Re: [scrumdevelopment] Amount of user stories in sprint

  • Rodney Wynn
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
      Lasse

      The points per story are very seldom over 8 points and never above 10 points.
      Usually the team completes a story or two a week to allow the sprint to be "done" on time.
      The 40 to 50 points (in the sprint) are several stories combined within the sprint.
      No way would the team ever accept let alone attempt to tackle a 50 point story.
      During the planning stage if the team identifies a story to contain over 10 points it is broken done into two or more stories.
      Apologies for the confusion on the point(s).

      Rodney

      Lasse Koskela <lasse.koskela@...> wrote:
      Hi Rodney,

      On Nov 20, 2007 3:44 PM, Rodney Wynn <wynn_bear@yahoo. com> wrote:
      > > Pavel Konnikov <konnikov@gmail. com> wrote:
      > > By the way, how much user stories are typically selected for sprint?
      >
      > The team I work with currently are doing 4 (Four) week sprints so we usually
      > pull 40 - 50 story points per sprint. After 6 (six) sprints we have
      > demonstrated the team can usually complete all 50 points worth of work in
      > the 4 week sprint.
      > The number of stories would be based on the point value not numbers of
      > stories.

      The danger with looking blindly (and I know Rodney is not suggesting
      you should) at the point value is that you might end up with one big
      50-point story "99% complete", which means you deliver nothing. This
      is why I coach teams towards having small enough user stories so that
      you can be sure to complete at least the majority of them. A team I'm
      currently coaching on their first sprint ended up with five user
      stories for 8 people. While I would've preferred splitting them
      further, it's much better than having just one or two that are
      estimated to be done by 11am on the last day of the sprint...

      Lasse

      --
      Lasse Koskela
      * Author of "Test Driven" (Manning Publications, 2007) *