RE: [scrumdevelopment] Iteration Length

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 11, 2004
      Does the length of the iteration have any impact on the granularity of the
      input (Stories, Product Backlog). What is the type of demonstration that is
      desired at the end of the iteration?
      Ken

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 12, 2004
        Ken Schwaber wrote:

        >Does the length of the iteration have any impact on the granularity of the
        >input (Stories, Product Backlog). What is the type of demonstration that is
        >desired at the end of the iteration?

        The sizing of iteration stories isn't impacted by iteration length, at least the way we do it. At the end of each iteration, a customer demonstrates the new features we've added to the system. Of late, the customer also demonstrates some of the FIT-based storytests we've produced. Upper management attends these iteration demonstrations. We find that they like to see both the system and a few of its new storytests.

        best regards,
        jk

        --
        I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
        Joshua Kerievsky
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
          Actually, weeks are natural too. They correspond to the phases of the moon
          New moon, waxing quarter, full moon, waning quarter.

          Steven Gordon wrote:

          > That would argue that days and months (and years) are natural, but not
          > weeks.

        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
            Devon Miller wrote:

            > Actually, weeks are natural too. They correspond to
            > the phases of the moon
            > New moon, waxing quarter, full moon, waning quarter.

            Ken pointed out he forbade the Industrial Logic
            metaphor of "nebulous units of time" because nobody
            needed "we got big NUTs" getting back to any number of
            Human Resource Departments.

            (I wax nostalgic for Omnigon's way cool HR department.
            Whenever she wandered into the programming pit we'd
            drop what we were doing and indulge in the most
            advanced and witty HR harrassment. She know'd she'd
            had to start this with her standard lecture at hiring
            time; we all had a blast. But some HR is hired because
            they help the brass think they'l reduce their odds of
            getting sued.)

            Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
            don't "believe in" bicameralism, or this or that
            diety, or lunar phases, to opt-out without limiting
            their own career.

            A lunar week is a nebulous unit of time - 7 days ~11
            hours - and matching iterations to it would cause
            friction on two fronts - the business calendar and the
            diversity aspect.

            But evoking biological circadian rhythms as the
            natural basis for our calendar, and iteration lengths,
            might be pragmatic.

            =====
            Phlip

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
          • Doug Swartz
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
              Saturday, February 14, 2004, 4:52:41 AM, Phlip wrote:

              > Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
              > don't "believe in" bicameralism, ....

              Some of us in Nebraska, various Canadian provinces, and 50
              some democratic nations around the world, take issue with your
              blatant anti-unicameral bias. Our "uni's" are just as capable
              of passing stupid legislation at the speed of a glacier, as
              your "bi's"! But, we only have to pay one legislator, instead
              of two.

              The moderators of this esteemed list should take note of your
              predilection to promote mono-culture and consider banning your
              deviant opinions from the list.

              --

              ;-)
              Doug Swartz
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                Doug Swartz wrote:

                > Phlip wrote:
                >
                > > Workplace diversity requires us to allow folks who
                > > don't "believe in" bicameralism, ....
                >
                > Some of us in Nebraska, various Canadian provinces,
                > and 50
                > some democratic nations around the world, take issue
                > with your
                > blatant anti-unicameral bias. Our "uni's" are just
                > as capable
                > of passing stupid legislation at the speed of a
                > glacier, as
                > your "bi's"! But, we only have to pay one
                > legislator, instead
                > of two.

                <ponderously>
                And that was how, in early 2004, the
                beginnings of a schism appeared in the
                previously solid mailing list,
                ScrumDevelopment...
                </ponderously>

                > The moderators of this esteemed list should take
                > note of your
                > predilection to promote mono-culture and consider
                > banning your
                > deviant opinions from the list.

                Hey - my coffee is shade-grown, pal!

                > ;-)
                > Doug Swartz
                > daswartz@...

                ( http://eatthestate.org/05-22/FairTradeCoffee.htm for
                those who didn't catch that last one... )

                =====