Re: Scrum checklist

  • Andreas Thiel
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi Henrik,

      cool stuff, thank you for this.

      In the PBL section I'd include "Stories show the INVEST properties".

      Additional subject candidates could be:
      - Release Plan / Roadmap
      - Risk list (although not core Scrum)
      - some rules of thumb regarding story & task sizes (one order of
      magnitude for current sprint, max 10% of iteration length, ...)

      Regards,
      Andreas

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Kniberg" <h@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone!
      >
      > I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
      > issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when coaching!
      > Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
      > http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/02/01/1201823760000.html
      >
      > Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
      > for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
      > likely to get many things wrong.
      >
      > /Henrik
      >
      > --
      > Henrik Kniberg
      > http://www.crisp.se
      > +46 (0)70 492 5284

    • kswaters1
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        Here is another, based on a Scrum/XP blend...

        http://kw-agiledevelopment.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-agile-are-you-
        take-this-42-point.html

        This checklist was written to assess how far multiple teams had got
        in their adoption of the Scrum/XP practices we wanted to see in use
        across my development department of about 90 people. Of course it
        won't suit everyone but...

        Kelly Waters
        www.allaboutagile.com

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Thiel"
        <andreas.thiel@...> wrote:

        > Hi Henrik,
        >
        > cool stuff, thank you for this.
        >
        > In the PBL section I'd include "Stories show the INVEST properties".
        >
        > Additional subject candidates could be:
        > - Release Plan / Roadmap
        > - Risk list (although not core Scrum)
        > - some rules of thumb regarding story & task sizes (one order of
        > magnitude for current sprint, max 10% of iteration length, ...)
        >
        > Regards,
        > Andreas
        >

        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Kniberg" <h@...>
        wrote:

        > > Hi everyone!
        > >
        > > I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
        > > issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when
        coaching!
        > > Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
        > > http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/02/01/1201823760000.html
        > >
        > > Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target
        group
        > > for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
        > > likely to get many things wrong.
        > >
        > > /Henrik
        > >
        > > --
        > > Henrik Kniberg
        > > http://www.crisp.se
        > > +46 (0)70 492 5284

      • Michael James
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          Me too! Me too!

          http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/qh5zug

          Maybe we should make a checklist of checklists.

          --mj (making a list, checking it twice...)
        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
            Michael James wrote:
            > Me too! Me too!
            >
            > http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/qh5zug
            >
            > Maybe we should make a checklist of checklists.

            Done. http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/biblio/AgileChecklists Feel free to
            add and correct.

            - George

          • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
              Mike
              We need some Vogon humor on this subject. Pigs and chickens and critters that have the ability to faintly resemble a great number of agile speakers just doesn't cut it.

              Let's face it PMI is getting so "big tent" there is almost nothing to rail against these days - there is also very little that is new. The scrum boards seem to be a refuge for all the PM's looking for cookie cutter answers and the next thing we will be hearing is pdu credits for becoming a practitioner. So Mikie its up to you and the guy with crayolas. May the farce be with you
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                As a new member to the scrum process, I downloaded this checklist tonight and compared to my notes from my teams first sprint.  I highly believe that a chart like this would have helped me during my first sprint because of the guidelines that are laid out, it takes the whole and lets you focus on each piece sectionally.

                I believe that the best progress comes from diving heads in and learning from your early mistakes, but also being able to make sure that the proper processes are being followed becuase just in this first sprint I was able to find myself having shorter, more productive meetings becuase we were focusing on the sprint backlog and not allowing outside members to throw stuff on top of the pile without making sure they knew that if they wanted item A done, then we'd have to remove item X from the list.

                In this short time I've learned that if your boss has to make a decision about getting A at the expense of losing B, he then begins to really look at the true value of item A.

                I'll be posting this chart on my whiteboard for sprint 2 , thanks!

                Tony Pagliocco
                Development Manager
                SheKnows.Com

                View Tony Pagliocco's profile on LinkedIn

              • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Tony this is a very good attitude toward checklists and the like - they make great tools for retrospective comparison. I encourage teams to do this AFTER they have. Done the basics. Why?
                  Agile and Scrum are all about inspect and adapt not follow the leader. All too often checklists become codified and quickly the touchstone for any changes suggested. By having your teams take their best shot they use the checklist as part of the inspect an adapt process and take what is valuable and leaving the rest.

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[...]

                  SheKnows.Com <http://www.sheknows.com>
                  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonypagliocco>

                  ----------------
                  Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ >
                • Hank Roark
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
                    At the risk of getting stoned, I thought this group might like this article from _The New Yorker_ on checklists:  http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12/10/071210fa_fact_gawande

                    I view checklist as the lean folks do standard work, a basis for improvement.

                    Enjoy the article, it is well worth the read IMHO.

                    -- Hank

                    On Jan 31, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Henrik Kniberg wrote:

                    Hi everyone!

                    I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
                    issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when coaching!
                    Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
                    http://blog. crisp.se/ henrikkniberg/ 2008/02/01/ 1201823760000. html

                    Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
                    for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
                    likely to get many things wrong.

                    /Henrik

                    --
                    Henrik Kniberg
                    http://www.crisp. se
                    +46 (0)70 492 5284

                    __._,_.
                  • stig.efsen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
                      Hi Henrik,

                      Great list - overview and yet fairly detailed. I'll try it out next
                      week when I start implementing Scrum in a company in Denmark.
                      I'm sure that this list could be a nice 'tool' to bring home from CSM
                      classes as well.

                      Cheers
                      /Stig

                      ---