The Nokia Test

  • Joseph Little
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi all,

      I just posted a blog entry on the Nokia Test. It explains what it
      is, and makes some comments about it.
      Here: http://agileconsortium.blogspot.com/

      Obviously, I think the Nokia Test is very valuable.

      Your comments, error corrections, etc. on the Nokia Test or on the
      blog entry are most welcome.

      Thanks, Joe
    • Joseph Little
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2007
        Hi,

        I have written another post on The Nokia Test, which some may find
        interesting. See http://agileconsortium.blogspot.com/

        I find The Nokia Test an extremely useful way to answer three questions:
        * is this team really doing Scrum?
        * have we really tried Agile?
        * are we doing Cowboy Agile?

        Jeff Sutherland and some venture capitalists think it helps answer
        another, perhaps more important question:
        * will this company be likely to turn the firehose of productive
        innovation on its competition?

        See, for example, Jeff Sutherland's comment toward the bottom of this
        page:
        http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/41-am-i-or-am-i-not-using-scrum-that-is-the-question

        I, for one, am impressed that apparently too few firms are really
        doing Scrum according to their belated self-assessment via the Nokia
        Test. We are imperfect, but we can still pick ourselves and start
        again toward better Agile. Don't find out too late...test yourself today.

        Regards, Joe

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Little <jhlittle@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I just posted a blog entry on the Nokia Test. It explains what it
        > is, and makes some comments about it.
        > Here: http://agileconsortium.blogspot.com/
        >
        > Obviously, I think the Nokia Test is very valuable.
        >
        > Your comments, error corrections, etc. on the Nokia Test or on the
        > blog entry are most welcome.
        >
        > Thanks, Joe

      • Joseph Little
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
          Hi,

          I wanted to make the Nokia Test visible again.

          One of the first things to say is "Agile is more a way of thinking,
          than a set of practices".

          From a certain point of view, I might seem to be contradicting myself.
          But it is wiser to hold two contradictory ideas in one's mind at the
          same time. More like reality. It is the tension between them that
          will help us learn.

          I would advocate the Nokia Test over other similar things, partly
          because it is from an external company (eg, not Scrum Alliance), who,
          for unbiased reasons, found it useful. (eg, It cannot be viewed as a
          "religious" test.)

          I think it is useful as a starter for the conversation about "are we
          letting ourselves do Cowboy Agile? Or are we letting ourselves do
          Agilefall? Are we really getting the juice from Scrum that we are
          capable of today?"

          Also, I have just added to a series of blog posts on The Nokia Test,
          here: http://agileconsortium.blogspot.com/ Your comments are welcome.