Re: HELP! Communicating dates to customers: Arming Sales Reps with

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2008
      There's a subtext in these answers that sometimes get forgotten by overzealous starting agile/scrum teams.
      Namely, there actually /is/ a road map with dates. Scrum/agile is not supposed to mean "I can't give you a date", although some starting agile teams misinform their consumers and sponsors and pretend they can't give a release date.

      Make sure there really is a release plan.

      <<
      > Our sales reps are asking the scrum teams for a better method
      because
      > they are saying the customers need to be told something or have
      some
      > kind of idea as to when they will get it.

      Give them the best date you have. You do have a product road map and
      release schedule don't you?

      Alistair Cockburn, Humans and Technology, Inc.
      801.582.3162     1814 Ft Douglas Cir,  Salt Lake City, UT 84103
      http://alistair.cockburn.us/   | acockburn@...

      The first thing to build is trust. --Brad Appleton

    • Eric Deslauriers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008
        Amen!

        We have to put ourselves in our customers' shoes. How would we feel if we were the customer and depending on the solution from a team/company and they came back with "Well, we're not sure, but it'll be great!!!"

        How much are you personally willing to bank, and pay for, insecurity and vagueness in any aspect of your life, much less the one that pays your mortgage? ;-)

        Eric D

        On 1/23/08, acockburn@... <acockburn@...> wrote:
        There's a subtext in these answers that sometimes get forgotten by overzealous starting agile/scrum teams.
        Namely, there actually /is/ a road map with dates. Scrum/agile is not supposed to mean "I can't give you a date", although some starting agile teams misinform their consumers and sponsors and pretend they can't give a release date.

        Make sure there really is a release plan.

        <<
        > Our sales reps are asking the scrum teams for a better method because
        > they are saying the customers need to be told something or have some
        > kind of idea as to when they will get it.

        Give them the best date you have. You do have a product road map and
        release schedule don't you?

        Alistair Cockburn, Humans and Technology, Inc.
        801.582.3162     1814 Ft Douglas Cir,  Salt Lake City, UT 84103
        http://alistair.cockburn.us/   | acockburn@...

        The first thing to build is trust. --Brad Appleton

        Eric D
        04 R1100S
        06 Husqvarna TE610
      • Roy Morien
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008
          and Amen again!!  But also keep the lines of communication open with the clients. I believe an informed client is a satisfied client, unless, of course, the promises made early are proving to be so wild and out of whack that we have worn out the client's patience.

          And of course, the whole thinking in Scrum that you develop the features with the most business value goers a long way towards allowing you to deliver some good and useful stuff by 'the date', even if it is not the whole promised packaged. And if you have kept those lines of communication open, then there are no surprises even about that.

          Regards,
          Roy Morien

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: eric.deslauriers@...
          Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:30:21 -0800
          Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: HELP! Communicating dates to customers: Arming Sales Reps with

          http://alistair. cockburn. us/   | acockburn@aol. com

          The first thing to build is trust. --Brad Appleton

          Eric D
          04 R1100S
          06 Husqvarna TE610

          Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.