RE: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM and TickIT 5.0

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2004
      I successfully used Scrum at a company that was a software provider to a
      company that was ISO 9001 certified. We ourselves did not need to pass a
      pure ISO 9001 audit but we did have to pass an audit from the company we
      were supplying to. Their audit of us exactly followed the ISO 9001 rules. We
      passed with flying colors. Prior to the audit we had to put in place a
      Quality Systems Manual and as part of the audit we added some additional
      procedures. For example, we created a document that showed how we would test
      each item brought into the sprint backlog. We started by writing the doc
      manually but were headed toward where we could generate the doc from
      comments in our JUnit tests and FitNesse tests. We also added trivial things
      like we had to keep a "training record" for each employee.

      We probably added 2-3 hours of total (not per person) overhead to the sprint
      for a 6 person team doing 4 week sprints. The three hours were a waste in
      terms of producing better software but they were necessary to convince the
      client we were following adequate engineering practices in their minds.

      --Mike