Scrum checklist

  • Henrik Kniberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi everyone!

      I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
      issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when coaching!
      Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
      http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/02/01/1201823760000.html

      Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
      for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
      likely to get many things wrong.

      /Henrik

      --
      Henrik Kniberg
      http://www.crisp.se
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
        Hi all.

        With all these "tests" and "checklists" flying around this list lately.... I do want to recommend you go back and take a look at one of the most popular comic strips on the site...

        Why do you think this is ?

        Thank you,

        - Mike Vizdos

        On Jan 31, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Henrik Kniberg wrote:

        Hi everyone!

        I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
        issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when coaching!
        Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
        http://blog. crisp.se/ henrikkniberg/ 2008/02/01/ 1201823760000. html

        Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
        for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
        likely to get many things wrong.

        /Henrik

        --
        Henrik Kniberg
        http://www.crisp. se
        +46 (0)70 492 5284

      • Andreas Thiel
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hi Henrik,

          cool stuff, thank you for this.

          In the PBL section I'd include "Stories show the INVEST properties".

          Additional subject candidates could be:
          - Release Plan / Roadmap
          - Risk list (although not core Scrum)
          - some rules of thumb regarding story & task sizes (one order of
          magnitude for current sprint, max 10% of iteration length, ...)

          Regards,
          Andreas

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Kniberg" <h@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone!
          >
          > I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
          > issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when coaching!
          > Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
          > http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/02/01/1201823760000.html
          >
          > Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
          > for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
          > likely to get many things wrong.
          >
          > /Henrik
          >
          > --
          > Henrik Kniberg
          > http://www.crisp.se
          > +46 (0)70 492 5284

        • kswaters1
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
            Here is another, based on a Scrum/XP blend...

            http://kw-agiledevelopment.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-agile-are-you-
            take-this-42-point.html

            This checklist was written to assess how far multiple teams had got
            in their adoption of the Scrum/XP practices we wanted to see in use
            across my development department of about 90 people. Of course it
            won't suit everyone but...

            Kelly Waters
            www.allaboutagile.com

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Thiel"
            <andreas.thiel@...> wrote:

            > Hi Henrik,
            >
            > cool stuff, thank you for this.
            >
            > In the PBL section I'd include "Stories show the INVEST properties".
            >
            > Additional subject candidates could be:
            > - Release Plan / Roadmap
            > - Risk list (although not core Scrum)
            > - some rules of thumb regarding story & task sizes (one order of
            > magnitude for current sprint, max 10% of iteration length, ...)
            >
            > Regards,
            > Andreas
            >

            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Kniberg" <h@...>
            wrote:

            > > Hi everyone!
            > >
            > > I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
            > > issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when
            coaching!
            > > Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
            > > http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/02/01/1201823760000.html
            > >
            > > Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target
            group
            > > for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
            > > likely to get many things wrong.
            > >
            > > /Henrik
            > >
            > > --
            > > Henrik Kniberg
            > > http://www.crisp.se
            > > +46 (0)70 492 5284

          • Michael James
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
              Me too! Me too!

              http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/qh5zug

              Maybe we should make a checklist of checklists.

              --mj (making a list, checking it twice...)
            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                Michael James wrote:
                > Me too! Me too!
                >
                > http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/qh5zug
                >
                > Maybe we should make a checklist of checklists.

                Done. http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/biblio/AgileChecklists Feel free to
                add and correct.

                - George

              • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Mike
                  We need some Vogon humor on this subject. Pigs and chickens and critters that have the ability to faintly resemble a great number of agile speakers just doesn't cut it.

                  Let's face it PMI is getting so "big tent" there is almost nothing to rail against these days - there is also very little that is new. The scrum boards seem to be a refuge for all the PM's looking for cookie cutter answers and the next thing we will be hearing is pdu credits for becoming a practitioner. So Mikie its up to you and the guy with crayolas. May the farce be with you
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  With all these "tests" and "checklists" flying around this list lately.... I do want to recommend you go back and take a look at one of the most popular comic strips on the site...

                  http://www.implemen <http://www.implementingscrum.com/blog/2006/09/25/scrum-the-silver-bullet-not/> tingscrum.com/blog/2006/09/25/scrum-the-silver-bullet-not/

                  Why do you think this is ?

                  Thank you,

                  - Mike Vizdos
                     www.michaelvizdos. <http://www.michaelvizdos.com> com
                     www.implementingscr <http://www.implementingscrum.com> um.com

                  http://blog. <http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/02/01/1201823760000.html> crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/02/01/1201823760000.html

                  Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
                  for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
                  likely to get many things wrong.

                  /Henrik

                  --
                  Henrik Kniberg
                  http://www.crisp. <http://www.crisp.se> se
                  +46 (0)70 492 5284
                • tony pagliocco
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                    As a new member to the scrum process, I downloaded this checklist tonight and compared to my notes from my teams first sprint.  I highly believe that a chart like this would have helped me during my first sprint because of the guidelines that are laid out, it takes the whole and lets you focus on each piece sectionally.

                    I believe that the best progress comes from diving heads in and learning from your early mistakes, but also being able to make sure that the proper processes are being followed becuase just in this first sprint I was able to find myself having shorter, more productive meetings becuase we were focusing on the sprint backlog and not allowing outside members to throw stuff on top of the pile without making sure they knew that if they wanted item A done, then we'd have to remove item X from the list.

                    In this short time I've learned that if your boss has to make a decision about getting A at the expense of losing B, he then begins to really look at the true value of item A.

                    I'll be posting this chart on my whiteboard for sprint 2 , thanks!

                    Tony Pagliocco
                    Development Manager
                    SheKnows.Com

                    View Tony Pagliocco's profile on LinkedIn

                  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Tony this is a very good attitude toward checklists and the like - they make great tools for retrospective comparison. I encourage teams to do this AFTER they have. Done the basics. Why?
                      Agile and Scrum are all about inspect and adapt not follow the leader. All too often checklists become codified and quickly the touchstone for any changes suggested. By having your teams take their best shot they use the checklist as part of the inspect an adapt process and take what is valuable and leaving the rest.

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[...]

                      SheKnows.Com <http://www.sheknows.com>
                      <http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonypagliocco>

                      ----------------
                      Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ >
                    • Hank Roark
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
                        At the risk of getting stoned, I thought this group might like this article from _The New Yorker_ on checklists:  http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12/10/071210fa_fact_gawande

                        I view checklist as the lean folks do standard work, a basis for improvement.

                        Enjoy the article, it is well worth the read IMHO.

                        -- Hank

                        On Jan 31, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Henrik Kniberg wrote:

                        Hi everyone!

                        I know that checklists and scrum "rules" are a slightly sensitive
                        issue, but this one has actually served me quite well when coaching!
                        Sort of like an extension to the Nokia checklist.
                        http://blog. crisp.se/ henrikkniberg/ 2008/02/01/ 1201823760000. html

                        Any feedback from this forum would be valuable. The main target group
                        for this checklist are teams that are relatively new to Scrum and
                        likely to get many things wrong.

                        /Henrik

                        --
                        Henrik Kniberg
                        http://www.crisp. se
                        +46 (0)70 492 5284

                        __._,_.
                      • stig.efsen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
                          Hi Henrik,

                          Great list - overview and yet fairly detailed. I'll try it out next
                          week when I start implementing Scrum in a company in Denmark.
                          I'm sure that this list could be a nice 'tool' to bring home from CSM
                          classes as well.

                          Cheers
                          /Stig

                          ---