrum.com as a Google spreadsheet last week (it is just getting started as a "public" document) and there are some neat functions for allowing people to add to the backlog (like a form).

                            View the ImplementingScrum Product Backlog: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pRjAmzE2-mzVmXBB-9fblVw
                            Update the ImplementingScrum Product Backlog:  http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pRjAmzE2-mzVmXBB-9fblVw

                            I'd love feedback on how you think this is working -- and feel free to copy the idea to your teams.   Please let me know if you have any other ideas for updating how I am implementing it at the implementingscrum.com site.

                            Remember -- EVERY team is different and what they need will vary.

                            Your goal is to still produce what?

                            Working Software!

                            [Real Life CONTINUE]

                            Thank you,

                            - Mike Vizdos

                             Contact Information

                                      Web:      www.implementingscrum.com
                                                      www.michaelvizdos.com
                              AOL IM:  MikeV Work
                                      Skype:    mvizdos

                            For a complete list of my upcoming workshops and public appearances please visit www.michaelvizdos.com.

                            On Feb 21, 2008, at 8:51 AM, D wrote:

                            I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum but is
                            anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
                            security a worry?

                          • Dave Minor
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1 12:46 PM
                              Artur,

                              I have not found a way with google spreadsheets to copy or move
                              records from one sheet to another (in the same spreadsheet) or from
                              one spreadsheet to another. Maybe I'm just missing it? For
                              instance, in this case, how do you move things from your product
                              backlog to your spring backlog? Is there a better way than copy/
                              paste each cell one at a time?

                              dm

                              On Feb 22, 2008, at 1:23 AM, malisz999 wrote:

                              > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "D" <dmahlitz@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum
                              > but is
                              > > anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
                              > > security a worry?
                              >
                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > we find google spreadsheet very usefull especially when teams and
                              > stakeholders have different locations. We've started with Excel
                              > spreadsheet but finally decided that simultanous and browser access to
                              > backlogs are more important for us than security issue. We feel a
                              > little bit uncomfortable since crucial data are not located on our
                              > servers.
                              >
                              > Regards
                              > Artur

                            • Chris Brookins
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1 1:32 PM
                                You can select an entire range of cells and copy & paste

                                On 3/1/08, Dave Minor <dminor@...> wrote:

                                Artur,

                                I have not found a way with google spreadsheets to copy or move
                                records from one sheet to another (in the same spreadsheet) or from
                                one spreadsheet to another. Maybe I'm just missing it? For
                                instance, in this case, how do you move things from your product
                                backlog to your spring backlog? Is there a better way than copy/
                                paste each cell one at a time?

                                dm

                                On Feb 22, 2008, at 1:23 AM, malisz999 wrote:

                                > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "D" <dmahlitz@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I know a lot of folks use Excel spreadsheets for tracking scrum
                                > but is
                                > > anyone using Google spreadsheets for the cross geography team? Is
                                > > security a worry?
                                >
                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > we find google spreadsheet very usefull especially when teams and
                                > stakeholders have different locations. We've started with Excel
                                > spreadsheet but finally decided that simultanous and browser access to
                                > backlogs are more important for us than security issue. We feel a
                                > little bit uncomfortable since crucial data are not located on our
                                > servers.
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Artur

                              • malisz999
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 1 2:52 PM
                                  Hi Dave,

                                  in Google spreadsheet copy&paste works fine so you can try, if you
                                  want to copy whole sheet there should be an option "duplicate sheet"
                                  (or similar I don't remember exact name). I do it every sprint begin -
                                  I copy an empty template for new sprint backlog to prepre new space
                                  for team to fill in.

                                  But it's not clear to me why do you want to copy product backlog to
                                  sprint backlog ? Sprint backlog consists of tasks while product
                                  backlog lists requirements - does your situation differ from that ?

                                  Regards
                                  Artur

                                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Dave Minor <dminor@...>