Re: [scrumdevelopment] Must See Movie - Your suggestion?

  • Ben Scheirman
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
      I've watched this talk and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I would definitely recommend that a team watch this (after Apollo 13 of course).

      On Feb 2, 2008 5:12 AM, Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

      Following on David's suggestion to watch a blockbuster--I've had a team watch Apollo 13. Shortly after a big bug was found and fixed (after a late-nighter to find it and test it) we watched it as a great movie about debugging. I love the line "Lets work the problem people, not make things worse by guessing," which we so often do in debugging.

      If you're interested in estimating and planning, Google recorded a 90-minute session I did on their campus for bayXP. They posted it on YouTube but if you go here
      you can get the link to the video as well as the slides from the talk.
      Given 90 minutes to spare, though, I'd rather watch Apollo 13. :)

      Regards,

      Mike Cohn
      Author:
        Agile Estimating and Planning
        User Stories Applied

      On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:31 AM, David H. wrote:

      > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed any
      > on other sites.

      There are a lot of Google Talk Videos which are relevant. However I
      would pick something more entertaining. Pick a blockbuster that
      focuses on collaboration or a movie that focuses on teamwork. Much
      more effective I find....

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
        Tony,

        > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team, that is
        > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to
        > learn more.

        I would recommend you ask them to pick what to see (or do). ;)

        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...
      • Ilja Preuss
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
          Not a blockbuster, but a good movie on a failed movie-making project:
          "Lost in La Mancha".

          The Discovery Channel Series "Kings of Construction" is also quite
          entertaining for those who think that construction projects are always
          on time and in budget... ;)

          Cheers, Ilja

          Mike Cohn wrote:
          > Following on David's suggestion to watch a blockbuster--I've had a team
          > watch Apollo 13. Shortly after a big bug was found and fixed (after a
          > late-nighter to find it and test it) we watched it as a great movie
          > about debugging. I love the line "Lets work the problem people, not make
          > things worse by guessing," which we so often do in debugging.
          >
          > If you're interested in estimating and planning, Google recorded a
          > 90-minute session I did on their campus for bayXP. They posted it on
          > YouTube but if you go here
          > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentation/51
          > you can get the link to the video as well as the slides from the talk.
          > Given 90 minutes to spare, though, I'd rather watch Apollo 13. :)
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Mike Cohn
          > Author:
          > Agile Estimating and Planning
          > User Stories Applied
          > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com <http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com>
          >

          > On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:31 AM, David H. wrote:
          >
          >> > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed any
          >> > on other sites.
          >> >
          >> There are a lot of Google Talk Videos which are relevant. However I
          >> would pick something more entertaining. Pick a blockbuster that
          >> focuses on collaboration or a movie that focuses on teamwork. Much
          >> more effective I find....
          >>
          >> --
          >> Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
          >> Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail accounts.
          >>
          >> "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
          >> benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

        • Tobias Mayer
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
            Outsourced.  I'd say this movie is about Agile solutions... and flow, and other relevant ideas.
            And it's a lot of fun.  Trailer on YouTube.

            Tobias

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:

            > Not a blockbuster, but a good movie on a failed movie-making project:
            > "Lost in La Mancha".
            >
            > The Discovery Channel Series "Kings of Construction" is also quite
            > entertaining for those who think that construction projects are always
            > on time and in budget... ;)
            >
            > Cheers, Ilja
            >
            > Mike Cohn wrote:
            > > Following on David's suggestion to watch a blockbuster--I've had a team
            > > watch Apollo 13. Shortly after a big bug was found and fixed (after a
            > > late-nighter to find it and test it) we watched it as a great movie
            > > about debugging. I love the line "Lets work the problem people, not make
            > > things worse by guessing," which we so often do in debugging.
            > >
            > > If you're interested in estimating and planning, Google recorded a
            > > 90-minute session I did on their campus for bayXP. They posted it on
            > > YouTube but if you go here
            > > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentation/51
            > > you can get the link to the video as well as the slides from the talk.
            > > Given 90 minutes to spare, though, I'd rather watch Apollo 13. :)
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Mike Cohn
            > > Author:
            > > Agile Estimating and Planning
            > > User Stories Applied
            > > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com <http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com>

            > >> There are a lot of Google Talk Videos which are relevant. However I
            > >> would pick something more entertaining. Pick a blockbuster that
            > >> focuses on collaboration or a movie that focuses on teamwork. Much
            > >> more effective I find....
            > >>
            > >> --
            > >> Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
            > >> Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail accounts.
            > >>
            > >> "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
            > >> benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

          • Tony
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
              I started watching this and it seemed pretty cool, but through this I
              found the googletechtalks on Yahoo which had some very good videos as
              well. I guess the most important question now that I have some ammo
              is where to get the pizza from and what kind heh :)

              Apollo13 ? I havent seen it yet myself tbh. heh

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scheirman"
              <subdigital@...> wrote:

              > I've watched this talk and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely
              > recommend that a team watch this (after Apollo 13 of course).
              >
              > On Feb 2, 2008 5:12 AM, Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Following on David's suggestion to watch a blockbuster--I've had
              a team
              > > watch Apollo 13. Shortly after a big bug was found and fixed (after a
              > > late-nighter to find it and test it) we watched it as a great
              movie about
              > > debugging. I love the line "Lets work the problem people, not make
              things
              > > worse by guessing," which we so often do in debugging.
              > >
              > > If you're interested in estimating and planning, Google recorded a
              > > 90-minute session I did on their campus for bayXP. They posted it
              on YouTube
              > > but if you go here
              > > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentation/51
              > > you can get the link to the video as well as the slides from the talk.
              > > Given 90 minutes to spare, though, I'd rather watch Apollo 13. :)
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Mike Cohn
              > > Author:
              > > Agile Estimating and Planning
              > > User Stories Applied
              > > www.mountaingoatsoftware.com
              > >

              > > On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:31 AM, David H. wrote:
              > >
              > > > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've
              missed any
              > > > on other sites.
              > > >
              > > There are a lot of Google Talk Videos which are relevant. However I
              > > would pick something more entertaining. Pick a blockbuster that
              > > focuses on collaboration or a movie that focuses on teamwork. Much
              > > more effective I find....
              > >
              > > --
              > > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
              > > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
              accounts.

              > > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
              > > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

            • Scott W. Killen
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008

                Tony,

                If you go to www.AgileAustin.org and click on the Resources link in the left navigation pane, you will find a great list of Books, websites, listservs, blogs, podcasts and videos to get you going.

                We are always looking to add to this list as well.

                Scott W. Killen

                President, Agile Austin

              • Vijay
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Try http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/308

                  Here, Ricardo Semler speaks out about Empowering people to change vs.
                  Command and Control.

                  Enjoy..........Vijay.

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tpagliocco@...>
                  wrote:

                  > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while
                  we
                  > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.
                  >
                  > Essentially its a way for the team to have some pizza, kick back,
                  and
                  > get better ideas and foundations as our team grows together and
                  bigger.

                  > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team, that
                  is
                  > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to
                  learn
                  > more.
                  >
                  > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed
                  any
                  > on other sites.
                  >
                  > Your suggestions are well appreciated, thanks.

                • stig.efsen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2008
                    Hi Vijay,

                    very interesting video - I like Richardo's storytelling - easy to
                    temember the key takeaways.

                    While we are talking about videos.

                    At JAOO Sept 2007 we did a XP Velocity Game with almost 100 Scrum
                    students. We produced a short video - just for fun. Thanks to the
                    Scrum Trainers Gabriella Benefield, Jeff Sutherland and Jens
                    Ƙstergaard for three great courses.

                    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1105002681717833944&pr=goog-sl

                    Cheers
                    Stig

                    --
                    Stig Efsen
                    www.trifork.com

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Vijay" <vijay_nathani@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Try http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/308
                    >
                    > Here, Ricardo Semler speaks out about Empowering people to change
                    vs.
                    > Command and Control.
                    >
                    > Enjoy..........Vijay.
                    >
                    > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tpagliocco@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza
                    while
                    > we
                    > > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.
                    > >
                    > > Essentially its a way for the team to have some pizza, kick back,
                    > and
                    > > get better ideas and foundations as our team grows together and
                    > bigger.
                    > >
                    > > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team,
                    that
                    > is
                    > > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to
                    > learn
                    > > more.
                    > >
                    > > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've
                    missed
                    > any
                    > > on other sites.
                    > >
                    > > Your suggestions are well appreciated, thanks.

                  • darren halliday
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2008
                      I gave a presentation on Scrum last week and on the slide discussing the role of the team I had a picture of the Jamaican Bobsley team made famous by the film Cool Runnings hurtling down a run. Analogy being eveyone in team needs to work together as a unit to achieve maximum benefit. Probably better metaphors out there but hilarious film if you want an excuse to watch it in work!

                      wrote:

                      > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while
                      we
                      > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.
                      >
                      > Essentially its a way for the team to have some pizza, kick back,
                      and
                      > get better ideas and foundations as our team grows together and
                      bigger.

                      > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team, that
                      is
                      > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to
                      learn
                      > more.
                      >
                      > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed
                      any
                      > on other sites.
                      >
                      > Your suggestions are well appreciated, thanks.

                    • A.S. Rawat
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2008
                        There are few other google videos and one by Ken is best I liked. Here is the link:

                        wrote:

                        > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while
                        we
                        > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.
                        >
                        > Essentially its a way for the team to have some pizza, kick back,
                        and
                        > get better ideas and foundations as our team grows together and
                        bigger.

                        > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team, that
                        is
                        > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to
                        learn
                        > more.
                        >
                        > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed
                        any
                        > on other sites.
                        >
                        > Your suggestions are well appreciated, thanks.

                      • mfeathers256
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 6, 2008
                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tpagliocco@...> wrote:

                          > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while we
                          > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.
                          >
                          > Essentially its a way for the team to have some pizza, kick back, and
                          > get better ideas and foundations as our team grows together and bigger.
                          >
                          > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team, that is
                          > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to learn
                          > more.
                          >
                          > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed any
                          > on other sites.

                          Don't limit yourself to movies about software.

                          If your team watches _Aguirre Wrath of God_ and Sun Ra's: _A Joyful
                          Noise_ back to back, there's a good chance that they'll have an
                          incredible discussion of teams and leadership.

                          Michael Feathers
                        • Aaron Korver
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
                            I would recommend
                            "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
                            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040613/

                            And then afterwards talk about how the team would have improved on Mr. Blandings' experience if they were the ones building it.

                            On Feb 6, 2008 7:49 AM, mfeathers256 <mfeathers@...> wrote:

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tpagliocco@...> wrote:

                            > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while we
                            > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.
                            >
                            > Essentially its a way for the team to have some pizza, kick back, and
                            > get better ideas and foundations as our team grows together and bigger.
                            >
                            > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team, that is
                            > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to learn
                            > more.
                            >
                            > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed any
                            > on other sites.

                            Don't limit yourself to movies about software.

                            If your team watches _Aguirre Wrath of God_ and Sun Ra's: _A Joyful
                            Noise_ back to back, there's a good chance that they'll have an
                            incredible discussion of teams and leadership.

                            Michael Feathers

                          • Steve Ropa
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008

                              That is an excellent suggestion!

                              I would also suggest “12 O’clock High” as a lesson in management.

                              I attended a lecture on “leading from a position of non-strength” and the lecturer played “Gandhi” to great effect.

                              And then afterwards talk about how the team would have improved on Mr. Blandings' experience if they were the ones building it.

                              On Feb 6, 2008 7:49 AM, mfeathers256 <mfeathers@...> wrote:

                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tpagliocco@...> wrote:

                              > So on

                              Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while we
                              > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.
                              >
                              > Essentially its a way for the team to have some pizza, kick back, and
                              > get better ideas and foundations as our team grows together and bigger.
                              >
                              > My question is, what would you recommend for a new scrum team, that is
                              > slowly learning the basics, getting comfortable, but is eager to learn
                              > more.
                              >
                              > I've found some good movies on InfoQ , but not sure if I've missed any
                              > on other sites.

                              Don't limit yourself to movies about software.

                              If your team watches _Aguirre Wrath of God_ and Sun Ra's: _A Joyful
                              Noise_ back to back, there's a good chance that they'll have an
                              incredible discussion of teams and leadership.

                              Michael Feathers

                            • mnbluesguy
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                                Hi,

                                > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while we
                                > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.

                                I would also suggest finding copies of the TV show Junkyard Wars.

                                Each team has a goal. They have a time box to work in. They have
                                limited set of resources. They can be as creative as they want to be
                                to meet the goal.

                                I have also shown a team the movie Zulu which was appropriate for that
                                team. But I would be very reluctant to show that movie again. The
                                team I showed it to was working on a big artillery system, we had one
                                last big push (6 months) and then the part of the project we were
                                working on was going to be handed off to a subcontractor. Everyone on
                                the team would be moved onto other parts of the program.

                                Good luck,
                                David Tannen
                              • tony pagliocco
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                                  This Friday , it's Kill Bill (team selected)

                                  Next Friday, it's Ken's googletechtalk video

                                  mnbluesguy <tannen@...> wrote:
                                  Hi,

                                  > So on Fridays now in my office, I'm treating my team to pizza while we
                                  > catch some webinars on scrum, agile development, etc.

                                  I would also suggest finding copies of the TV show Junkyard Wars.

                                  Each team has a goal. They have a time box to work in. They have
                                  limited set of resources. They can be as creative as they want to be
                                  to meet the goal.

                                  I have also shown a team the movie Zulu which was appropriate for that
                                  team. But I would be very reluctant to show that movie again. The
                                  team I showed it to was working on a big artillery system, we had one
                                  last big push (6 months) and then the part of the project we were
                                  working on was going to be handed off to a subcontractor. Everyone on
                                  the team would be moved onto other parts of the program.

                                  Good luck,
                                  David Tannen

                                  Tony Pagliocco
                                  Development Manager
                                  SheKnows.Com

                                  View Tony Pagliocco's profile on LinkedIn

                                • Doug
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                                    Junkyard Wars is a *very* good TV show and there are a ton of
                                    episodes out there. There are a lot of aspects you can learn from it:

                                    *Swarming
                                    *Team dysfunction/performance
                                    *Analysis paralysis
                                    *Defining "done"
                                    *Cross-functional skills
                                    *Product backlog
                                    *Time constraints

                                    Good stuff all the way around. Some of the challenges and teams are
                                    better than others but overall you can pick an episode and get
                                    something out of it. Entertaining and informative, the way TV should
                                    be methinks.

                                    BTW, Cathy Rogers stated that her inspiration for creating Junkyard
                                    Wars/Scrapheap Challenge was the movie Apollo 13...

                                    Doug Adamavich, CSM