Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile workplace - best configuration?

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
      James has the most healthy approach I think.

      I've read and believe through experience, that teams communicate best when co-located in the same room.  This room has the burndown chart and other information radiators very visible.  They have access to white boards and other easy-to-use collaboration tools.  There is access to a conference room (to do planning meetings), and some private cubes or offices where pair programming or breakout working groups can meet.

      Teams can monitor their use of the private areas, as well as establish rules about the common room.  Many teams will have "no meetings" time between 3pm and 5pm, to give folks a quite environment in the common room to wrap up their days work.  You can also use traffic cones to establish "cones of silence" where folks are not to bother or talk loudly near those who have cones out on their desk.

      There are lots of clever things you can do - I'd present all the ideas you can to the team and let them decide how they best enjoy working together.  (The keyword is "together").  Forcing teams to co-locate that are really dead-set against it can do more harm that good.  You need to feel out for yourself how much resistance there is.  Almost everyone initially resists the idea, unless they've had that experience before.  So don't dismiss it at face value -- but I have seen some teams really fight it.  There's no good done if the team keeps referring to "not having privacy" or "not being able to think with distractions" as to why work isn't getting done.  This is where the side-rooms (or cubes) come in to ease the privacy concerns.

      Nicholas

      On Dec 3, 2007, at 8:35 AM, Steve Povilaitis wrote:

      Folks,

      I apologize for being slightly off-topic, but I would like your thoughts
      regarding what you feel is the optimum configuration for an agile
      workplace. I've heard conflicting views on what is best. For example, Joel
      Spolsky, of Joel on Software, states that every developer should have
      their own office. Yet other folks recommend that work teams be co-located
      within a single room or area with no walls between desks, to facilitate
      better collaboration. In my current environment, we have all of the
      developers for our team share one area - no cubes or separate offices -
      which is great for collaboration since a lot of impromptu pair programming
      and design goes on. Yet at times I know our folks need a place free of
      distractions to get in the 'zone' and bang out some code. How do you
      support both? If you could design the perfect agile office floorplan what
      would it look like?

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      ---
      Nicholas Cancelliere
      Austin, TX

    • James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
        I think team rooms are crucial to foster the kind of
        hypercollaboration that agile methods require. That being said people
        do need their own space from time to time. Our current configuration
        is that each team has everything setup in a single room with cubicle
        furniture dismantled so that everyone is working in a circle with
        white boards around the perimeter. In addition most developers have
        their own office which they share with one or 2 people. In general
        team members don't spend much time in their offices except Scrum
        Masters. In addition we have a large conference room converted into a
        "play room" with comfy couches a big flat screen TV Xbox etc.
      • Nicholas Cancelliere
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007

          It's really great if the team is able to choose their environment, or if the company is willing to pay for the costs of reconfiguring the environment.

          Some teams are stuck with what they have (either do to lack of resources, politics, or whatever).  It really needs to fall upon the creativity of the team to figure out ways to best use the space their in to be highly collaborative.  The ScrumMaster then has the task of supporting the "team room vision" - however possible.  It might mean you have a heart-to-heart with your real estate or CTO.

          I've heard a story before where HR said it was too costly to reconfigure all the cubes.  So the team figured out how much they were willing to spend on a reconfiguration and the team went and bought stuff from IKEA on that budget -- and got rid of cubes all together.  Not using the expensive cubical supplier and labor etc. they were able to reconfigure the space using simple tables and chairs, etc.  Not only did they reconfigure but they "updated" the look and feel with the IKEA furniture which was nicer than the drab, common business cubical stuff they would of had gotten.  So they truly changed the environment.

          (I don't know if it's just a good story - or if it actually happened, but it's an inspiring story!  The point is don't lose heart so fast when told "no" and look for creative means to get results.)

          Nicholas

          On Dec 3, 2007, at 12:15 PM, James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP wrote:

          I think team rooms are crucial to foster the kind of
          hypercollaboration that agile methods require. That being said people
          do need their own space from time to time. Our current configuration
          is that each team has everything setup in a single room with cubicle
          furniture dismantled so that everyone is working in a circle with
          white boards around the perimeter. In addition most developers have
          their own office which they share with one or 2 people. In general
          team members don't spend much time in their offices except Scrum
          Masters. In addition we have a large conference room converted into a
          "play room" with comfy couches a big flat screen TV Xbox etc.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
             mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          ---
          Nicholas Cancelliere
          Austin, TX

        • Steve Povilaitis
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
            On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:14:23 -0500, Nicholas Cancelliere
            <nickaustin74@...> wrote:

            > It's really great if the team is able to choose their environment, or
            > if the company is willing to pay for the costs of reconfiguring the
            > environment.

            Thanks to everyone that chimed in on this thread. We're moving to a new
            location that we'll be able to build out from scratch to our liking, so
            I'm trying to get some ideas for how we want to do it.
          • Ilja Preuss
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
              If I had the option, I would definitely go with a Caves and Commons
              layout, as suggested by James.

              Our team moved from private offices to an open team room two years ago,
              and though they were quite skeptical at the beginning, nobody wants to
              go back. We now have a small room with a single workplace in addition to
              the team room, but it only gets used occasionally (for example for
              extensive phone calls).

              Plan for lots of plants in the room - that makes a big difference
              regarding the room climate!

              You might want to take a look at
              http://xp123.com/xplor/room-gallery/index.shtml for some inspiration.

              Cheers, Ilja
            • Steve Povilaitis
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                Thanks for the link Ilja! I'm definitely going to recommend the caves and
                commons layout. If anyone has any links to other outstanding workplace
                setups I would love to see them.

                Steve

                On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 01:30:02 -0500, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:

                > If I had the option, I would definitely go with a Caves and Commons
                > layout, as suggested by James.
                >
                > Our team moved from private offices to an open team room two years ago,
                > and though they were quite skeptical at the beginning, nobody wants to
                > go back. We now have a small room with a single workplace in addition to
                > the team room, but it only gets used occasionally (for example for
                > extensive phone calls).
                >
                > Plan for lots of plants in the room - that makes a big difference
                > regarding the room climate!
                >
                > You might want to take a look at
                > http://xp123.com/xplor/room-gallery/index.shtml for some inspiration.
                >
                > Cheers, Ilja

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Nicholas Cancelliere
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                  You're very lucky then to be in that situation.

                  I would go with a common room with side offices, what Ilja affectionately refers to "caves and commons."  That'd be my ideal setup.  Have you spoken to your team about it though?  What are they thinking about?

                  Nicholas

                  <nickaustin74@...> wrote:

                  It's really great if the team is able to choose their environment, or
                  if the company is willing to pay for the costs of reconfiguring the
                  environment.

                  Thanks to everyone that chimed in on this thread. We're moving to a new
                  location that we'll be able to build out from scratch to our liking, so
                  I'm trying to get some ideas for how we want to do it.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  ---
                  Nicholas Cancelliere
                  Austin, TX

                • Steve Freeman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
                    Another advantage of the "Ikea" approach is flexibility, there should
                    be no reason that the configuration has to stay the same for ever.
                    Try out a shape and change it if it doesn't work.

                    If you have a larger budget, apparently the manufacturers have been
                    working on flexible office furniture (castors, adjustable heights,
                    that sort of thing) for years.

                    S.

                    Steve Freeman
                    http://www.mockobjects.com