Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Quality in the Resources - Quality - Time - Scope

  • Emiliano Heyns
    Message 1 of 52 , Dec 3, 2007
      On Nov 26, 2007 11:51 PM, James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP <jsfosdickcsp@...> wrote:
      With no disrespect intended, "Quality is not negotiable" is a
      meaningless and counterproductive aphorism like "Fight to win" or
      "Failure is not an option". First of all, the meaning of "quality"
      MUST be negotiated as it means different things to different people.

      Worse yet, "failure is not an option" isn't meaningless, it's a gutless statement that people typically use when they are unable to face the grim reality of impending and unavoidable failure and would rather throw good money after bad in a vein attempt to safe face on someone else's dime or over someone else's back. (Early) failure is in fact an excellent option in some circumstances, and one of the great things about Scrum is that it allows you to see much easier when those circumstances are met.

      Sorry, pet peeve.

      Emile

    • Roy Morien
      Message 52 of 52 , Dec 5, 2007
        I would imagine that it is very difficult to put a number on it. Do you think someone could really tell you how many dollars extra profit, or reduced cost, may arise from the ability to see a graphic of sales figures instead of a text report? (This assumes that the graphic has 'business value' greater than the text report.

        Value cannot always be measured in arithmetic terms, even money arithmetic. What is valuable to one person is irrelevant to another. Even being able to say 'Oh, it saves me X hours a week when I use that feature' cannot reasonably be defined in dollars, or euros.

        Value is so often an individual, subjective thing. Value is often measured in terms of helpfulness, convenience, even attractiveness.

        I think this is another good reason why project cost-benefit analysis and things like ROI are fundamentally meaningless.

        Of course, just because something is of value to someone, doesn't always mean that it is valuable. Receiving large, voluminous reports that indicate (somehow) status and importance may be of value to the recipient, but really isn't the least bit valuable in any objective sense.

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: ceezone@...
        Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:52:07 +0530
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Quality in the Resources - Quality - Time - Scope

        Thanks for your response, it helps a lot. References to Drucker and the relevance of a 'customer', even a non-paying one.

        About someone wanting features in eclipse, it is evident that there is some value, but 'business' value !?!
        Can we even come close to putiing a number to it? I don't mean so many Dollars or Euros, but even a relative value accross features, such that this set of values be resonably consistent.

        --- srinivas