Scrum at PMI event

  • Heber Ferraz-Leite
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
      Hi,

      You might find it interesting that a colleague and I had the opportunity to speak about scrum in a PMI event, the "Project & Portfolio Management Symposium 2007" of the PMI Chapter Austria.  This was a two-day event, including several "Special Interest Groups" during the second day.  One of those SIGs was about agile project management.  My colleague had contact with the people organizing the event, we offered to speak and where given the chance.

      I spoke for an hour about "agile theory", presenting papers supporting the need for a paradigm shift to agile and explaining scrum.  My colleague spoke about "how will we ever reach our project goals if they are a moving target" showing that agile is not as chaotic as some may think but requires great discipline, and that it can be introduced in a company used to a traditional management with traditional structures.

      About 40 people attended this SIG of the event.  About 1/3 had previous scrum experience, the rest came because they were curious and wanted to hear what it was about.  Although we had hoped for a larger audience I think we made a very good case for scrum.

      See http://www.dieprojektur.com/content.aspx?topic=events ... where the report is in german, but if you klick where it says "Herunterladen" you can see a pdf version of the slides we used, which were all held in english.

      Regards,

      Heber Ferraz-Leite
      Tel: (+43-699) 1810 6910
      skype: heber_ferrazleite
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007

        Nice going,

        Ken

[...]

        https://www. xing.com/ hp/heber_ ferrazleite

      • José Gonçalo Silva
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007

          Hello Heber,

          Nice presentation! J

          I saw some screenshots in your last slide… could you tell me what tools are those? I’m interested in tools that could help me manage my projects using scrum.

          Cheers,

          Jose Goncalo Silva

[...]

        • James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
            How was your reception from the PMI folks?

            Jimi
          • Bas Vodde
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
              Did you mentioned that no more project managers are needed?

              Bas

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
                <<< How was your reception from the PMI folks? >>>

                Actually it was quite good. Nobody said they didn't believe in it ... But
                of course it was helpful to have a top-manager from Amdocs Qpass doing the
                first keynote of the day who talked about the experiences he made while
                introducing scrum into his company during the last two years. When you hear
                someone from a well-known company in the telco business tell you about real
                life and how they have 200 people in scrum teams, you are not very likely to
                doubt it works.

                I spoke right after his keynote on the theory of why it works and how to
                make the process. Our presentations had been coordinated in beforehand so
                they would match together.

                One key point that this other person mentioned about how he convinced other
                managers is that they would gain productivity by utilizing the skill overlap
                of the people. An example: they used to have a group of people dedicated to
                server management, installation of new software, rebooting webservers, etc.
                At times this group would become the bottleneck, because they had so much to
                do on so many different servers that whole teams were waiting for them.
                This is completely unnecessary, as the great majority of developers are
                perfectly able to shutdown an application server, change a configuration and
                restart the server on their own. This operations bottleneck was highlighted
                by some teams as impediments during their retrospectives, and so they
                changed the policy on who was allowed to manage the servers and how to
                coordinate that with the other groups.

                Boost productivity by utilizing skill overlap. I like that idea. I think
                it is a great selling point for the cross-functional team approach.

                Another interesting conversation was from someone who came to ask me how to
                deal with politics. He mentioned that one of the problems in his projects
                was contradicting requirements coming from different business departments,
                where every department wants the software to behave their way and they are
                not willing to compromise with the others. I told him that this is not an
                issue scrum (or any methodology) would solve, but that scrum would make it
                very transparent, because not having clear requirements would show up as
                impediment during the very first sprint. I told him that scrum addresses
                this issue by requiring a product owner who is empowered to make decisions.
                He told me there was no way any of these business units would empower
                anybody external to their unit to make decisions for them ... And I told him
                I don't see how scrum or any other methodology would solve his problem, as
                it is not a process but a "people-don't-want-to-give-up-power" issue. He
                agreed.

                Take care,

                Heber