Re: Issues i'm going through with Scrum / Sprints. I need some advice and help!

  • aalanatlas
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 29, 2007
      +1!

      Wolfgang, you have it exactly right. We also have lots of situations
      where one scrum team works on multiple projects. The key is the single
      Product Owner who can take all of the chaos and confusion and conflict
      between the multiple projects and products, and their customers,
      somewhere far away from the team.

      And after that, you have to do scrum correctly. You can do it just by
      reading the book and being careful (that's what I originally did), but
      that's the hardest way. Getting training helps, and getting coaching
      helps even more.

      Well, full disclosure, now that I'm a coach I of course think coaching
      is a great idea. :-)

      Good luck, jbb, and don't give up. It will take a while, but your
      situation can be handled to everybody's benefit.

      alan

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schulze Zachau"
      <wolfgang@...> wrote:

      > Hi JBB,
      >
      > responding to you and the other posts on this thread.
      > Although ideally one Scrum team should tackle one project, there is in
      > reality very little holding you back from tackling several projects
      with one
      > team. We do it. The biggest issue in this situation is to find a SINGLE
      > product owner, who has the final word on the priorities on the product
      > backlog. Otherwise you end up in between all the chairs with your
      dev team.
      > In your particular situation I would apply Shu-Ha-Ri. Buy the books
      from Ken
      > Schwaber (the two early ones, not the one on Scrum in the
      Enterprise), maybe
      > also Mike Cohn's book on agile estimations, make the scrum master
      and the PO
      > read them and then follow them to the letter for the first, say, 5-8
      > sprints. If you need a shorter cycle time, that's not a problem, but
      make
      > sure you adjust all your timeboxes with the same ratio. Example: for a
      > sprint duration of 2 weeks instead of 4 weeks, the sprint planning
      meeting
      > should consist of 2 x 2 hour phases, same goes for the sprint review and
      > retrospective. This is the Shu phase (learn the rules and follow the
      rules).

      > Once you have done that (to the letter, mind you), then you can
      cautiously
      > venture forth into the Ha : bend the rules. This is the stage where you
      > start making small adjustments to suit your particular situation.
      But you
      > should only enter into this stage if you are comfortable with Scrum,
      if the
      > Scrum Master acknowledges that everybody is following the rules and
      if THE
      > TEAM feels the need to adjust the way they work in order to perform
      better.
      > We are still in this phase (after more than 2 years), so I won't even go
      > into details about the final stage (Ri : transcend the rules).
      >
      > Another good starting point would be Scrum training (nowadays
      offered just
      > about anywhere) or a one-week coaching session from a CST (lots of
      them on
      > this list). Basically you guys need to learn how to crawl and walk,
      before
      > you start running. And obviously you will need committment from the
      other
      > divisions, too. 'Coz without that you are just trying to put a
      square peg
      > into a round hole.
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > Wolfgang