Re: Release Date Projection

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 1:44 AM
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "bmwpapa" <bmwpapa@...> wrote:

      > I have two questions related to Release Date Projection:
      > 1. What Scrum s/w features Mike Cohn's "Alternate Release Burndown"?
      > 2. How have you successfully projected release dates/ranges in Scrum?

      I was waiting to see who else would respond.

      I have seen people plan and execute releases successfully using
      ScrumWorks to draw/update the Mike Cohn converging release
      burndown charts along the way. "Successfully" here means they
      shipped a tested product on time and gained an increasingly
      clear idea what would be in the actual release by extrapolating
      from the past.

      One could do something similar by manually drawing a line
      in the Product Backlog representing how much work would
      get done by the release date based on past velocity. But
      this is too optimistic; it doesn't take the rate of
      scope increase into account like the Cohn chart, or the
      "burnup" variations that show both scope change and
      velocity.

      --mj (disclaimer: some of my code is probably still in ScrumWorks)
    • Michael James
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 1:58 AM
        (addendum)

        I also saw an online shopping company use these measurements
        to realize they would not get their full-blown website replacement
        done in time for the Christmas shopping season. They were
        able to detect this months beforehand and make strategic
        business decisions.

        What would have happened otherwise? Probably the "belief in
        magic" right up to the point the site falls over the day after
        Thanksgiving.

        --mj