Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Blog on the Discipline Of Delivery, Practice Of Perfection

  • Robin Dymond
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2008
      Thanks Jonathan. While I wont belabor the point, here are some of the real life comments that reflect the challenge of maintaining Agile and continuous improvement in an organization. ALL of these comments are from large organizations doing Agile in an major way for 3-5 years. You may recognize some of them?

      • At the team level - during a retrospective one team member asked "Why do we need to improve again? Maybe we just need to be good enough."
      • At the HR level for PM/ScrumMasters  "They were excited about my PMP background, but when I told them I wanted to work on Agile projects, they started downplaying the role and their body language was negative."
      • At the portfolio level - "We have PMs do the estimates, then the agile teams do the estimates, then we run those estimates through montecarlo simulations to determine 95% confidence level in our estimates. That way we know how long the project will take and how much it will cost prior to starting the project."
      • At the organizational level - "We no longer need an Agile program office, the community can do that work." At the same time the business plows funding into the PMO and Agile project starts are in decline.
      Part of these problems stem from not having clear, simple, and compelling metric that the whole organization is measured against and that people are personally held accountable for at their level. This is in part why I am writing about the business case for Lean and Agile transition, and how clear visible and concrete metrics drive behavior far after the honeymoon is over and the hard work is left.

      I turned comments off because of the heavy spamming. I have turned registration and comments back on, love to have your feedback.

      On Jan 27, 2008 1:26 AM, Jonathan Rasmusson <rasmus4200@...> wrote:

      Great post Robin. Sounds like you have a good story to share.
      I wanted to leave a comment on your blog but couldn't login (wasn't
      sure if that was by design).

      Agree with everything you said however.

      Most days I feel barely competent and we are all still learning.
      Thank you for the reminder.

      Cheers - Jonathan

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Dymond"

      --