XBreed Question

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2002
      Keith Ray asked me this question in the XP mailing list:

      What makes XBreed different from Scrum
      and different from XP?

      Here is my response,

      - Mike

      Keith Ray wrote:
      > XBreed question -- XP + Scrum...
      >
      > I look at Scrum (based on Schwaber/Beedle book) and the
      > only 'management practice' I see different from XP is
      > the Scrum Master.
      >
      > What makes XBreed different from Scrum and different from XP?

      Keith:

      Good question. There are many things that are different
      from both XP and Scrum in XBreed:

      - XBreed has extra practices for managing several
      concurrent projects and to achieve reuse:

      * there are many techniques to add
      concurrent application teams (not in XP or Scrum)
      * there are many techniques to prioritize, manage and
      release the "Global Backlog" (not in XP or Scrum)
      * "Shared Backlog" (not in XP or Scrum)
      * Scrum of Scrums (this is in Scrum as well but
      the focus is expanded).
      * Shared Resources Team Leader (not in XP or Scrum)
      * Shared Resources Developers (not in XP or Scrum)
      * Architects/Coaches that go away as the
      team matures. These are people that help with
      both "process and technology", serve as mentors
      to others and do actual work -- at least 50% of
      their time is spent doing development.
      We explicitly call them "architects" because
      companies have budgets for them ;-)
      These "architects" are very similar to XP
      coaches but have added responsibilities:
      they form a virtual team for the shared
      resources as well. (not in XP or Scrum)
      * Integration/Testing. There are several
      practices to manage/communicate/release/test
      several concurrent product lines that include
      several concurrent applications and shared
      resources (not in XP or Scrum)
      * reusable components are sponsored by
      teams that need them (not in XP or Scrum)
      * reusable components are only created
      when they are needed i.e. the multi-application
      version of YAGNI (not in XP or Scrum)
      etc.

      - XBreed is more than a process. It comes with
      a framework for doing Java/servlet-based development
      in something we call the "Enterprise Agent Network" or EAN
      (not in XP or Scrum):

      * Distributed agent architecture that listens and responds
      to events in a heterogeneous cluster

      * Agent-to-agent interactions based on the PAC
      (Presentation-Abstraction-Control) pattern, and
      on the MVC (Model-View-Controller) pattern for visual
      interactions.

      * Allows the creation of reusable components at
      different levels:

      workflows
      visual components
      business services
      transactions
      business objects
      architectural services

      * Allows the integration of several communication protocols
      for inputs and responses:

      HTTP
      XML-RPC (non SOAP)
      XML-RPC SOAP
      MQ Series
      JSPs

      (EAN is not mandatory but it greatly helps to speed
      the delivery of multiple complex applications in a Java
      environment.)

      - Mike
      http://www.e-architects.com
      http://www.hipaaccelerator.com
      http://www.xbreed.com

      ** Business Opportunities. We are, Hipaa Accelerator, the only
      company with a comprehensive set of components and frameworks
      to solve the HIPAA Privacy problem. If you are a Covered Entity
      or Business Associate, or you have contacts in the
      healthcare industry, let's talk. We have demos available. We also
      have great commission schedules for marketing partners.

      ** Also, if you are looking for jobs doing agile software development
      contact us asap. We have some very large accounts where we
      will need to fill all sorts of roles (XBreed/XP/Scrum projects).