Re: Single backlog per team

  • kaverjody
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi Gilad,

      I think your "backlog" means "product backlog", right?

      Then I against the idea of having a single product backlog per team.
      First, product owner is the person who can decide the format of
      product backlog. And basically I think you do not have a single
      product owner for different projects. Second, the product backlog is
      constructing based on priority, how you construct the product backlog
      among projects? Then you mess up the backlog with project priority,
      which not directly relate to customer requirement priority.

      Based on the assumption you have to work on different projects in
      same sprint, my suggestion is :

      You should have your team's capacity estimated, then perhaps you need
      to negotiate with project managers about capacity division among
      projects. Then use your project specific capacity to select product
      backlog items for different projects.

      Best Regards,
      Xu Yi-Kaveri

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "gzgruber"
      <gilad.gruber@...> wrote:

      > Mates,
      >
      > Our teams sometimes have multiple projects. I am wondering what is
      the
      > best way and what is the SCRUM way of handling this. My feeling is
      that
      > the best way is to have a single backlog per team (even if this
      means
      > that in a sprint the team is working on backlog items belonging to
      > multiple projects). I think the purists will recommend splitting
      the
      > team and having multiple backlogs.
      >
      > Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
      >
      > BR,
      >
      > Gilad

    • Roy Morien
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2007
        Given that a 'project' is really just a collection of apparently associated activities, probably intending to achieve a common outcome, then I think that is what should be in the Product Backlog. If there are other activities that have no relevant association, then perhaps they should be in another Product Backlog.

        I think one major influence on this is to do with the changeover effort and setup time needed for team members to move from one activity to another. It is clearly inefficient and wasteful if the team is moved to something else that has no relevance to what they are currently doing. Perhaps this is the benchmark that you should apply to deciding your 'projects' and the associated Product Backlog.

        Of course, for those teams that are predominantly doing maintenance and 'on request' type development, where service requests come in almost on adhoc or asynchronous basis, then there may be no escaping the need for such changeover and setup times, and everything goes into a common Product Backlog.

        But in all of this, common sense must prevail, surely. If it is convenient and efficient to have many teams, each with its own PB, then fine, go for it. Each PB will have to be separately prioritised. If a common backlog that is shared by many teams, then that implies that many teams, of appropriate numbers each (7-9 maximum) share the same PB, and then it just becomes a problem of handling the prioritising of the PB, AND of the orderly selecting of items to go onto the various Sprint Backlogs.

        Yes?  No?

        Regards,
        Roy Morien.

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: yi.xu@...
        Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 05:46:20 +0000
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Single backlog per team

        <gilad.gruber@ ...> wrote:

        > Mates,
        >
        > Our teams sometimes have multiple projects. I am wondering what is
        the
        > best way and what is the SCRUM way of handling this. My feeling is
        that
        > the best way is to have a single backlog per team (even if this
        means
        > that in a sprint the team is working on backlog items belonging to
        > multiple projects). I think the purists will recommend splitting
        the
        > team and having multiple backlogs.
        >
        > Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
        >
        > BR,
        >
        > Gilad

        Check our comprehensive Salary Centre Overpaid or Underpaid?
      • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
          That is the way we handle this situation. We have one team and one product backlog covering a variety of projects. There is one product owner and he is the ultimate decider on priorities, after careful consultation with the customers and other stakeholders. Works well, as long as the PO is left to make his own decisions. As soon as he is meddled with, things tend to go astray. We (as a company) have learned from that and now he is mostly left alone. Of course, you need thr right kind of guy to be PO. Somebody who is truly impartial and cannot be bought. And he needs a bit of brains.

          Regards,

          Wolfgang

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
            Hi Wolfgang,

            This is indeed the state I would like. We do have 1 PO for multiple
            projects and it seems like the correct way to handle.

            BR,

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schulze Zachau"
            <wolfgang@...> wrote:

            > That is the way we handle this situation. We have one team and one
            product
            > backlog covering a variety of projects. There is one product owner
            and he is
            > the ultimate decider on priorities, after careful consultation with
            the
            > customers and other stakeholders. Works well, as long as the PO is
            left to
            > make his own decisions. As soon as he is meddled with, things tend
            to go
            > astray. We (as a company) have learned from that and now he is
            mostly left
            > alone. Of course, you need thr right kind of guy to be PO. Somebody
            who is
            > truly impartial and cannot be bought. And he needs a bit of brains.
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Wolfgang
            >

            > _____

            Karlsson
            > Sent: 02 December 2007 16:29
            > To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Single backlog per team
            >

            > On Dec 2, 2007 4:13 PM, gzgruber <gilad.gruber@
            > <mailto:gilad.gruber%40gmail.com> gmail.com> wrote:
            > >
            > > Our teams sometimes have multiple projects. I am wondering what
            is the
            > > best way and what is the SCRUM way of handling this. My feeling
            is that

            > Ideally, I think it's best to have one team working on one project
            > only. That said, I guess it could work to have one backlog spanning
            > several projects. But I think that would require that you have the
            > same PO for all projects. Someone that can prioritize all work for
            the
            > team.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            > Joakim Karlsson
            > http://www.jkarlsso <http://www.jkarlsson.com/blog> n.com/blog

          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
              kaverjody wrote:
              > Hi Gilad,
              >
              > I think your "backlog" means "product backlog", right?
              >
              > Then I against the idea of having a single product backlog per team.
              > First, product owner is the person who can decide the format of
              > product backlog. And basically I think you do not have a single
              > product owner for different projects. Second, the product backlog is
              > constructing based on priority, how you construct the product backlog
              > among projects? Then you mess up the backlog with project priority,
              > which not directly relate to customer requirement priority.

              Surely the Product Owner (or Product Owner Team, if it's multiple
              individuals) *can* prioritize a single backlog that encompasses multiple
              projects. Can they do it easily? Probably not. Can they be 100% sure
              that the priority is the best? Probably not. But they can do it and
              give their best guess as to the business priority order of the backlog
              stories. They may mix stories from various projects as they best see fit.

              This, while perhaps not optimal, is workable--and it's greatly preferred
              to having multiple backlogs for a single team, and pushing the
              priorities down to the decisions of the technical level. Does the
              company want the developers deciding which project is most important at
              the moment? Probably not, but I've seen POs operate in this fashion
              because it was easier for them than negotiating with the other POs. In
              other words, rather than make explicit decisions on business value, they
              used the development team as a tool to compete with other POs.

              > Based on the assumption you have to work on different projects in
              > same sprint, my suggestion is :
              >
              > You should have your team's capacity estimated, then perhaps you need
              > to negotiate with project managers about capacity division among
              > projects. Then use your project specific capacity to select product
              > backlog items for different projects.

              I've seen this result in exactly the situation I mention above. As
              estimates are only estimates, the developers are put in a position of
              deciding whether to continue working on an unfinished story or switch to
              something different because they've used up the capacity allotment. Or
              perhaps they're pressured into working overtime because the POs will
              blame the developers for anything that goes wrong. A lot of things can
              happen, but few or none of them are Agile.

              I can tell you that that it's not pretty, and it's not good for the
              business.

              - George

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                George Dinwiddie wrote:
                > I can tell you that that it's not pretty, and it's not good for the
                > business.

                I've elaborated further on this at
                http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2007/12/03/combined-backlog-for-multiple-projects/

                Let me know what you think (either here or there).

                - George