RE: [scrumdevelopment] manager's role in Scrum

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2008
      A good point made here, about getting a lot of credit for increased productivity and quality.

      It seemed to me for many years that IT managers got their jollies by throwing their weight around and saying NO on a consistent basis to clients. Saying NO seemed to give them some sort of an authority and power thing.

      But I got my jollies by having clients specifically ask for me to assist in developing their systems, and having user area managers praise my efforts. I got a lot of satisfaction by making changes quickly to clients, and astonishing them and delighting them that their ideas and requests were implemented without an argument and without fuss. For some reason I found it much more fun, much more enjoyable, much more satisfying to have clients express happy thoughts about my efforts, rather than call me an uncooperative dickhead and despise me.

      I was always aware of, and hated it, the adversarial attitude between IT people and user folk. The IT people thought users were idiots "Oh My God, those idiots have just asked for another change ... Can't they make up their minds what they want?" and the view of IT people by users "God, what a shower of ignoramuses!!  They can't even make a small change to my system ... and they can't even speak English!!! Always some stupid jargon that normal people can't understand"

      That is why I am so enthusiastic about the agile approach ... client satisfaction, team confidence, IT-User cooperation and even genuine goodwill and liking. Not to mention success and use satisfaction with outcomes.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: theropas2@...
      Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:07:31 -0700
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] manager's role in Scrum

      These are some really great points.  I went through that transition as well.  I don’t necessarily have any articles or books to add to the excellent lists already provided, but here are some thoughts that helped me get through the Big Transition:

      1.        Many dev managers started as programmers who moved to management at some point.  Some of the transition required at that time (less coding, giving the really sexy stuff to someone else) is similar in spirit to moving from traditional dev manager to Agile dev manager.

      2.       In my belief, the true reward of being a manager is in helping others succeed.  Agile is a great way to do that.  Being able to step aside and watch them grow and succeed is extremely cool.

      3.       Look into the concept of Servant Leadership.  Highly rewarding and it fits the new role of a manager in Scrum very well.  Your job is to remove obstacles.

      4.       On a selfish front, once you get into the new way, you will get a LOT of credit from the upper levels for the increased productivity and quality.

      5.       Be VERY CAREFUL about choosing to be a scrum master as well as manager.  I’ve done it both ways, and in retrospect I think I would have served my team better by having a separate scrum master.

      Cheers,

      Steve