retrospective to kick off Scrum roll-out

  • Alexey Krivitsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
      Happy New Year, all !

      Has any one tried (or not tried for a reason) to kick off Scrum adoption with a retrospective session, provided that the project is an ongoing effort and has followed a non-agile process?

      I am about to help one project adopt Scrum and have an intention to run a retrospective after a Scrum intro. The goal of the retrospective would be to facilitate the team to figure out the main differences in the current team's process versus Scrum. Then prioritize the list and build an action plan for Scrum roll-out where the team is committed and is driving the adoption.

      Thanks for any inputs and ideas.

      --
      Alexey Krivitsky,
      Coordinator of AgileUkraine.org

    • Sarath Kummamuru
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi Alexey,
             That would be a jolly good idea. For most of the teams that I coach, after doing a basic scrum training, I do get the teams to sit together in a retrospective and discuss what they do and what they donot do that match the Scrum practices that we discussed and what will work and what they feel will not.

             Then we get the team to draw the Team Ground rules based on this discussion. Many teams might avoid a few of the practices to start with based on what they discussed. They say (ok may be pair programming is not so critical, lets look at it on a need basis), (I donot think we need a task board and all we donot have space, we can make do with an excel sheet, we found some excel sheets for all this stuff online, lets use that).

            So we do this activity, go with what ground rules the team is comfortable with, I as a coach do participate in the retrospective just as  team member and say we should try to do these, so on and so forth.

             Most cases these things do help and set a platform for scrum adoption. So go ahead and do it, Do also post back experiences :-)

        Sarath.

        On Jan 1, 2008 12:55 PM, Alexey Krivitsky < alexeykrivitsky@...> wrote:

        Happy New Year, all !

        Has any one tried (or not tried for a reason) to kick off Scrum adoption with a retrospective session, provided that the project is an ongoing effort and has followed a non-agile process?

        I am about to help one project adopt Scrum and have an intention to run a retrospective after a Scrum intro. The goal of the retrospective would be to facilitate the team to figure out the main differences in the current team's process versus Scrum. Then prioritize the list and build an action plan for Scrum roll-out where the team is committed and is driving the adoption.

        Thanks for any inputs and ideas.

        --
        Alexey Krivitsky,
        Coordinator of AgileUkraine.org
        Scrum coach at ScrumGuides.com
        Phone: +380 50 358 92 12
        Skype: alexeykrv

      • Mike Sutton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
          Hi Alexey (and happy new year!),

          this is a really great idea because:

          a) it focuses everyone's attention on the experiences of the 'old way' - and provides an
          opportunity to knowingly learn (both good and bad stuff) from that process.
          b) if you remind people that the retrospective itself is a fundamental part of Scrum and
          that you will be doing one at the end of every sprint - it reinforces that Scrum is a
          feedback and inspection based approach.

          I did one at a client about a year ago and it really helped to identify expectations and
          reservations pretty early on. We included everyone in a series of retrospectives - (the
          architects, testers, business etc) and did a retro from the viewpoint of each of those
          groups (how the old way worked for testers for example).

          My advice would be:

          have a tape recorder or video the sessions - you don't want to miss anything from these
          sessions. Not as a tool for blame, simply to ensure you capture everything in context for
          reference.

          try to keep the discussion focused - be a faciltator and do not lead the discussion -
          people will want to get a lot of stuff off their chests (concerns, grievances, suggestions),
          but you also want to make sure you don't lose the focus of the retrospective.

          good luck!

          mike
          csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Alexey Krivitsky" <alexeykrivitsky@...>
          wrote:

          > Happy New Year, all !
          >
          > Has any one tried (or not tried for a reason) to kick off Scrum adoption
          > with a retrospective session, provided that the project is an ongoing effort
          > and has followed a non-agile process?
          >
          > I am about to help one project adopt Scrum and have an intention to run a
          > retrospective after a Scrum intro. The goal of the retrospective would be to
          > facilitate the team to figure out the main differences in the current team's
          > process versus Scrum. Then prioritize the list and build an action plan for
          > Scrum roll-out where the team is committed and is driving the adoption.
          >
          > Thanks for any inputs and ideas.
          >
          > --
          > Alexey Krivitsky,
          > Coordinator of AgileUkraine.org
          > Scrum coach at ScrumGuides.com
          > Phone: +380 50 358 92 12
          > Skype: alexeykrv

        • gregor dodson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
            Alexey

            I've done something similar, where we implemented half-assed scrum
            for a month or so and it all fell apart, but there was still interest
            in doing it correctly. So we had a retrospective on the first effort,
            and it covered the state of the development team and projects in
            general. It was very useful since it gave us a baseline to compare
            the first post-sprint retrospective with.

            It will also give you, as the scrum master, an opportunity to sell
            scrum, and to figure out how likely each of the team members is to
            play nicely, or not.

            So I say definitely go for it!

            Good luck!
            Gregor