Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum checklist

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      Michael James wrote:
      > Me too! Me too!
      >
      > http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/qh5zug
      >
      > Maybe we should make a checklist of checklists.

      Done. http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/biblio/AgileChecklists Feel free to
      add and correct.

      - George

    • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        Mike
        We need some Vogon humor on this subject. Pigs and chickens and critters that have the ability to faintly resemble a great number of agile speakers just doesn't cut it.

        Let's face it PMI is getting so "big tent" there is almost nothing to rail against these days - there is also very little that is new. The scrum boards seem to be a refuge for all the PM's looking for cookie cutter answers and the next thing we will be hearing is pdu credits for becoming a practitioner. So Mikie its up to you and the guy with crayolas. May the farce be with you
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          As a new member to the scrum process, I downloaded this checklist tonight and compared to my notes from my teams first sprint.  I highly believe that a chart like this would have helped me during my first sprint because of the guidelines that are laid out, it takes the whole and lets you focus on each piece sectionally.

          I believe that the best progress comes from diving heads in and learning from your early mistakes, but also being able to make sure that the proper processes are being followed becuase just in this first sprint I was able to find myself having shorter, more productive meetings becuase we were focusing on the sprint backlog and not allowing outside members to throw stuff on top of the pile without making sure they knew that if they wanted item A done, then we'd have to remove item X from the list.

          In this short time I've learned that if your boss has to make a decision about getting A at the expense of losing B, he then begins to really look at the true value of item A.

          I'll be posting this chart on my whiteboard for sprint 2 , thanks!

          Tony Pagliocco
          Development Manager
          SheKnows.Com

          View Tony Pagliocco's profile on LinkedIn

        • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
            Tony this is a very good attitude toward checklists and the like - they make great tools for retrospective comparison. I encourage teams to do this AFTER they have. Done the basics. Why?
            Agile and Scrum are all about inspect and adapt not follow the leader. All too often checklists become codified and quickly the touchstone for any changes suggested. By having your teams take their best shot they use the checklist as part of the inspect an adapt process and take what is valuable and leaving the rest.

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[...]

            SheKnows.Com <http://www.sheknows.com>
            <http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonypagliocco>

            ----------------
            Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ >
          • Hank Roark
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
              At the risk of getting stoned, I thought this group might like this article from _The New Yorker_ on checklists:  http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12/10/071210fa_fact_gawande

              I view checklist as the lean folks do standard work, a basis for improvement.

              Enjoy the article, it is well worth the read IMHO.

              -- Hank

              --
              Henrik Kniberg
              http://www.crisp. se

              __._,_.
            • stig.efsen
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
                Hi Henrik,

                Great list - overview and yet fairly detailed. I'll try it out next
                week when I start implementing Scrum in a company in Denmark.
                I'm sure that this list could be a nice 'tool' to bring home from CSM
                classes as well.

                Cheers
                /Stig

                ---