RE: [scrumdevelopment] To SCRUM or not

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
      You may be interested in an article in The Australian newspaper IT section of October 16th, 2007, entitled "Changing course to dry up the waterfall model".

      The story is about the adoption of agile methods by "Five years as the head of IT at some of Australia's largest businesses has given Suncorp CIO Jeff Smith a reputation ..."

      "Mr Smith urged businesses to consider dumping the dominant waterfall system of project management which relies on heavy-duty governance structures , linear phases and gating".

      "You know why we do the sign-offs at the end of each phase? It adds no value and it was put in place to fail. The reason we do sign-offs is so we can b;ame someone later on, when something fails".

      The article is in this vein. Unfortunately it does not seem to be available to be read online.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: banibrata.dutta@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:37:12 +0530
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] To SCRUM or not

      My issue with Scrum is not a fight against management (thankfully) , but against ignorance and limited knowledge and experience with usage of "pure" Scrum within the team itself :-) ! I am more of less sold on the benefits of Scrum, but I've been hearing few PoV's on "all or nothing" approaches to Scrum, which have led me to think that Scrum'ming with partial knowledge of the same, may mess more things than it may sort.

      What you wrote appears quite appealing and an interesting suggestion, -- a middle path (apparently) , setting the way for pure Scrum eventually. Also that link about IID & mini-waterfall was very helpful.

      - bani

      On 10/30/07, Martin Jul - Ative <mj@...> wrote:

      Banibrata,

      Even if you don't want to change entirely to Scrum I would at least take a few of the practises:

      First, I would introduce iterative development driven by business value - implement the most business-valuable features first, and deliver production-ready, running, tested software in small increments, say bi-weekly. Since you are on a tight deadline this takes a lot of the risk out of the project - or rather, moves the risk to the lowest-value features rather than any feature.

      Also, even if management does not think there will be much change my experience is that they get inspired at the demos of working software and see all the missing features and the features in the spec that are not really needed.

      Inside an iteration make sure that you are not doing a mini-waterfall (see my post Iterative Development Gone Wrong about the Mini-Waterfall http://community. ative.dk/ blogs/ative/ archive/2007/ 03/18/Iterative- Development- Gone-Wrong- _2D00_-The- Mini_2D00_ Waterfall- Anti_2D00_ Pattern.aspx). Rather, try to teach people to complete the application feature-by-feature.

      Using a daily stand-up meeting to talk project and a status indicator such as a burndown chart is really useful, too. If you are used to estimating in hours you can use this - you don't need to learn user stories to get benefit. Just track the total estimated-time- remaining for the tasks in the iteration every day and you will have good visibility into you status.

      Also, if you have to deliver frequently you will see all the impediments in your organisation - so even if you don't call your project manager a Scrum Master, listen to the team and try to help the team work around the dysfunctions of the organisation - or change it for the better if possible.

      I realize the above has most of Scrum in it, albeit with other wording, so I guess it is kind of a Trojan Horse approach to implementing Scrum - or at read it as an advice to get the "frequent delivery of valuable business functionality" cycle going and then take it from there.

      Best regards,
      Martin

      Martin Jul, partner A|T|I|V|E|
      www.ative.dk <http://www.ative. dk/> | mj@... <mailto:mj@...> | +45 21 63 34 72|

      Lav bedre software hurtigere!
      Vær med på http://community. ative.dk/ blogs/ <http://community. ative.dk/ blogs/>

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
        The article:

        http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22667903-
        24170,00.html

        I think for organizations that are resistant to Agile methods you'll
        have to find a way to reframe Agile. What is the value of the method
        and how can you inject the value of Scrum into daily practice, not as
        Scrum officially but as a set of good practices (standups, continuous
        delivery, ...)? People who believe that sequential linear processes
        are what they must have refuse to believe anything else is possible.

        Dan

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Roy Morien <roymorien@...>
        wrote:

        > You may be interested in an article in The Australian newspaper IT
        section of October 16th, 2007, entitled "Changing course to dry up
        the waterfall model".

        > The story is about the adoption of agile methods by "Five years as
        the head of IT at some of Australia's largest businesses has given
        Suncorp CIO Jeff Smith a reputation ..."

        > "Mr Smith urged businesses to consider dumping the dominant
        waterfall system of project management which relies on heavy-duty
        governance structures , linear phases and gating".

        > "You know why we do the sign-offs at the end of each phase? It adds
        no value and it was put in place to fail. The reason we do sign-offs
        is so we can b;ame someone later on, when something fails".

        > The article is in this vein. Unfortunately it does not seem to be
        available to be read online.

        > Regards,
        > Roy Morien
        >

        > To: scrumdevelopment@...: banibrata.dutta@...: Tue, 30 Oct 2007
        19:37:12 +0530Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] To SCRUM or not

        Fra: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com på vegne af Banibrata
        DuttaSendt: ti 30-10-2007 11:01 Til: scrumdevelopment@...:
        [scrumdevelopment] To SCRUM or not
        > Hi,I've been following this group's posts for a while, and also
        have read some bit of material on Scrum etc., however, in everyother
        way, my experience with Scrum is "theoretical". Given a situation
        description, I'd request the practitioners and experts to kindly
        comment, if Scrum would be appropriate in the given situation or not.
        1) Product in question (objective of development), as we understand
        it currently, has 15% UI/presentation, 70% application (business)
        logic, 15% support utilities/tools.2) Development team is a mix of
        people with varying skill-sets and expertise. Some actually are
        fairly good already, and some need some (infrequent) hand-holding.
        Team though is a lot more comfortable with waterfall model. 3) No one
        with real Scrum experience (no purists), however, people have some
        exposure to Scrum-like methodologies. There is no certified Scrum
        master, and most of all, no budget to hire an expert to tutor / hand-
        hold this team (or Scrum master). 4) Development schedule is quite
        tight. 5) 75% of product requirements are known upfront (right now).
        Only 25% is expected to evolve / change in next 3-4 months. Real-
        customer (external) doesn't care about Agility, and doesn't need to /
        expect-to see snapshots periodically (well they'd be happy to see
        monthly or every-other-monthly milestone based progress). However,
        considering our management as an internal customer, they'd like to
        see more frequent milestones being met. To me, it looks like
        something with which Scrum would be too much of a risk (at the
        moment), and might be simpler to stick to waterfall. Comments and
        suggestions are more than welcome.thanks & regards, Banibrata

        > It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
        > http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%
        2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%
        5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT

      • Roy Morien
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
          Thanks Dan. :)

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: dsw@...
          Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:39:41 +0000
          Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: To SCRUM or not

          Fra: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com på vegne af Banibrata
          DuttaSendt: ti 30-10-2007 11:01 Til: scrumdevelopment@ ...:
          [scrumdevelopment] To SCRUM or not
          > Hi,I've been following this group's posts for a while, and also
          have read some bit of material on Scrum etc., however, in everyother
          way, my experience with Scrum is "theoretical" . Given a situation
          description, I'd request the practitioners and experts to kindly
          comment, if Scrum would be appropriate in the given situation or not.
          1) Product in question (objective of development) , as we understand
          it currently, has 15% UI/presentation, 70% application (business)
          logic, 15% support utilities/tools. 2) Development team is a mix of
          people with varying skill-sets and expertise. Some actually are
          fairly good already, and some need some (infrequent) hand-holding.
          Team though is a lot more comfortable with waterfall model. 3) No one
          with real Scrum experience (no purists), however, people have some
          exposure to Scrum-like methodologies. There is no certified Scrum
          master, and most of all, no budget to hire an expert to tutor / hand-
          hold this team (or Scrum master). 4) Development schedule is quite
          tight. 5) 75% of product requirements are known upfront (right now).
          Only 25% is expected to evolve / change in next 3-4 months. Real-
          customer (external) doesn't care about Agility, and doesn't need to /
          expect-to see snapshots periodically (well they'd be happy to see
          monthly or every-other- monthly milestone based progress). However,
          considering our management as an internal customer, they'd like to
          see more frequent milestones being met. To me, it looks like
          something with which Scrum would be too much of a risk (at the
          moment), and might be simpler to stick to waterfall. Comments and
          suggestions are more than welcome.thanks & regards, Banibrata

          > It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com. au
          > http://a.ninemsn. com.au/b. aspx?URL= http%3A%2F% 2Fsecure% 2Dau%
          2Eimrworldwide% 2Ecom%2Fcgi% 2Dbin%2Fa% 2Fci%5F450304% 2Fet%5F2% 2Fcg%
          5F801459%2Fpi% 5F1004813% 2Fai%5F859641& _t=762955845& _r=tig_OCT07& _m=EXT

          Check our comprehensive Salary Centre Overpaid or Underpaid?
        • Roy Morien
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
            I supervised nearly 60 student industrial experience projects during 2003 - 2004. I insisted on the student project groups doing these projects in an iterative fashion, at least. Whether they could really be said to be doing it in an agile manner is another matter, given that they had no clue whatever about what agile development meant.  My thoughts on the outcome of these projects were variously published, but perhaps the most complete is in the paper that was published in the IS Education Journal in 2005 (which I have attached for those who may be interested in reading it).

            I started with a cohort of students who had no information whatever about agile development, iterative development, Scrum. In fact, they had been inculcated in the waterfall approach, with heavy emphasis on documentation as the measure of project success (and academic success). I met even overt hostility at the start, and significant disbelief that the iterative approach, without full up-front analysis activity, was even viable, practical, allowable etc.

            However, even just requiring the students to get started and actually deliver small components of their system, able to be demonstrated to their client, very quickly caught their attention. They quickly realised that there were many beneficial outcomes. A happy client who could see progress almost immediately, greater confidence in themselves as being abe to deliver useable software quickly, greater satisfaction at seeing the client's delighted response etc etc.

            And this came about from very humble beginnings of using an iterative approach. There were no daily stand up meetings. The students had no idea about user stories. It was all very informal and not in accordance with any known agile approach; except iterative development, with real, useable results very early in the project activity. The niceties of Scrum or DSDM etc. would hopefully follow.

            Perhaps, Banibrata, you could follow this approach to get started. Softly, softly. Small successes building into bigger successes.

            Regards,
            Roy Morien

            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
            From: mj@...
            Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:59:21 +0000
            Subject: SV: [scrumdevelopment] To SCRUM or not

            www.ative.dk | mj@... | +45 21 63 34 72|

[...]

            Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?
          • Peter Hundermark
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Jul - Ative" <mj@...>
              wrote:

              > Banibrata,
              >

              > Even if you don't want to change entirely to Scrum I would at least
              take a few of the practises:

              > First, I would introduce iterative development driven by business
              value - implement the most business-valuable features first, and deliver
              production-ready, running, tested software in small increments, say
              bi-weekly. Since you are on a tight deadline this takes a lot of the
              risk out of the project - or rather, moves the risk to the lowest-value
              features rather than any feature.

              > Also, even if management does not think there will be much change my
              experience is that they get inspired at the demos of working software
              and see all the missing features and the features in the spec that are
              not really needed.

              > Inside an iteration make sure that you are not doing a mini-waterfall
              (see my post Iterative Development Gone Wrong about the Mini-Waterfall
              http://community.ative.dk/blogs/ative/archive/2007/03/18/Iterative-Devel\
              opment-Gone-Wrong-_2D00_-The-Mini_2D00_Waterfall-Anti_2D00_Pattern.aspx)\
              . Rather, try to teach people to complete the application
              feature-by-feature.

              > Using a daily stand-up meeting to talk project and a status indicator
              such as a burndown chart is really useful, too. If you are used to
              estimating in hours you can use this - you don't need to learn user
              stories to get benefit. Just track the total estimated-time-remaining
              for the tasks in the iteration every day and you will have good
              visibility into you status.

              > Also, if you have to deliver frequently you will see all the
              impediments in your organisation - so even if you don't call your
              project manager a Scrum Master, listen to the team and try to help the
              team work around the dysfunctions of the organisation - or change it for
              the better if possible.

              > I realize the above has most of Scrum in it, albeit with other
              wording, so I guess it is kind of a Trojan Horse approach to
              implementing Scrum - or at read it as an advice to get the "frequent
              delivery of valuable business functionality" cycle going and then take
              it from there.

              Martin,

              I find your description appealing, yet for me there are some gaps that
              need filling:

              1. You refer to prioritising feature development by business value. In
              the absence of a formal sprint planning session, how does the team get
              to know what to do?

              2. You refer to delivering production-ready software bi-weekly
              [fortnightly?]. In the absence of a formal review, to whom are these
              shown or delivered and how does the team know that they are, indeed,
              shippable?

              3. You mention the team seeing the impediments in the organisation. In
              the absence of a formal retrospective, when and how does the team expose
              these or examine and improve its process?

              4. You mention listening to the team and trying to help them. Who does
              this? What (Scrum) skills does she need to do this?

              I'm always curious to learn more about managing people's fear of change.

              -ph