Changing peoples minds ...

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22 2:26 PM
      Based on the recent comments in ComputerWorld and elsewhere I think we have
      moved forward on the multistage acceptance process with respect to agile
      approaches.

      1. It's impossible and will never work

      Five years ago, when I presented SCRUM at ObjectWorld and elsewhere,
      occassionally people would run screaming from the room (this is not a joke)
      and I would often get confronted by people who said it was totally out of
      the question and would never be implemented in their operation while they
      were alive.

      2. It may be possible but it will never work at my site.

      This has been the general theme until recently, when the Agile Manifesto has
      stirred the pot in a big way.

      3. We are already doing it so we don't have to change.

      First RUP said this, now everyone is saying it.

      4. We tried it and it didn't work.

      We can expect to hear a lot of this next.

      5. I don't like it but I will not survive without doing it. These agile guys
      have really caused a lot of trouble.

      This is a ways off.

      6. It's not only better, it's fun!

      It takes 15-20 years to get the majority of people there and we are about 5
      years into this change. Of course, the true believers (like myself) have
      been saying this for years.

      Jeff Sutherland