FW: Daily Scrum Notes

  • rminer151@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2007
      Scrum Users

      Mike Dwyer wrote
      "First, I have a lot of positive and negative associations with daily meeting
      notes. On the plus side they are critical for teams that are distributed,
      particularly if you are more than 50 feet away. On the negative side they
      tend to be viewed as part of the 'me boss - you peon' mindset. But most of
      all they allow the team to fend off the most frequent interruption they get
      - the dreaded "How's it going?" question followed quickly by, can ya fit
      this little tiny itsie bitsie mod in for me. Post the notes so that the
      question askers can be easily steered to it and then to the ScrumMaster. So
      all in all notes serve teams well. Now the question is who should take
      them."

      As a scrummaster for a distributed development team (5 team members plus the scrum master in one location with 3 team members plus the product owner  and stakeholders in the other location) one of the key challenges that we face is communication. Since giant sheets of paper do not work well for distributed teams we use tools for generating the sprint burn down charts (Xplanner). In order to increase visibility I generate the sprint burn down chart and send it out daily in an e-mail to the interested stakeholders who are used to walking by the team alleyways (we don't have enough conference rooms for teams to have their own team room - so we have taken over the hallways and where ever there is space to post information radiators). I have found it useful to include Daily Scrum notes -often during the Daily Scrum someone will bring up something that they are working on that is slowing them down that someone else has an immediate solution for. By capturing the solution in the notes - I make sure that this information is documented for the team. Often the converstation goes like - I don't know how to... and someone says - there is a document on the wiki.... In the notes I include the actual link - since we have a large wiki and searching for specific content can be challenging.

      The problems with notes is that are not as a rich a communication mechanism as speech and you can lose the nuances of the converstation.