Scrum adoption stats

  • Chris B
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
      I'm presenting Scrum to my company and would like to refer to to some
      numbers indicating Scrum is credible and mainstream such as:

      # of certified Scrum Masters (I heard 12,000 a year ago and doubling
      every year - is it 24,000 now?)
      # of companies that practice Scrum
      # of Scrum teams (I heard 120,000 a year ago?)
      # of Scrum team members (120,000 * 5 avg = 600,000?)
      Some of the marquis-companies that do Scrum - Yahoo/Nokia/Google/Who
      Else?

      Thanks,

      Chris Brookins
    • David H.
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi

        > I'm presenting Scrum to my company and would like to refer to to some
        > numbers indicating Scrum is credible and mainstream such as:

        I am sorry there are no such numbers which you could reliably refer to.

        > # of certified Scrum Masters (I heard 12,000 a year ago and doubling
        > every year - is it 24,000 now?)
        > # of companies that practice Scrum
        > # of Scrum teams (I heard 120,000 a year ago?)
        > # of Scrum team members (120,000 * 5 avg = 600,000?)
        > Some of the marquis-companies that do Scrum - Yahoo/Nokia/Google/Who
        > Else?

        Those numbers are meaningless. There are many ScrumMasters who get
        certified but never actually practice. Those people go to the courses
        to get a 2 day introduction to scrum, they do not necessarily end up
        being Scrum Masters.

        Why are you trying to convince them with numbers?

        -d

        benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
      • Pierre Mengal

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
            David, thanks for responding.  The purpose is to highlight for an executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe work it won't merit as much interest.  If there are better ways to do that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.

            - Chris

            On 12/2/07, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:

            Hi

            > I'm presenting Scrum to my company and would like to refer to to some
            > numbers indicating Scrum is credible and mainstream such as:

            I am sorry there are no such numbers which you could reliably refer to.

            > # of certified Scrum Masters (I heard 12,000 a year ago and doubling
            > every year - is it 24,000 now?)
            > # of companies that practice Scrum
            > # of Scrum teams (I heard 120,000 a year ago?)
            > # of Scrum team members (120,000 * 5 avg = 600,000?)
            > Some of the marquis-companies that do Scrum - Yahoo/Nokia/Google/Who
            > Else?

            Those numbers are meaningless. There are many ScrumMasters who get
            certified but never actually practice. Those people go to the courses
            to get a 2 day introduction to scrum, they do not necessarily end up
            being Scrum Masters.

            Why are you trying to convince them with numbers?

            -d

            benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

          • Mike Vizdos
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
              Maybe see if the execs want to see real working software on a regular basis.

              And.

              Find out why they want to change what they are doing today.

              The answers may create some interesting conversations and help break out of the, "Well a lot of other people are doing it."

              I do not have the link available now but you may want to also check out joe littles list on companies using it today.

              Thank you,

              Mike

              On Dec 2, 2007, at 12:06 PM, "Chris Brookins" <chris@...> wrote:

              David, thanks for responding.  The purpose is to highlight for an executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe work it won't merit as much interest.  If there are better ways to do that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.

              - Chris

              On 12/2/07, David H. <dmalloc@gmail. com > wrote:

              Hi

              > I'm presenting Scrum to my company and would like to refer to to some
              > numbers indicating Scrum is credible and mainstream such as:

              I am sorry there are no such numbers which you could reliably refer to.

              > # of certified Scrum Masters (I heard 12,000 a year ago and doubling
              > every year - is it 24,000 now?)
              > # of companies that practice Scrum
              > # of Scrum teams (I heard 120,000 a year ago?)
              > # of Scrum team members (120,000 * 5 avg = 600,000?)
              > Some of the marquis-companies that do Scrum - Yahoo/Nokia/ Google/Who
              > Else?

              Those numbers are meaningless. There are many ScrumMasters who get
              certified but never actually practice. Those people go to the courses
              to get a 2 day introduction to scrum, they do not necessarily end up
              being Scrum Masters.

              Why are you trying to convince them with numbers?

              -d

              benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

            • Emiliano Heyns
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
              • Chris Brookins
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Thanks Mike, based on your reference I found the link
                  On 12/2/07, Mike Vizdos <mvizdos@...> wrote:

                  Maybe see if the execs want to see real working software on a regular basis.

                  And.

                  Find out why they want to change what they are doing today.

                  The answers may create some interesting conversations and help break out of the, "Well a lot of other people are doing it."

                  I do not have the link available now but you may want to also check out joe littles list on companies using it today.

                  Thank you,

                  Mike

                  On Dec 2, 2007, at 12:06 PM, "Chris Brookins" <chris@...> wrote:

                  David, thanks for responding.  The purpose is to highlight for an executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe work it won't merit as much interest.  If there are better ways to do that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.

                  - Chris

                  On 12/2/07, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:

                  Hi

                  > I'm presenting Scrum to my company and would like to refer to to some
                  > numbers indicating Scrum is credible and mainstream such as:

                  I am sorry there are no such numbers which you could reliably refer to.

                  > # of certified Scrum Masters (I heard 12,000 a year ago and doubling
                  > every year - is it 24,000 now?)
                  > # of companies that practice Scrum
                  > # of Scrum teams (I heard 120,000 a year ago?)
                  > # of Scrum team members (120,000 * 5 avg = 600,000?)
                  > Some of the marquis-companies that do Scrum - Yahoo/Nokia/Google/Who
                  > Else?

                  Those numbers are meaningless. There are many ScrumMasters who get
                  certified but never actually practice. Those people go to the courses
                  to get a 2 day introduction to scrum, they do not necessarily end up
                  being Scrum Masters.

                  Why are you trying to convince them with numbers?

                  -d

                  benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

                • Joseph Little
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Hi Mike and all,

                    Yes, Firms Using Scrum is a list of some firms using Scrum (or someone
                    says they are).

                    Here it is again: http://scrumalliance.pbwiki.com/Firms-Using-Scrum

                    In general I think the data is reliable. In specifics, I think you
                    should tread carefully. In general, I think you can assume that some
                    (but not all) project teams in each firm are using some or all of the
                    major parts of Scrum. And there are some firms where the whole firm is
                    being run using Scrum.

                    "Do any two teams do Scrum exactly the same way?" Here we can go down
                    a long and interesting bunny hole. Useful?

                    "Using Scrum" means different things to different people. (True of
                    almost any important topic.)

                    This list (Firms Using Scrum) is monitored by me, and I promote it
                    from time to time. But it is NOT my list. It is by and for the whole
                    community. Many people, from Jeff Sutherland (co-creator) to the
                    latest CSM, have contributed to the list. Still, I know for a fact
                    that many more (well, in my personal case, I know several more) firms
                    are using Scrum than are listed there.

                    It is also fair to say that anyone can *say* they are doing Scrum and
                    not be doing it (at least in any useful, professional sense). While
                    there is the risk of utter fabrication on the list, my experience
                    (educated guess) is that that is not a meaningful concern in general.

                    "How many firms are using Scrum well?" This is a very interesting and
                    important question...mainly because it leads each of us to ask "is my
                    current team doing Scrum/Agile/its work better today than yesterday?"
                    My attitude is that every day we must take the risk to try to do it
                    better. Perfection is never achieved, and there are always more
                    impediments to remove. Which keeps life interesting.

                    So, how many firms *are* using Scrum well? "Difficult to see the
                    future is. Always in motion" said Yoda. Likewise, this is a difficult
                    question. How many of us are following the 10 commandments well?
                    Certainly some of the firms who report using Scrum would not
                    themselves claim to be using it well (yet). And some of the best,
                    perhaps too much focusing on their impediments, might say they are not
                    doing it "well" yet.

                    To know and not to do is not to know.

                    Hope that helps a bit.

                    Regards, Joe

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Brookins" <chris@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Thanks Mike, based on your reference I found the link
                    > http://scrumalliance.pbwiki.com/Firms-Using-Scrum
                    >

                    > On 12/2/07, Mike Vizdos <mvizdos@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Maybe see if the execs want to see real working software on a
                    regular
                    > > basis.
                    > >

                    > > And.
                    > >

                    > > Find out why they want to change what they are doing today.
                    > >

                    > > The answers may create some interesting conversations and help
                    break out
                    > > of the, "Well a lot of other people are doing it."
                    > >

                    > > I do not have the link available now but you may want to also
                    check out
                    > > joe littles list on companies using it today.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you,
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                    > > Www.implementingscrum.com <http://www.implementingscrum.com/>
                    > > Www.michaelvizdos.com <http://www.michaelvizdos.com/>
                    > >

                    > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 12:06 PM, "Chris Brookins" <chris@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > David, thanks for responding. The purpose is to highlight for an
                    > > executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work
                    done by a
                    > > few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe
                    work it
                    > > won't merit as much interest. If there are better ways to do that
                    than
                    > > citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.
                    > >
                    > > - Chris
                    > >

                    > > On 12/2/07, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi

                    > > > I am sorry there are no such numbers which you could reliably
                    refer to.

                    Yahoo/Nokia/Google/Who

                    > > > Those numbers are meaningless. There are many ScrumMasters who get
                    > > > certified but never actually practice. Those people go to the
                    courses
                    > > > to get a 2 day introduction to scrum, they do not necessarily end up
                    > > > being Scrum Masters.
                    > > >
                    > > > Why are you trying to convince them with numbers?
                    > > >
                    > > > -d
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
                    > > > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
                    > > > accounts.
                    > > >
                    > > > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
                    > > > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

                  • banshee858
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007

                      > David, thanks for responding. The purpose is to highlight for an
                      > executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done
                      > by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe
                      > work it won't merit as much interest. If there are better ways to do
                      > that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.

                      There is a lot of published books out there on Scrum and\or mention it
                      in an index. Also a large number of blog posts. Look for evidence of
                      Scrum as conference sessions, as well. Sure, it is not "definitive"
                      proof Scrum is not fringe, but it is a start.

                      Carlton
                    • Roy Morien
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Hi,

                        In a conference paper that was presented at the IS Education Conference in the US in early October, I made the following statement. I think it may be useful to you.
                        ***************************

                        To date, there are nearly 90 user groups listed on the Agile Alliance web site (www.agilealliance.org/show/1641). There are at least 11 books written that I have grouped under the heading of Agile Software Development, General; 5 books on Lean Software Development; 7 on Agile Project Management; 17 on Agile Software Engineering; 22 on Extreme Programming.  There are 5 books on associated management disciplines, such as The Toyota Way (Liker, 1997). There are many other books that discuss matters such as Lean Product Development, Lean Six Sigma, and so forth. There are three major international conferences on agile development (held annually since 2001), and other international conferences on lean manufacturing and associated subjects, which are considered relevant to our study of agile development and agile project management. A search of the Internet with the key phrase 'agile software development' reveals 3,340,000 'hits'; 'lean software development' returns 2,200,00 'hits; 'agile project management' 2,150,000 'hits'.

                        There are many hundreds, if not thousands, of articles that have been published since the mid-1970's on iterative development, incremental development, rapid application development, evolutionary development, software prototyping. IBM now publishes a regular e-magazine (The Rational Edge) which is comprised substantially of articles on agile development and project management. There are numerous other subscription publications, from Dr. Dobbs, from Methods and Tools, and others.
                        **End of Quote**

                        I should also have included that there are at least 6 published agile development methodologies (including Scrum, DSDM, Crystal, FDD, XP, Adaptive Software Development), as well as a long history of 'near-agile' methods, such as Iterative Development, Software Prototyping, Spiral Model, going back more than 30 years. The first Annotated Bibliography of Software Prototyping was published in 1984 citing more than 250 articles on that subject.

                        Nokia, IBM and British Telecom immediately spring to mind as enormous companies that have adopted an agile development methods for their software development. On this occasion I am happy to adopt the old saying 'Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM' :). IBM also has a large subsidiary (Rational) that publishes a monthly eMagazine (The RationalEdge) that is full of stories about agile development. Recently in Australia the new CIO of a major banking group started to move all of their software development to agile. http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22667903-24170,00.html To quote from this article "FIVE years as the head of IT at some of Australia's largest businesses have helped give Suncorp CIO Jeff Smith a reputation in the industry as a lover of leading and bleeding edge technologies... Mr Smith urged businesses to consider dumping the dominant waterfall system of project management, which relies on heavy-duty governance structures, linear phases and gating. He said the so-called agile system was a far more effective project management scheme.
                        Mr Smith plans to practice what he preaches and has already adopted agile management techniques for the integration of Suncorp's IT systems with those of recent acquisition Promina over the coming years. "The waterfall model is a model most of us follow, have followed for years. It's fundamentally flawed and it doesn't work," Smith said. "You don't get a continuous flow of work, so you lose a lot of productivity. Then at the end of each phase, you get lots of sign-offs. "You know why we do the sign-offs at the end of each phase? It adds no value and it was put in place to fail. The reason we do sign-offs is so we can blame someone later on, when something fails."

                        If you do a search on Google on 'CIO adopts agile' you may be somewhat astonished at the wealth of information that this will reveal, to support your case.

                        I hope this helps you put a persuasive case.

                        Regards,
                        Roy Morien

                        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                        From: cnett858@...
                        Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:28:25 +0000
                        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum adoption stats

                        > David, thanks for responding. The purpose is to highlight for an
                        > executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done
                        > by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe
                        > work it won't merit as much interest. If there are better ways to do
                        > that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.

                        There is a lot of published books out there on Scrum and\or mention it
                        in an index. Also a large number of blog posts. Look for evidence of
                        Scrum as conference sessions, as well. Sure, it is not "definitive"
                        proof Scrum is not fringe, but it is a start.

                        Carlton

                        Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.
                      • quinton@serv.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                          How many of these places pass the Nokia Test?

                          Who administers the test and evaluates the results?

                        • Chris Brookins

                            From: cnett858@...
                            Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:28:25 +0000

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                              Well, presumably Nokia does :)  but for the rest, I have no idea. However, the very fact that these large companies are at least purporting to be 'agile', and are even including the terminology in their policies, is a big step forward, and a significant vote for agile development.

                              The fact that these companies, and others, are acknowledging the problems of traditional, plan-driven methods, and are recognising the need for faster 'time to market', and the dynamics of software development, rather than the almost static situation that they previously hoped to accomplish by some heavy weight method, is terrific, don't you think?

                              I am all for such 'tests' as the Nokia Test, as guidelines for the uninitiated to be able to assess their conformance to a method. But let's not get too rigid and rigorous.

                              Regards,
                              Roy Morien

                              To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                              From: quinton@...
                              Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 00:31:40 +0000
                              Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum adoption stats

> [...]

                              > Roy Morien
                              >

                              > To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. comFrom: cnett858@hotmail. comDate: Mon, 3
                              > Dec 2007 22:28:25 +0000Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum adoption
                              > stats
                              >

                              >>> David, thanks for responding. The purpose is to highlight for an >
                              >>> executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done>
                              >>> by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe>
                              >>> work it won't merit as much interest. If there are better ways to do>
                              >>> that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.>
                              >>> There is a lot of published books out there on Scrum and\or mention
                              >>> itin an index. Also a large number of blog posts. Look for evidence
                              >>> ofScrum as conference sessions, as well. Sure, it is not
                              >>> "definitive" proof Scrum is not fringe, but it is a start.Carlton

                              > New music from the Rogue Traders - listen now!

                              Check our comprehensive Salary Centre Overpaid or Underpaid?
                            • Ramon Davila
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                                You Could add Siemens to the list of companies that have adopted agile globally

                                Ramon

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                                  Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Are there any case studies or reports on Siemens?

                                  To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: davilameister@...
                                  Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:21:05 -0500

                                  On Dec 3, 2007 6:49 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > From: cnett858@hotmail. com
                                  > Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:28:25 +0000
                                  > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum adoption stats
                                  >

                                  > > David, thanks for responding. The purpose is to highlight for an
                                  > > executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done
                                  > > by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe
                                  > > work it won't merit as much interest. If there are better ways to do
                                  > > that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.
                                  > >
                                  > There is a lot of published books out there on Scrum and\or mention it
                                  > in an index. Also a large number of blog posts. Look for evidence of
                                  > Scrum as conference sessions, as well. Sure, it is not "definitive"
                                  > proof Scrum is not fringe, but it is a start.
                                  >
                                  > Carlton
                                  >

                                  > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                  > Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.

                                  Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?
                                • George Dinwiddie
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    Roy Morien wrote:
                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > In a conference paper that was presented at the IS Education Conference
                                    > in the US in early October, I made the following statement. I think it
                                    > may be useful to you.

                                    Roy, is that paper published? If so, please add it to the Agile
                                    bibliography at http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com (with a link to the paper
                                    or abstract, if that's available). The message you posted here would be
                                    a good summary on the bibliography site.

                                    thanks,
                                    George

                                  • Ramon Davila
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                                      Presentation from the Fall 2007 Scrum Gathering: London
                                      "Pragmatic Solutions to Agile Real-Life Problems"
                                      http://www.scrumalliance.org/resources/274

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                                        I am sorry about emailing them one at a time

                                        http://www.romanpichler.com/publication/pdfs/GoingAgileAtSiemensCommunicationsUK.pdf

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                                          Thank you. That's great, and very informative.

                                          Roy Morien

                                          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: davilameister@...
                                          Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:52:51 -0500

                                          On Dec 4, 2007 12:05 AM, Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com> wrote:

> [...]
                                          > > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum adoption stats
                                          > >

                                          > > > David, thanks for responding. The purpose is to highlight for an
                                          > > > executive presentation that Scrum is not prioneering fringe work done
                                          > > > by a few, rather that it is widely practiced, because if it is fringe
                                          > > > work it won't merit as much interest. If there are better ways to do
                                          > > > that than citing #s and major companies doing Scrum, please share.
                                          > > >
                                          > > There is a lot of published books out there on Scrum and\or mention it
                                          > > in an index. Also a large number of blog posts. Look for evidence of
                                          > > Scrum as conference sessions, as well. Sure, it is not "definitive"
                                          > > proof Scrum is not fringe, but it is a start.
                                          > >
                                          > > Carlton
                                          > >

                                          > > ____________ _________ _________ __
                                          > > Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.

                                          > Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?

                                          Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au. It's simple!
                                        • Roy Morien
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                                            Again, Thank you :)

                                            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com