Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Product Owner as Scrum Coach

  • Emiliano Heyns
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
      On Nov 30, 2007 3:12 PM, Pierre Mengal <pierre@...> wrote:
      Conflict of interest ? All the actors are not supposed to have the same interest ? The success of the project ?

      The sole interest cannot be "the success of the project" if the implied undercurrent is "at any cost the PO will not personally feel". The Scrum Master might have to instill a sense of reality in the PO. If the PO is driving the team to a non-sustainable pace, and the team doesn't pick up on this (and it's easy to lose track of this if you're in the middle of it all), the SM must intervene.

      So yes, it can be a conflict of interest. In the example above, the project interest conflicts with the company interest (there's little value in burnt-out employees).

      Emile

    • Pierre Mengal
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
        I have a case where the PO want to drop all possible "tests" (because it is a waste for him), ask developers to do extra hours, etc... to meet the deadline. All classical mistakes.

        He has the same objective as the team: "deliver on time".

        However he is probably wrong on "how to deliver on time".

        This is two different things for me.

        Pierre

        On Dec 3, 2007 2:50 PM, Emiliano Heyns <Emiliano.Heyns@...> wrote:

        On Nov 30, 2007 3:12 PM, Pierre Mengal <pierre@...> wrote:
        Conflict of interest ? All the actors are not supposed to have the same interest ? The success of the project ?

        The sole interest cannot be "the success of the project" if the implied undercurrent is "at any cost the PO will not personally feel". The Scrum Master might have to instill a sense of reality in the PO. If the PO is driving the team to a non-sustainable pace, and the team doesn't pick up on this (and it's easy to lose track of this if you're in the middle of it all), the SM must intervene.

        So yes, it can be a conflict of interest. In the example above, the project interest conflicts with the company interest (there's little value in burnt-out employees).

        Emile

      • Roy Morien
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
          which begs the obvious questions ... Deliver what in time? Who decided the time? What realistic connection is there between 'on time' and what must be delivered by the deadline? Did anyone really know at the time that the deadline was stated what actually was required?

          When will we be rid of such fools in our profession?

          Regards,
          Roy Morien

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: pierre@...
          Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:18:32 +0100
          Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Product Owner as Scrum Coach

          On Dec 3, 2007 2:50 PM, Emiliano Heyns <Emiliano.Heyns@ iris-advies. nl> wrote:

          On Nov 30, 2007 3:12 PM, Pierre Mengal <pierre@mengal. be> wrote:
          Conflict of interest ? All the actors are not supposed to have the same interest ? The success of the project ?

          The sole interest cannot be "the success of the project" if the implied undercurrent is "at any cost the PO will not personally feel". The Scrum Master might have to instill a sense of reality in the PO. If the PO is driving the team to a non-sustainable pace, and the team doesn't pick up on this (and it's easy to lose track of this if you're in the middle of it all), the SM must intervene.

          So yes, it can be a conflict of interest. In the example above, the project interest conflicts with the company interest (there's little value in burnt-out employees).

          Emile

          Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.
        • Della-Croce, Greg
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007

            One of the first things that struck me about SCRUM and Agile is the statement that “Quality is not negotiable”.  Maybe your PO needs to be reminded that if you don’t test (Unit, System, and Acceptance) that all they are going to get is the best and worst guesses that your developer team can make, and that only leads to more “do over”.  “Do over” are a bigger waste of time than testing!!

            Greg

            Ready   Fire   Aim

            Getting the Right  Job Done Right the Right Way in the Right Time

[...]

          • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
              Gents,

              if Scrum is done properly, then the PO has no say into how the team deliver their stuff. The Scrum Master is responsible for ensuring that they deliver DONE stories. He is also responsible for ensuring that the team doesn't overcommit and he needs to ensure that the PO doesn't interfere with the team.
              For any non-team member test are, as a matter of course, a waste, because they do not directly increase the functionality delivered. For developers, they should be an essential, as without them they cannot guarantee that their stories are DONE. Which is exactly why the Scrum Master must ensure that once the team have settled on a definition of DONE, they stick with it.
              In other words: in this case the PO deserves to have his knuckles rapped. Properly.

              Regards,

              Wolfgang

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schulze Zachau"
                <wolfgang@...> wrote:
                > if Scrum is done properly, then the PO has no say into how the team
                deliver
                > their stuff.

                You mean "no say" other than nixing the project because it is no longer
                feasible given the estimates that the team delivered? Or (if the PO is
                also the business owner) nixing the team and starting over with a new
                team? (admittedly one that will be set up for failure from day 1)

                >In other words: in this case the PO deserves to have his knuckles
                rapped. Properly.

                While a rapping of the knuckles is sure to be communicative, it might be
                better to have a sit down and explain *why* the team is defining DONE as
                including tests etc. It shouldn't be too difficult to explain in a way
                that makes good business sense... particularly since it *does* make
                good business sense to test properly right?

                Matt
              • Pierre Mengal

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                      There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying 'guys, you are so wrong' provided you are able to demonstrate how, where and why they are so wrong, and provide an alternative that is demonstrably correct.

                      If we always tippy toed around trying not to hurt everybodies' feelings by saying nothing, then progress in thinking will never happen.

                      Or you have the situation as I was in when a 'nice person' was telling me how, really, I was not wrong, just different, and everybody was entitled to their own opinion. So nice. But when I said, ok, if I am just different, why don't we do it my way for a change, after 10 years of doing it your way? Well, that was just a little too radical, and my suggestion was rejected.

                      Regards,
                      Roy Morien

                      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                      Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au. It's simple!
                    • Pierre Mengal
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Roy,

                        While I really think you honestly believe in what you say, but it seems obvious to me that Agile is not for anyone in the world.

                        At Scrum Gathering, I heard some really great discussions with guys from a big companies explaining me why Agile did not work in some countries. Because of cultural differences.

                        They are not ALL "so wrong", I think, like you, that most of them are. This is the difference.

                        Pierre

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                          On Mar Dec 4 9:45 , Roy Morien <roymorien@...> sent:

                          > If we always tippy toed around trying not to hurt everybodies' feelings by saying
                          > nothing, then progress in thinking will never happen.
                          >
                          > Or you have the situation as I was in when a 'nice person' was telling me how, really, I
                          was not wrong, just different,
                          > and everybody was entitled to their own opinion. So nice. But when I said, ok, if I am
                          just different, why don't we
                          > do it my way for a change, after 10 years of doing it your way? Well, that was just a little
                          too radical, and my
                          > suggestion was rejected.

                          Interesting. I totally fail to see the success of your strategy in that situation...

                          The "nice person" didn't "make progress in thinking" and you didn't get your suggestions
                          accepted. Seems to be a loss for everybody...

                          What you wrote first makes perfect sense to me:

                          [out of order]
                          > There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying 'guys, you are so wrong' provided you are
                          > able to demonstrate how, where and why they are so wrong, and provide an alternative
                          > that is demonstrably correct.

                          But somehow, in practice, this rarely seems to work. As (IMO) your example demonstrates.

                          Cheers

                          Jerome
                        • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                            OK, let me clarify this a little.
                            Yes, the PO can stop the project if it is no longer feasible. Yes, the PO can disassemble the team, if it cannot deliver the results he needs. But then, maybe he should have looked a bit harder (and without the pink shades) at the realities that exist.
                            I insist that the PO cannot tell the team HOW they deliver what he is asking them to deliver.
                            The knuckle rapping was meant to be verbal, not literal. And surely any good Scrum Master will try and negotiate first and cajole, persuade, whatever he can conjure up. The underlying motto here should be: a dead Scrum Master is of no use to anyone.
                            Having said that: if the PO cannot be made to see the light of the day, then you have a lose/lose situation anyway. And that might just be the right time to cut your losses.

                            Regarding Pierre's comment that they really have to deliver on the 1st of January: Scrum always delivers on time. The questions simply is: what will be delivered? And it is the PO's job to figure out what are the most important bits to deliver.
                            Here you have a situation where Scrum simply blows the covers off completely.

                            Regards,

                            Wolfgang