Transitioning from traditional control [was: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Daily Sc

  • mnbluesguy
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
      Allen,

      You have asked a really good set of questions. I think you have
      received some good suggestions. I would like to give you one that we
      have used to draw people into the Scrum and Agile (including myself ;-).

      As has been mentioned, sometimes people are 'gun shy' about jumping in
      with their ideas. In the past they may have made suggestions or
      presented ideas only to be shut down by someone in authority (or even
      by their peers). If this is true for the members of your team(s) you
      might want to consider the following idea.

      We often have people write their ideas on sticky notes or cards. So
      they can write down their ideas for tasks. Then you could collect
      them up and read each one off one at a time and put them on a white
      board. Clump the similar ones together. Then you can ask does that
      look like a good set of tasks for this story. If they say yes you can
      move on. If not then ask what is missing or should be removed. Give
      them a chance to talk and decide what to do.

      Over time everyone will trust each other and realize that "quality" at
      this point is doing your best to identify the work that needs to be
      done. It is unlikely you will get every task correct. But that is
      less important than getting everyone thinking about what needs to be
      done in small chunks.

      David Tannen (tannen@...)