Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum checklist

  • tony pagliocco
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      As a new member to the scrum process, I downloaded this checklist tonight and compared to my notes from my teams first sprint.  I highly believe that a chart like this would have helped me during my first sprint because of the guidelines that are laid out, it takes the whole and lets you focus on each piece sectionally.

      I believe that the best progress comes from diving heads in and learning from your early mistakes, but also being able to make sure that the proper processes are being followed becuase just in this first sprint I was able to find myself having shorter, more productive meetings becuase we were focusing on the sprint backlog and not allowing outside members to throw stuff on top of the pile without making sure they knew that if they wanted item A done, then we'd have to remove item X from the list.

      In this short time I've learned that if your boss has to make a decision about getting A at the expense of losing B, he then begins to really look at the true value of item A.

      I'll be posting this chart on my whiteboard for sprint 2 , thanks!

      Tony Pagliocco
      Development Manager
      SheKnows.Com

      View Tony Pagliocco's profile on LinkedIn

    • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
        Tony this is a very good attitude toward checklists and the like - they make great tools for retrospective comparison. I encourage teams to do this AFTER they have. Done the basics. Why?
        Agile and Scrum are all about inspect and adapt not follow the leader. All too often checklists become codified and quickly the touchstone for any changes suggested. By having your teams take their best shot they use the checklist as part of the inspect an adapt process and take what is valuable and leaving the rest.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[...]

        SheKnows.Com <http://www.sheknows.com>
        <http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonypagliocco>

        ----------------
        Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ >
      • Hank Roark
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
          At the risk of getting stoned, I thought this group might like this article from _The New Yorker_ on checklists:  http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12/10/071210fa_fact_gawande

          I view checklist as the lean folks do standard work, a basis for improvement.

          Enjoy the article, it is well worth the read IMHO.

          -- Hank

          On Jan 31, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Henrik Kniberg wrote:

          Hi everyone!

          I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
          issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when coaching!
          Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
          http://blog. crisp.se/ henrikkniberg/ 2008/02/01/ 1201823760000. html

          Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
          for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
          likely to get many things wrong.

          /Henrik

          --
          Henrik Kniberg
          http://www.crisp. se

          __._,_.
        • stig.efsen
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
            Hi Henrik,

            Great list - overview and yet fairly detailed. I'll try it out next
            week when I start implementing Scrum in a company in Denmark.
            I'm sure that this list could be a nice 'tool' to bring home from CSM
            classes as well.

            Cheers
            /Stig

            ---