Re: [scrumdevelopment] Firms Using Scrum // Nokia Test proposal

  • Chris Brookins
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
      I think it would be great to post a short on-line survey that asks Scrum praticioners the Nokia test questions to see if they pass and publish the summary of results for each question for all to see.

      On that very topic, I just was watching this video http://www.infoq.com/interviews/jeff-sutherland-scrum-rules of Jeff Sutherland discussing the Nokia test and it was very informative.

      - Chris

      On 12/2/07, Joseph Little <jhlittle@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      Again, let me encourage you to post your firm (or firms you know) on the list of Firms Using Scrum.  If that is true of course.

      Here: http://scrumalliance.pbwiki.com/Firms-Using-Scrum

       One of the questions about the list that comes up from time to time is some variation on this theme: "Is each of these firms really doing Scrum?"  Or "How well is each of these firms doing Scrum?"

      In my experience, the motivation behind these questions can be quite legitimate...we see people saying they are doing Scrum, yet it is hardly recognizable to those of us who love (and know) Scrum.  (Or at least we are sure our understanding of Scrum is the better one.)

      But perhaps we can make this information somewhat more objective and less a religious war.

      So, I am volunteering to see if I can modify the list to allow firms to note whether they pass the Nokia Test for doing Scrum.  Do you think that makes sense?  Would that be helpful?

      Realistically, that will mean that the reporting person thinks at least some teams in that firm at a point in time pass the Nokia Test.

      For those unfamiliar with the Nokia Test, I will post shortly a blog entry about it.

      Thanks, Joe

      Agile and Business blog

    • Joseph Little
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2007
        Any other votes on whether we should add the Nokia Test to the Firms
        Using Scrum list ?

        (For the list, see http://scrumalliance.pbwiki.com/Firms-Using-Scrum)

        Thanks, Joe

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Brookins" <chris@...>
        wrote:

        > I think it would be great to post a short on-line survey that asks Scrum
        > practitioners the Nokia test questions to see if they pass and
        publish the
        > summary of results for each question for all to see.
        >
        > On that very topic, I just was watching this video
        > http://www.infoq.com/interviews/jeff-sutherland-scrum-rules of Jeff
        > Sutherland discussing the Nokia test and it was very informative.
        > - Chris
        >

        > On 12/2/07, Joseph Little <jhlittle@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > Again, let me encourage you to post your firm (or firms you know)
        on the
        > > list of Firms Using Scrum. If that is true of course.
        > >
        > > Here: http://scrumalliance.pbwiki.com/Firms-Using-Scrum
        > >
        > > One of the questions about the list that comes up from time to
        time is
        > > some variation on this theme: "Is each of these firms *really* doing
        > > Scrum?" Or "How well is each of these firms doing Scrum?"
        > >
        > > In my experience, the motivation behind these questions can be quite
        > > legitimate...we see people saying they are doing Scrum, yet it is
        hardly
        > > recognizable to those of us who love (and know) Scrum. (Or at
        least we are
        > > sure our understanding of Scrum is the better one.)
        > >
        > > But perhaps we can make this information somewhat more objective
        and less
        > > a religious war.
        > >
        > > So, I am volunteering to see if I can modify the list to allow
        firms to
        > > note whether they pass the Nokia Test for doing Scrum. *Do you
        think that
        > > makes sense? Would that be helpful?
        > > *
        > > Realistically, that will mean that the reporting person thinks at
        least
        > > some teams in that firm at a point in time pass the Nokia Test.
        > >
        > > For those unfamiliar with the Nokia Test, I will post shortly a
        blog entry
        > > about it.
        > >
        > > Thanks, Joe
        > >
        > > Agile and Business <http://agileconsortium.blogspot.com/> blog

      • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
          I would think it is quite a good test, and quick, too. The real question is whether people are going to be honest enough in their answers.

          Regards,

          Wolfgang

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
            I have now added a column where you can indicate whether each firm
            currently has one team (or more) that passes the Nokia Test.

            See http://scrumalliance.pbwiki.com/Firms%20Using%20Scrum

            Thanks, Joe

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Little"