Re: using story points to estimate tasks

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 11:04 PM
      I know this has been heavily discussed but I wanted to throw my 2
      cents in as well. On our team, we are still learning the basis of
      formulating story points for our *stories* heh, estimating our tasks
      is basically boiled down to making sure each task is held under a
      day.

      I see the importance of being able to develop proper story points to
      gauge an idea of a long term plan but for tasks, at least in our
      case, we like to have hour estimates because it keeps everyone in
      the proper mindset that they want to see the blue bars go down and
      the green bars go up.

      Just having our burn-down, burn-up charts in our team room provided
      the team with a way of , keeping focused on our new process and not
      let any old habits or mentality slip back in.

      While still new, I think we are learning slowly.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Mayer"
      <tobyanon@...> wrote:

      > I recently heard that some CSM trainers are recommending that
      teams use
      > story points to estimate the size of tasks. This baffles me. I
      think
      > they are called story points for a reason: they are used to
      measure the
      > relative size of stories.
      >
      > I don't encourage teams to estimate task size at all except to
      ensure
      > that a task is small enough to move from "In Progress" to "Done"
      in a
      > single day, but I understand that some teams successfully use real
      time
      > (i.e. hours) to estimate task size. I think it is an unnecessary,
      > perhaps even wasteful practice, but at least it makes sense.
      >
      > I can't make sense of the idea of sizing tasks in story points.
      Should
      > all the task-story-points add up to the total size of the story?
      What
      > if you add a new task later on? I'd be very interested in
      hearing how
      > this system works, how it helps. My instinct is to dismiss it...
      but I
      > have made that mistake before (!) so now I seek enlightenment.
      Anyone?