Re: Single backlog per team

  • gzgruber
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi Wolfgang,

      This is indeed the state I would like. We do have 1 PO for multiple
      projects and it seems like the correct way to handle.

      BR,

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schulze Zachau"
      <wolfgang@...> wrote:

      > That is the way we handle this situation. We have one team and one
      product
      > backlog covering a variety of projects. There is one product owner
      and he is
      > the ultimate decider on priorities, after careful consultation with
      the
      > customers and other stakeholders. Works well, as long as the PO is
      left to
      > make his own decisions. As soon as he is meddled with, things tend
      to go
      > astray. We (as a company) have learned from that and now he is
      mostly left
      > alone. Of course, you need thr right kind of guy to be PO. Somebody
      who is
      > truly impartial and cannot be bought. And he needs a bit of brains.
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > Wolfgang
      >

      > _____

      Karlsson
      > Sent: 02 December 2007 16:29
      > To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Single backlog per team
      >

      > On Dec 2, 2007 4:13 PM, gzgruber <gilad.gruber@
      > <mailto:gilad.gruber%40gmail.com> gmail.com> wrote:
      > >
      > > Our teams sometimes have multiple projects. I am wondering what
      is the
      > > best way and what is the SCRUM way of handling this. My feeling
      is that

      > Ideally, I think it's best to have one team working on one project
      > only. That said, I guess it could work to have one backlog spanning
      > several projects. But I think that would require that you have the
      > same PO for all projects. Someone that can prioritize all work for
      the
      > team.
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      > Joakim Karlsson
      > http://www.jkarlsso <http://www.jkarlsson.com/blog> n.com/blog

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
        kaverjody wrote:
        > Hi Gilad,
        >
        > I think your "backlog" means "product backlog", right?
        >
        > Then I against the idea of having a single product backlog per team.
        > First, product owner is the person who can decide the format of
        > product backlog. And basically I think you do not have a single
        > product owner for different projects. Second, the product backlog is
        > constructing based on priority, how you construct the product backlog
        > among projects? Then you mess up the backlog with project priority,
        > which not directly relate to customer requirement priority.

        Surely the Product Owner (or Product Owner Team, if it's multiple
        individuals) *can* prioritize a single backlog that encompasses multiple
        projects. Can they do it easily? Probably not. Can they be 100% sure
        that the priority is the best? Probably not. But they can do it and
        give their best guess as to the business priority order of the backlog
        stories. They may mix stories from various projects as they best see fit.

        This, while perhaps not optimal, is workable--and it's greatly preferred
        to having multiple backlogs for a single team, and pushing the
        priorities down to the decisions of the technical level. Does the
        company want the developers deciding which project is most important at
        the moment? Probably not, but I've seen POs operate in this fashion
        because it was easier for them than negotiating with the other POs. In
        other words, rather than make explicit decisions on business value, they
        used the development team as a tool to compete with other POs.

        > Based on the assumption you have to work on different projects in
        > same sprint, my suggestion is :
        >
        > You should have your team's capacity estimated, then perhaps you need
        > to negotiate with project managers about capacity division among
        > projects. Then use your project specific capacity to select product
        > backlog items for different projects.

        I've seen this result in exactly the situation I mention above. As
        estimates are only estimates, the developers are put in a position of
        deciding whether to continue working on an unfinished story or switch to
        something different because they've used up the capacity allotment. Or
        perhaps they're pressured into working overtime because the POs will
        blame the developers for anything that goes wrong. A lot of things can
        happen, but few or none of them are Agile.

        I can tell you that that it's not pretty, and it's not good for the
        business.

        - George

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
          George Dinwiddie wrote:
          > I can tell you that that it's not pretty, and it's not good for the
          > business.

          I've elaborated further on this at
          http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2007/12/03/combined-backlog-for-multiple-projects/

          Let me know what you think (either here or there).

          - George